Rams DE John Franklin-Myers primed for breakthrough rookie season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN

May 26, 2018 | Jake Ellenbogen
227364_148a199307b04bb78fe81b43810e4aac~mv2_d_2400_1600_s_2.webp

The Rams turned some heads when they selected the edge defender out of Stephen F. Austin, but John Franklin-Myers might end up being the star of their class when it's all said and done...

Rams rookie Franklin-Myers is 6-foot-4 and 283 pounds but moves extremely well and it allows to him play on the line or the edge. His body type and athletic profile match former Wade Phillips drafted players J.J. Watt and Adam Gotsis. Obviously, Watt is the bigger name there and for awhile he looked like the best defensive player in football. Franklin-Myers has that same similar build which would make him an extra large outside linebacker.

Watt his rookie year had 5.5 sacks, 56 tackles and two fumble recoveries as a 16-game starter. It's not to say Franklin-Myers is going to be the next Watt, but an injury to Morgan Fox and the fact he's a fourth-round pick in a draft that had the Rams picking as high as the third round this year, will give him some serious opportunity. None of these draft picks are slated to start but Franklin-Myers playing on the same line as Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh, Michael Brockers and Dominique Easley will allow him plenty of opportunities to learn and grow under their's and coach Wade Phillips' tutelage. The Rams key with this defense will be their defensive depth, they can rotate all around the line and Franklin-Myers is going to benefit from it for sure.

When Franklin-Myers came onto The Downtown Rams Podcast to guest host it with me he mentioned that he saw himself as a Michael Bennett type of player. The Rams rookie played at almost 300 pounds and slimmed down to the 280-pound range. He has a chance to be one of the more powerful 3-4 defensive ends in the league. He displayed plenty of quickness and sheer power on his college tape and that's sure to translate and then some with the Rams moving forward.

Every draft we find a few "diamonds in the rough" so to speak. I believe that when you look at John Franklin-Myers he embodies just that. Coming from a small school, not being heavily recruited because he played for an 0-40 high school football team and was not invited to the Senior Bowl. He tested well at the combine and put on some explosive tape but he didn't play across from any true NFL talent. These are the same things you see when you look back at a guy's career and wonder how teams missed on him. Franklin-Myers sets off that same kind of vibe.

With the coaches in the Rams organization, the amount of talent and the way the modern game has changed, it's likely Franklin-Myers is in the driver's seat to do some damage this season. Does he need to refine his technique? Sure, but his explosion, aggressive nature and his motor are going to propel him into the starting lineup down the road. Expect big things from the former Lumberjack sack artist.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Franklin-Myers, Bristol-Myers, Oscar Mayer, whatever the surname, just rush the passer.

Ram65

Legend
I've been going with JFM but I do like J Frank.

He will be on the roster after being drafted in round 4. Long way to opening day. Hope he can contribute. He could be the one to give Brockers a rest.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I were to guess which rookie is going to have a break this season, it wouldnt be jfm. But i hope he does!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

May 26, 2018 | Jake Ellenbogen
227364_148a199307b04bb78fe81b43810e4aac~mv2_d_2400_1600_s_2.webp

The Rams turned some heads when they selected the edge defender out of Stephen F. Austin, but John Franklin-Myers might end up being the star of their class when it's all said and done...

Rams rookie Franklin-Myers is 6-foot-4 and 283 pounds but moves extremely well and it allows to him play on the line or the edge. His body type and athletic profile match former Wade Phillips drafted players J.J. Watt and Adam Gotsis. Obviously, Watt is the bigger name there and for awhile he looked like the best defensive player in football. Franklin-Myers has that same similar build which would make him an extra large outside linebacker.

Watt his rookie year had 5.5 sacks, 56 tackles and two fumble recoveries as a 16-game starter. It's not to say Franklin-Myers is going to be the next Watt, but an injury to Morgan Fox and the fact he's a fourth-round pick in a draft that had the Rams picking as high as the third round this year, will give him some serious opportunity. None of these draft picks are slated to start but Franklin-Myers playing on the same line as Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh, Michael Brockers and Dominique Easley will allow him plenty of opportunities to learn and grow under their's and coach Wade Phillips' tutelage. The Rams key with this defense will be their defensive depth, they can rotate all around the line and Franklin-Myers is going to benefit from it for sure.

When Franklin-Myers came onto The Downtown Rams Podcast to guest host it with me he mentioned that he saw himself as a Michael Bennett type of player. The Rams rookie played at almost 300 pounds and slimmed down to the 280-pound range. He has a chance to be one of the more powerful 3-4 defensive ends in the league. He displayed plenty of quickness and sheer power on his college tape and that's sure to translate and then some with the Rams moving forward.

Every draft we find a few "diamonds in the rough" so to speak. I believe that when you look at John Franklin-Myers he embodies just that. Coming from a small school, not being heavily recruited because he played for an 0-40 high school football team and was not invited to the Senior Bowl. He tested well at the combine and put on some explosive tape but he didn't play across from any true NFL talent. These are the same things you see when you look back at a guy's career and wonder how teams missed on him. Franklin-Myers sets off that same kind of vibe.

With the coaches in the Rams organization, the amount of talent and the way the modern game has changed, it's likely Franklin-Myers is in the driver's seat to do some damage this season. Does he need to refine his technique? Sure, but his explosion, aggressive nature and his motor are going to propel him into the starting lineup down the road. Expect big things from the former Lumberjack sack artist.

Using sure a couple times is a little strong.

D.Easley is a guy I’m looking forward to seeing on the grass!! I think The Rams training staff is really protecting the players.

This is one of the same things that makes McVay great morning forward.He trusts the process & is a leader of men.He allows Teggie to do his thing & they bring ideas that work best to The for front.

Easley & Fox both had there knees. This are 2 of the worst injuries The Rams have had under McVay & add Obo as well.You talk about Barron getting released? I just think when the season comes around The Rams are going to start to peak early.There is a reason during the season The Rams have stayed healthy compared to teams around The NFL.

I just think it is way to early to project a rookie being a sure starter.I totally dug The Rams episode on Facebook with RB Kelly. To see how he shreds as a skateboarder total kick ass. I think LA is a great place for him & a surfboard should be in his future soon.

JFM — I keep an eye out for him , but at this point I don’t even know what number he is going to wear?

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Using sure a couple times is a little strong.

D.Easley is a guy I’m looking forward to seeing on the grass!! I think The Rams training staff is really protecting the players.

This is one of the same things that makes McVay great morning forward.He trusts the process & is a leader of men.He allows Teggie to do his thing & they bring ideas that work best to The for front.

Easley & Fox both had there knees. This are 2 of the worst injuries The Rams have had under McVay & add Obo as well.You talk about Barron getting released? I just think when the season comes around The Rams are going to start to peak early.There is a reason during the season The Rams have stayed healthy compared to teams around The NFL.

I just think it is way to early to project a rookie being a sure starter.I totally dug The Rams episode on Facebook with RB Kelly. To see how he shreds as a skateboarder total kick ass. I think LA is a great place for him & a surfboard should be in his future soon.

JFM — I keep an eye out for him , but at this point I don’t even know what number he is going to wear?
JFM will be wear 57

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Love the measureables....6'4, 280....runs a 4.7 with strong hands.

Checks the boxes....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Injuries & surgeries to who were our top starting OLB prospects sure leaves a empty path for John Franklin-Meyers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah- thanks.

I looked it up. A strange number for him though ? He played DT in college & seems to be more of a DEnwith The Rams. 57 is such a LBer # number.
When I saw he played some DT in college I also thought it was a very long shot for the Rams to consider JK-M as a OLB/Edge Rusher but since the draft & the loss of Okoronkwo & Fox things the stars in heaven have been moved here for our new rookie #57.

One would think now that when we see the Rams move past DL'ers like Rob Quinn, Matt Longacre & Morgan Fox into the Edge Rusher/OLB'er positions in this Wade defense ...its not that out of the norm to consider the moving of rookie JK-M.

He sure looks like the future 5-technique DL'er for Wade on that left/strong side but a way too light running in the low 280's earlier. Brockers runs between 300 to 305 lbs area. However Ethan Westbrooks who was the initial regular 2017 season starter @ 5 tech played it at approx 6-4/283lbs.

If JK-M has been trending downward in lbs. now since the first of the year JF-M might find it easy to continue downward. The 6-4 wingspan is nice on that side & the Rams suffered greatly on that half with Barwin & Ogletree starting as our strong side LB'ers against the run. 2nd yr OLB Ebukam does not have that height or girth @ 6-3 240. If Fox who was 6-3/275 lbs was a good fit on that left ER post then JF-M is not that far behind is he?

One would think that IF Longacre/JF-M or a Trevon Young were to man the ER posts we would have enough beef to stop the run finally.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
When I saw he played some DT in college I also thought it was a very long shot for the Rams to consider JK-M as a OLB/Edge Rusher but since the draft & the loss of Okoronkwo & Fox things the stars in heaven have been moved here for our new rookie #57.

One would think now that when we see the Rams move past DL'ers like Rob Quinn, Matt Longacre & Morgan Fox into the Edge Rusher/OLB'er positions in this Wade defense ...its not that out of the norm to consider the moving of rookie JK-M.

He sure looks like the future 5-technique DL'er for Wade on that left/strong side but a way too light running in the low 280's earlier. Brockers runs between 300 to 305 lbs area. However Ethan Westbrooks who was the initial regular 2017 season starter @ 5 tech played it at approx 6-4/283lbs.

If JK-M has been trending downward in lbs. now since the first of the year JF-M might find it easy to continue downward. The 6-4 wingspan is nice on that side & the Rams suffered greatly on that half with Barwin & Ogletree starting as our strong side LB'ers against the run. 2nd yr OLB Ebukam does not have that height or girth @ 6-3 240. If Fox who was 6-3/275 lbs was a good fit on that left ER post then JF-M is not that far behind is he?

One would think that IF Longacre/JF-M or a Trevon Young were to man the ER posts we would have enough beef to stop the run finally.

At this point , I honestly have no idea. Sounds good , but I’ve been a Westbrook’s fan as well.

McVay talked early about 4 LBers on The Rams roster.
1.Hager
2.Samson
3.Wilson
4.Littleton

At DE a rookie is going to have to be called upon for quality playing time.

With Wades 3/4 defense it changes up a lot from personal during downs. It is very intriguing. I don’t have a true vision at all.

John Johnson was a surprise with The Rams cutting Mo Alexander, so I didn’t see that coming last season when it happened. I know Monwas playing poorly.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I thought Obo would be the best candidate for a rookie breakthrough but he's going be behind with the surgery. I suppose JFM is as good a candidate as any.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I thought Obo would be the best candidate for a rookie breakthrough but he's going be behind with the surgery. I suppose JFM is as good a candidate as any.

Morgan Fox went from DT udfa , to DE, & was actually lining up in OTA’s as a real outside LBer in Barwins place.

John Franklin-Myers I believe will be a back up rotation guy with Matt Longacre. He is a DL
guy. He actually might have a chance to start ? Longacre of course will get first shot,but he is only good for so many reps. He goes full speed all the time. High energy.

JFM - from looking at his stance, will get off the ball well from the edge. He gets so low, & fires with burst.He will be coached up, & has Robert Quinn type speed.