Rams D line as of this moment

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Young - DeJuan - Bobby Brown - Turner - Hoecht
Hampton - XXXXXX - Murchinson - Durden - Mathis

Kier Thomas

I just want people to get a bit of a visual of what we're looking at and what we might expect from this draft. Sadly, it's not a great draft for OLB or Dline but we need help and we need a lot. Once we get past day 2, I don't think there's much if anything to be had on the Dline in this draft and there's nothing really after the top of the 2nd round at OLB.

Currently we're not even two deep on the Dline given the big XXXX spot of the depth chart at DE, additionally, Brown has just the year left on his contract and while he improved dramatically, still needs to work on consistency. No clue who Durden is.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think the Rams need to come away with at least one OLB, one DE and one DT in this draft. That's why I'm bearish on some position groups in this draft unless the value is really exceptional. I don't see us drafting a ILB any time soon, maybe a depth guy late in the draft. I could see us grabbing a WR if the value is there because it's so exceptional early but don't see us grabbing a RB till late.

I expect 2 of our picks in the top 100 will come at OLB, DE or DT.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Scared Kermit The Frog GIF

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
As it sits now, we might have the worst DL in the league. Outside of Turner and Young, there is replacement level across the board. Brown definitely played better last year then he ever has, which is a nice sign. Murchison was awful, as was Desjuan.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
As it sits now, we might have the worst DL in the league. Outside of Turner and Young, there is replacement level across the board. Brown definitely played better last year then he ever has, which is a nice sign. Murchison was awful, as was Desjuan.

Personally, I disagree on Desjuan Johnson. In just 100 defensive snaps, I thought he was active and flashed.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Desjuan Johnson was actually very good. Remember, he forced the fumble with Sam Darnold. Finished with two sacks and racked up a lot of run stops.

Considering that he's our Mr. Irrelevant and was mainly a backup to the backups to start, I thought he did very well.

Also, I've still got faith in Hampton to make plays as a pseudo inside linebacker.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Must be like your faith in the good lord as I see no evidence of this.

Not getting into religion, but my fate is my own. I have faith in Hampton and Johnson. They flashed in limited snaps. Also have faith in Warren McClendon, Davis Allen, Jason Taylor II, and Ethan Evans. It could end up being a hell of a draft class.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In the past, Snead has peppered positions of need with multiple picks in the draft... CB, OL...

If past is predictor, we may see them throw a ton of picks at DL.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not getting into religion, but my fate is my own. I have faith in Hampton and Johnson. They flashed in limited snaps. Also have faith in Warren McClendon, Davis Allen, Jason Taylor II, and Ethan Evans. It could end up being a hell of a draft class.
Wait... what snaps did Hampton flash in?!!

Memento

Name
Jemma
Wait... what snaps did Hampton flash in?!!

Multiple tackles at the line of scrimmage, a batted pass against the Ravens. I don't think he's an edge rusher, but I think as a second inside linebacker, he could be great.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Based on?

He was edge in high school, college and NFL.

He's an edge.

Based on his height/weight/sideline-to-sideline speed. I'm not saying he can't rush the passer, that he hasn't played edge, but I think he could also excel in coverage, play a pseudo weak-side backer (like he was playing when he started with us).

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
It’s hyperbole to say there are no prospects worth drafting on the D line past the top of round 2. This is a stronger draft at other positions, yes, but that’s true of every draft and in most the best players hardly if ever all get drafted by the top of round 2!

A starting Edge with a situational pass rusher plus one or DTs/Ends with sand in their pants and we could be in business

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Based on his height/weight/sideline-to-sideline speed.
I have never seen him display "sideline to sideline speed". Maybe you have

Have only seen college highlights and NFL -- all snaps, pre and reg season ... I think you may be just saying he's small and fast.

There is more to playing ILber than that. Reading keys, experience ... it's much different that a DE moving to oLBer like Hoecht did. The principles in run game as pass rush the same. We saw what problems he had in coverage ... that had to have been something he'd never done before.

Rams are not going to move Hampton to ILBer because he's small. They drafted him because he was fast and showed some pass rush skills in college.

The ILBers will be Jones ----- and Roze, Hummell, Fatukasi, and Reeder and/or if they draft or sign one and keep the top 4

(like he was playing when he started).
When was that? When have you seen him as anything but an edge?

I never saw him in college (highlights only) or HS but looked it up and he's never played anything but edge, was recruited as a DE and so on.

Just don't see it.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I have never seen him display "sideline to sideline speed". Maybe you have

Have only seen college highlights and NFL -- all snaps, pre and reg season ... I think you may be just saying he's small and fast.

There is more to playing ILber than that. Reading keys, experience ... it's much different that a DE moving to oLBer like Hoecht did. The principles in run game as pass rush the same. We saw what problems he had in coverage ... that had to have been something he'd never done before.

Rams are not going to move Hampton to ILBer because he's small. They drafted him because he was fast and showed some pass rush skills in college.

The ILBers will be Jones ----- and Roze, Hummell, Fatukasi, and Reeder and/or if they draft or sign one and keep the top 4

When was that? When have you seen him as anything but an edge?

I never saw him in college (highlights only) or HS but looked it up and he's never played anything but edge, was recruited as a DE and so on.

Just don't see it.

I'm saying, he played a sort of 4-3 weakside backer role within the 3-4 system we had. That's how he was playing. And yes, part of it is because he's small and fast.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Add in Verse, Ruke and Jaylin Ford and it's infinitely better. Follow those up with one of a few of the Dat 3 NT types and another edge like my guy from Clemson and there's no worries.