Rams coach Jeff Fisher interested in Mark Sanchez/USAToday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams coach Jeff Fisher interested in Mark Sanchez
Jim Corbett, USA TODAY Sports 8:49 p.m. EDT March 23, 2014

http://www.ksdk.com/story/sports/2014/03/23/rams-interested-mark-dsanchez-jeff-fisher/6804779/

ORLANDO – Count the St. Louis Rams as interested in former New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez following the fifth-year veteran's Friday release by the Jets.

"I'd say that there is interest. I can't say how much. But there certainly would be interest,'' Rams coach Jeff Fisher told USA TODAY Sports Sunday at the league's owners meetings. "I don't have a backup with experience on the roster right now.''

What the Rams have right now is starter Sam Bradford, who is five months removed from suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament last October. The backup at present is inexperienced second-year pro Austin Davis.

There is also Sanchez's connection to Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who served in the same capacity with the Jets from 2009 to 2011 with Sanchez.

Sanchez went 33-29 in four seasons as the Jets starter, including four road playoff wins, leading the Jets to back to back AFC Championship games after he was drafted fifth overall out of the University of Southern California in 2009.

Sanchez has thrown 68 career touchdown passes, 69 interceptions with a 55.1 completion percentage and a 71.7 passer rating.

He suffered a season-ending throwing shoulder injury last preseason that required surgery.

The decision to cut Sanchez was forced because he was due a $2 million roster bonus if he had remained on the team as of Monday.

When the Jets signed Philadelphia Eagles backup Michael Vick to a one-year, $5-million deal to compete with and push Geno Smith, Sanchez, 27, was released.

"Brian had a good relationship with Mark,'' Fisher said. "He's just learning. He's been to the AFC Championship game a couple of times, so he's been there.''

paceram

Pro Bowler
Rams coach Jeff Fisher interested in Mark Sanchez
Jim Corbett, USA TODAY Sports 8:49 p.m. EDT March 23, 2014

http://www.ksdk.com/story/sports/2014/03/23/rams-interested-mark-dsanchez-jeff-fisher/6804779/

ORLANDO – Count the St. Louis Rams as interested in former New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez following the fifth-year veteran's Friday release by the Jets.

"I'd say that there is interest. I can't say how much. But there certainly would be interest,'' Rams coach Jeff Fisher told USA TODAY Sports Sunday at the league's owners meetings. "I don't have a backup with experience on the roster right now.''

What the Rams have right now is starter Sam Bradford, who is five months removed from suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament last October. The backup at present is inexperienced second-year pro Austin Davis.

There is also Sanchez's connection to Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who served in the same capacity with the Jets from 2009 to 2011 with Sanchez.

Sanchez went 33-29 in four seasons as the Jets starter, including four road playoff wins, leading the Jets to back to back AFC Championship games after he was drafted fifth overall out of the University of Southern California in 2009.

Sanchez has thrown 68 career touchdown passes, 69 interceptions with a 55.1 completion percentage and a 71.7 passer rating.

He suffered a season-ending throwing shoulder injury last preseason that required surgery.

The decision to cut Sanchez was forced because he was due a $2 million roster bonus if he had remained on the team as of Monday.

When the Jets signed Philadelphia Eagles backup Michael Vick to a one-year, $5-million deal to compete with and push Geno Smith, Sanchez, 27, was released.

"Brian had a good relationship with Mark,'' Fisher said. "He's just learning. He's been to the AFC Championship game a couple of times, so he's been there.''

I hope the Rams sign him. Hopefully, Bradford stays healthy next season but if he does end up missing some playing time I would feel better knowing the Rams have a good backup to replace him.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jeff Fisher: Rams have interest in Mark Sanchez

By Dan Hanzus
Around the League Writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...eff-fisher-rams-have-interest-in-mark-sanchez

Mark Sanchez's tumultuous journey with the New York Jets is complete, but his NFL career will continue. Count the St. Louis Rams as one prospective suitor.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher confirmed Sunday that his team will have interest in signing the fifth-year quarterback, who was released by the Jets on Friday.

"I'd say that there is interest. I can't say how much. But there certainly would be interest," Fisher told USA Today's Jim Corbett on Sunday at the NFL owner meetings. "I don't have a backup with experience on the roster right now."

Kellen Clemens inked a two-year, $3 million deal with the San Diego Chargers last week, leaving only Austin Davis behind Sam Bradford on the Rams' depth chart. (No, not knowing who Austin Davis is does not make you a bad fan -- the 2012 undrafted free agent has never thrown a pass in the NFL.)

With Bradford recovering from surgery to repair a torn ACL, having a legitimate backup is doubly important. Enter Sanchez, who made 62 regular-season starts and six more in the playoffs.

Sanchez also has a prior relationship with Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who led the Jets' attack in Sanchez's first four seasons.

"Brian had a good relationship with Mark," Fisher said. "He's just learning. He's been to the AFC Championship game a couple of times, so he's been there."

The Jets did Sanchez no favors by waiting 11 days into the free-agent period before cutting the quarterback loose. St. Louis represents a sensible fit for Sanchez, though he'd have to come to terms with locking himself into a defined backup role. In truth, he's in a position where he might not have a better option.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Sure, he's not bad for the vet minimum. I can't say the move would excite me.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
It makes sense to pick him up. There is upside there.

No, no there's not. The Jets gave him every opportunity to succeed, and he didn't. A turnover machine doesn't fit this offense. He's a backup QB. The arrow is not pointing up past that.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
No, no there's not. The Jets gave him every opportunity to succeed, and he didn't. A turnover machine doesn't fit this offense. He's a backup QB. The arrow is not pointing up past that.

Yea the jets gave him opportunities to succeed sa a starter he will come here as a backup. Nothin more nothing less... He has 60+ games starting under his belt, playoff wins, and he is still young... name another backup with that resume. We can use him but we still need to draft a qb

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Yea the jets gave him opportunities to succeed sa a starter he will come here as a backup. Nothin more nothing less... He has 60+ games starting under his belt, playoff wins, and he is still young... name another backup with that resume. We can use him but we still need to draft a qb

I'm sure there's been plenty. Regardless, I agree. I just hope he doesn't cost shit, and is ready to be holding a clipboard on Sundays.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Not exciting, but safe (at the right price), familiar with Schotty I'd say he's an upgrade on KC, but I'd expect him to be looking for more than KC was too...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

seems like Fisher was just being polite. He was obviously asked if he had any interest in Sanchez. instead of saying no and dissing the guy he said they have some interest.