Rams Defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Can you give us your thoughts on the Rams Defense that Jeff Fisher and Les Snead have put together? Am I being overly optimistic thinking this unit is going to be very, very good? By adding veteran free agents Cortland Finnegan, Rocky McIntosh, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Kendall Langford, William Hayes, Trevor Laws and Mario Haggan along with drafting Michael Brockers, Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson and Aaron Brown it seems to me that the Rams not only upgraded several positions on their Defense but also greatlly improved their depth as well. As excited as I am to seeing what the Rams Offense can do with Sam Bradford and his new weapons (Quick, Pead, Givens, Smith, etc) I can't wait to see their new Defense in action! I honestly think Jeff Fisher will have the Rams back to respectability and playoff contention much sooner than many people (other than us Rams Fans!) think!
Thanks so much for sharing your time and thoughts with us!

kdemoff

UDFA
I share your optimism regarding the defense. I think the most important area we needed to improve was the defensive tackle position, and there is nothing better than seeing two 6'5, 320 lb monsters in Kendall Langford and Michael Brockers standing along the defensive line. That will make James Laurinaitis better, it will make Robert Quinn and Chris Long better, it makes our safeties better. The defensive line has strong depth and can be together for a long time if we can get Chris Long under contract. The other three are under contract for at least the next four years.

Most important for the secondary will be a return to health. This team will be better just from having a healthy Bradley Fletcher and Jerome Murphy, but add in the additions of Finnegan, Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson and you have the makings of a strong group. Josh Gordy proved that he can help last year and even young players like Kendric Burney have shown flashes this offseason. The safety position has 3 stalwarts in Mikell, Stewart and Dahl returning and the competition between our undrafted FA safeties for the final spot will be intense.

At linebacker, this defense needs a leader at MLB and we have just that in #55. Jo-Lonn Dunbar knows the defense and adds young toughness on the outside and Josh Hull, Mario Haggan and Rocky McIntosh will be a good battle for the other spot. The young LB's are all in the mix as well and don't be surprised to see them sneak into the lineup this season.

I hope we have the right ingredients to begin to come together pretty quickly.