Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
From Hammond-
FYI, Rams' traveling interview group includes Kevin Demoff, Les Snead, Tony (fuccck me gently) Pastors. At some point, Stan Kroenke also becomes involved.

How can a coach be honest about personnel when GM is in the room? Would prefer another football man being involved, but we'll see how it goes...

This is some kind of 7-9 bulls!t group aboard that jet

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
From Hammond-
FYI, Rams' traveling interview group includes Kevin Demoff, Les Snead, Tony (fuccck me gently) Pastors. At some point, Stan Kroenke also becomes involved.

How can a coach be honest about personnel when GM is in the room? Would prefer another football man being involved, but we'll see how it goes...

I am sure Snead has been briefed on the concerns that would come from him being there, like shutting his yap when his personnel are criticized. But it's also important to remember these coaches aren't wallflowers. They're not millenials looking for a safe place, they're football coaches who are going to look Demoff in the eye and tell it straight. And for those who don't, well, they're probably not the guy for us anyway.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He is interviewing today so we might hear something, or so I hope, since I would like them to give him a shot. The youth thing doesn't really bother me, tbh, because he has a veteran coach in Callahan working for him who was quoted in saying the kid's age doesn't matter. That carries immense weight with me for a guy like Bill Callahan to report to and work with him seamlessly like he does with no reservations, and shows what a unique talent McVay is as a coach.

I think if McVay was 35, this would be a no-brainer. Instead he's 30 and we're stuck on the guy's age and not what he brings to the table. Conventional wisdom doesn't really apply for a guy like this.

Man, if he could bring Callahan with him ... our OL is better instantly. Granted, he would have to make Callahan OC (not that I have a problem with that), but you know that would positively impact our OL situation.

As long as McVay stayed the playcaller, this would be best case scenario. No way Washington lets him leave though.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think if McVay was 35, this would be a no-brainer. Instead he's 30 and we're stuck on the guy's age and not what he brings to the table. Conventional wisdom doesn't really apply for a guy like this.

Funny this is now the excuse they are using for Josh McDaniels, he was 33 when he got the Denver job.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/rams-740325-shanahan-coach.html

Rams set to interview Shanahan, McDaniels, and Patricia

The Rams could come face to face with their next coach by the end of the weekend.

Among the 11 presumed candidates for the job are Atlanta offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. A group of Rams executives will hit the road this weekend for formal interviews with the two candidates who are thought to be near the top of their wish list.

The Rams are scheduled to talk with Shanahan on Friday and McDaniels on Saturday, and while they’re in the neighborhood, they also will talk with New England defensive coordinator Matt Patricia.

Buffalo interim coach Anthony Lynn, previously the team’s offensive coordinator, also is scheduled to interview with the Rams this weekend in Florida.

Rams executives, led by Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Kevin Demoff, General Manager Les Snead and front-office Senior Assistant Tony Pastoors, will conduct the interviews. At some point, either this weekend or beyond, team owner Stan Kroenke will join the process.

“You want to sell (candidates) on the positives of the organization, but you want them to be honest with you about how they view your opportunity and your challenges,” Demoff said this week in an interview on the Rams’ official website.

Snead’s inclusion in the interview group seems notable. The Rams gave Snead a two-year contract extension before the start of the 2016 season but made it clear, after the December firing of Coach Jeff Fisher, that Snead’s status also would be evaluated during the offseason.

The Rams seem comfortable with hiring a coach before they declare whether or not Snead will return, but Snead’s inclusion in the interview process indicates, at least, that they’re seriously considering his return.

The Rams started the process this week, and hosted Washington offensive coordinator Sean McVay and Arizona offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin on Thursday. Carolina assistant head coach Steve Wilks also interviewed this week, and others likely will be added to the schedule next week.

Some of the interviews, it seems, are more about fact-finding. It’s notable that among the 11 candidates tied to the Rams, nine coached against the Rams this season.

So, bringing in some of the candidates – those who have a very low likelihood of being hired – presents the Rams with an opportunity to see how opponents view them.

“This is the best chance to learn about your football team and your organization that you’re going to get, ever,” Demoff said. “These people are walking in and saying, ‘Hey, I’ve played against your team and I’ve studied you. This is what I think your strengths are. This is what I think your weaknesses are.’”

The interest in Shanahan and McDaniels, though, is 100 percent pure.

Shanahan, 37, also is thought to be a top candidate in Denver, where his father, Mike, had a 14-year run as head coach and won the Super Bowl twice. Kyle Shanahan has never been a head coach but is well-regarded for his offensive mind and, in particular, for his work with quarterbacks.

The Rams need no introduction to McDaniels, 40, who is in the fifth year of his second stint as the Patriots’ offensive coordinator. McDaniels spent the 2011 season as the Rams’ offensive coordinator, after a two-year stint as head coach in Denver, where he went 11-17.

Shanahan is expected to interview with the Rams, Denver, Jacksonville and San Francisco, while McDaniels is expected to interview with the Rams, Jacksonville and San Francisco. A second round of interviews could be scheduled when their respective seasons end, or after the conference championship games, whichever comes first.

The Rams are free to talk to coaches whose seasons have ended. McVay, who turns 31 next month, could be the youngest head coach in NFL history. He is in his third season as Washington’s offensive coordinator.

One potential candidate seems to have removed himself from consideration. New Orleans fired five assistant coaches Thursday, a fairly clear indication that Coach Asshole Face intends to stay with the Saints and won’t be traded to the Rams.

Contact the writer: rhammond@scng.com

Zero

Pro Bowler
I like the Idea of him and Goff growing together and perfecting their
crafts.Could make for a special relationship,
I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on this guy.
Big things are ahead for McVay.Let's get this guy on his way up.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
As long as McVay stayed the playcaller, this would be best case scenario. No way Washington lets him leave though.

Yeah, I think it extremely unlikely that Washington lets Callahan follow McVay if the latter ends up with a HC job. It's fun to dream though.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
What has you scared of crap? Just wondering is all. Thx
I like most of what he's saying, it's the order of his priorities that scares me! and he doesn't seem overly concerned about the Assistant coaching staff and I'm very concerned about it!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The fact that Goff is at an early and crucial formative point in his career makes this type of approach a no-brainer in my estimation. Once he's an established entity and on track and if whoever they hire doesn't work out from an overall point of view then sure, go with a defensive guy or best coach available. But I want an offensive mind who will not be jerked out from over Goff the first moment he arrives.
I think bringing in the Best over-all coach can accomplish this^, he would bring in the best OC/QB Coach/Coaches to help Goff! JMHO

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Rams executives, led by Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Kevin Demoff, General Manager Les Snead and front-office Senior Assistant Tony Pastoors, will conduct the interviews.
Only one football guy...and Snead is still learning the ins & outs. How do they know what they're looking for? Didn't they also select Fisher? Why does this seem like groundhog day, 2011/2017 addition?

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
From Hammond-

If the coach cant be honest about personnel with the GM in the room, he isn't ready to be a head coach. This guy needs to be a leader and have direction. If he cant articulate the Rams personnel shortfalls in front of the GM he isn't the right guy. No guarantees Snead is safe either, so he could be ripping apart a personnel department thats not there when he gets hired anyway.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I want a head coach who is a bonafide expert on one side of the ball. A guy who we know can hold down the development of our QB, wideouts, and overall offense.

I dunno... Fisher held down Goff's development pretty well... *rimshot*

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Only one football guy...and Snead is still learning the ins & outs. How do they know what they're looking for? Didn't they also select Fisher? Why does this seem like groundhog day, 2011/2017 addition?

No. Kroenke wanted Fisher. And it was Fisher that hired Snead.