Rams--Chargers Scrimmage

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Offenses always start the year lagging behind defenses. And we were down 3/5 of our offensive line, and that Chargers defense has some elite talents on it. So I am not concerned about hearing the offense struggled at times. I have full confidence McVay will have that side of the ball firing when it matters. McVay is spot on - what you want to see is improvement every day. Hopefully, our backup offensive linemen do just that. We will need that depth during the season.

And we will need to buttress that depth too if at all possible.

Hopefully, the front office has their eye on whatever players shake loose around the league. Between Corbett and Docton, our pro-scouting department seems to have excelled lately at identifying "depth" offensive linemen that other teams don't want or are willing to part with on the cheap, and turning them into strong starters in horns.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Well as long as he is ready for the opener, and it may be a good idea to put Kupp on the self for these preseason games. Just let Kupp go during practice until the regular season starts.
McVay doesn't play starters in preseason games.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Sounds like defense ruled the day on both sides. Fiske left with a blister on his foot. I think he'll have to sit out a few days to let it heal. Those things can be bothersome. It also sounds like he's a disruptive force when he's in there.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sounds like defense ruled the day on both sides. Fiske left with a blister on his foot. I think he'll have to sit out a few days to let it heal. Those things can be bothersome. It also sounds like he's a disruptive force when he's in there.
That's what I take from it as well. Not a surprise there, and the injuries are the only thing that concern me.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well as long as he is ready for the opener, and it may be a good idea to put Kupp on the self for these preseason games. Just let Kupp go during practice until the regular season starts.
Yeah I imagine Kupp has a very monitored workload.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
All I know is Braden Fiske is a stud and feel way better about overpaying (is it gonna be an overpay now?) now
Some of us never thought it was an over-pay.

Jimmy Johnson creates a trade-value-chart more than 30 years ago; and a bunch of lazy TV and radio analysts treat it like the Bible rather than considering specific facts and circumstances on a case-by-case basis.

Should the Rams have surrender both their third round picks to move-up for Fiske?

dang

Legend
Some of us never thought it was an over-pay.

Jimmy Johnson creates a trade-value-chart more than 30 years ago; and a bunch of lazy TV and radio analysts treat it like the Bible rather than considering specific facts and circumstances on a case-by-case basis.

Should the Rams have surrender both their third round picks to move-up for Fiske?
I trust McSnead at this point.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Thanks for the info.
I think we could realistically expect nothing more from the rookie backups on the Oline. Normally, a rookie can depend on the experienced guys to help during an offensive rep and some coaching afterwards. When three out of five are used to practicing against the 2nd team defenses, facing Joey Bosa & Co must have been a shock.
Both Bosa and Mack have that speed to power combo that has always given Boom fits. Power in particular he struggles with. So I agree it's not a surprise when we have both OTs out vs a high talent front with a coach like Harbaugh getting them up for the scrimmage. Rams are a "milestone" type offense for a defense under a new coach to measure themselves against. So I imagine they were up for that shit like the Titans were under Jeff Fisher vs Martz in the preseason so many years ago, where the Rams basically walked into an ambush.

But all these things aside it is an outlier to hear McVay's comments. He almost always spins things positively. To hear him say that you know how pissed off he must be. Which means they expected much more from who they had out there. And I think that when it comes to some of these guys, Boom for example, McVay's opinion of who they actually are on the field is a bit higher than reality.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Marlin, are you suggesting McVay is coming face to face with a new reality?

Kinda like the Bobby Evans Reality?

At least this time it didn't take as long.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Marlin+ ha, that's from my arthritic sausage fingers typing on my ity-bity cell key pad.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

5 takeaways from Rams' joint practice with Chargers​

2164856983.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

August 5, 2024 7:43 am PT

The Los Angeles Rams kicked off “joint practice season” on Sunday with a session against the Los Angeles Chargers. The team was missing three starting offensive linemen, as well as Darious Williams in the secondary and two other starters left practice early, resulting in a lopsided day that favored the Chargers.
Sean McVay sees a ton of value in joint practices, though, and he was pleased with the work the Rams got in – even if it wasn’t as clean or efficient as he hoped. Here’s a recap of their joint practice with the Chargers.

Rams offense struggles badly​

2164856967.jpg

(Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)
It was not a good day for the Rams offense. In total, they turned the ball over six times, according to Chargers team reporter Eric Smith, five of which were by the first-team offense. Matthew Stafford threw three interceptions, two coming off passes that were deflected at the line, and Blake Corum also fumbled one time after a reception, according to Rams reporter Stu Jackson.

Sean McVay said after practice that he has “way higher standards” for the Rams offense than what he saw on the field Sunday, which is indicative of how poorly the unit played against the Chargers.

Another injury added to the list​

2164856970.jpg

The Rams’ list of injuries is rival the length of a CVS receipt. Alaric Jackson, Jonah Jackson and Rob Havenstein were already out for the starting offense Sunday, and during practice, Puka Nacua suffered a knee injury that sidelined him for the rest of the day.
McVay didn’t know what happened, but Adam Schefter reported Monday that Nacua’s injury is “not serious” and he’s considered week-to-week.

Offensive line tested by Chargers’ defenders​

USATSI_20841790.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
With three starting linemen missing, the Rams’ big men up front were tested by a very good Chargers front that features Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack. Warren McClendon Jr. stepped in as the starting right tackle and though McVay didn’t exactly say he struggled, he wants to watch the tape to see how he performed.
The Chargers reportedly got to Stafford pretty frequently, which isn’t surprising considering the Rams were missing three starting linemen.
“I think they’re doing as well as they can,” McVay said of the offensive line. “There’s a lot of learning right now. I think anytime that you go against a front like this, it’s a great challenge. There’s no excuses. We might not have our guys throughout the course of the season. We were able to stay relatively healthy last year and then we saw what it looked like the year before. That’s not going to be an excuse for us. We have to do a good job as coaches. The players have to accelerate their learning curve. And then we have to be able to figure out what does that look like if we need to alter some of the things that maybe we anticipated being our identity. That’s part of my job as a coach and something that I’m excited about the challenge with our other coaches. I think there were some good things and then some things that we absolutely can improve upon.”

Robinson, Parkinson make one-handed grabs​

USATSI_23876710.jpg

Kiyoshi Mio-USA TODAY Sports
Team reporter Stu Jackson highlighted two impressive catches made by the Rams during Sunday’s session: a one-handed grab by Demarcus Robinson and another hauled in by Parkinson.
They both occurred during team drills along the sidelines, so that should elicit some confidence from Stafford when targeting those two pass catchers.
While the offense had its challenges, there were still some good moments. Tight end Colby Parkinson and wide receiver Demarcus Robinson each made an impressive one-handed catch near the sideline during team drills.

New kickoff “feels weird”​

2164858857.jpg

For the first time this year, the Rams practiced the new kickoff setup against another team. It slightly resembles an offensive play and will undoubtedly lead to more kickoff returns, but McVay hasn’t fully grasped the new play yet.
“It just feels weird,” McVay said. “It doesn’t look like anything that has been anything I’ve been familiar with football. I know the intent is right. We’ll try to figure it out. I know everybody that’s been involved in that has their intentions in the right place but it’s a very foreign-looking play. However we feel about it, we have to be able to adjust and make sure that we adapt and it can be something that’s an advantage to us.”

View: https://x.com/chargers/status/1820180124102435059

Ram65

Legend
It's a catch-22 to read about practices. I hate to read about injuries before the season starts.

At least McVay gets to see players on tape and can coach them up before the season starts—no time to panic.