Rams center Allen ready for "full-time gig" as starter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Sports
DAN GREENSPAN (Associated Press),The Associated Press 1 hour 18 minutes ago. THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) --

Los Angeles Rams center Brian Allen started to build a rapport with quarterback Jared Goff last season as a rookie when starter John Sullivan would be held out of practice early in the week to rest and recuperate.

Allen was again snapping the ball to Goff during the first day of organized team activities Monday. In his second season, however, Allen will not have to make way for Sullivan.

''We had a lot of time to play together last year Monday through Thursday, and then John took over on the weekends. But now it's a full-time gig for me,'' Allen said.

How Allen settles into his new position could determine whether the Rams reach the Super Bowl for the second consecutive season. It is the biggest change on an offensive line that has been a marvel of health and consistent play during the previous two seasons under coach Sean McVay. Sullivan started 35 of a possible 36 games during the regular season and playoffs during that span.

The Rams chose not to exercise a team option in March to bring back the 33-year-old Sullivan for a third season and instead put into action a succession plan that started when they selected Allen in the fourth round of the 2018 draft.

Allen got a ''redshirt year'' last season to learn from the veteran lineman and work with Goff, all without the pressure of having to play a critical role for the eventual NFC champions.

Offensive line coach Aaron Kromer also had Allen learning to play guard to give the position group more flexibility. Such practice was particularly helpful in helping Allen learn blocking schemes in McVay's offense.

''It really forces you to know it better and know what everyone is doing,'' Allen said. ''As a center that's kind of your job, but to have that, it just makes you stay on top of it a little bit better.''

Allen believes that experience will give him the best opportunity to succeed in the NFL, and he is immensely grateful to Sullivan for the part he played in that development.

''It's sad not having him here,'' Allen said. ''I'm just kind of out here sometimes thinking what would he do here, what would he say to me here, stuff like that. He was a great mentor for me and I couldn't thank that guy enough.''

Allen wasn't the only young Rams player to benefit from what Sullivan could offer on and off the field. Goff credits Sullivan's vast understanding and recognition of opposing defenses for playing a part in his improvement over the past two seasons.

Without the trustworthy Sullivan there to change protections at the line of scrimmage, Goff and Allen are working to build a more collaborative approach to making calls in hopes of overcoming the lack of experience.

''With Brian, there is some of me and him working together a little bit more and trying to solve problems at the same time at the line where I could lean on John so heavily,'' Goff said. ''I expect Brian to get there, but he's just in his first full year of actually playing.''

The plan is to show Allen as many different defensive alignments as possible over the next few months to make sure he is on the same page with Goff, but McVay understands there are limits to what a coach can do in creating the relationship between a center and quarterback. The early signs are promising, McVay said, pointing to how Goff is talking to Allen.

''I think he and Brian are really getting comfortable with one another, and you can hear it,'' McVay said. ''Their communication after periods, a certain sets of plays, whatever it is, their dialogue is ongoing and that's the most important thing.''

Thanks to the support system put in place last year, Allen is confident he will be ready to start on Sundays later this year.

''Excited for the opportunity and this is what I've been working for my whole life,'' Allen said. ''It's here.''

NOTES: RB Todd Gurley, DE Dante Fowler, CB Aqib Talib and CB Marcus Peters did not attend the workout. McVay said all four players communicated their plans with the Rams and none of the absences were unexpected. Fowler could join the team later this week, McVay said.

---

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rams-center-allen-ready-full-time-gig-starter-014401962--nfl.html

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It'll be interesting to see if McVay gives real world reps in pre season games with Goff and Allen together.
One would assume that the key starters including Goff wouldn't see any pre season snaps again like a year ago...but they might rethink that approach this year with the new guy at Center.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is also a natural progression for Jared Goff. He is going to be more in charge of the offense wrt the protections and that is an intentional change IMO.

dang

Legend
It'll be interesting to see if McVay gives real world reps in pre season games with Goff and Allen together.
One would assume that the key starters including Goff wouldn't see any pre season snaps again like a year ago...but they might rethink that approach this year with the new guy at Center.
I'd like to see one half of the first team offense together in the preseason. Probably game 3 first half.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'd like to see one half of the first team offense together in the preseason. Probably game 3 first half.

I trust the gameplan for preseason, so far, McVay has been right on course for preseason play. Also you won't see Whitworth or Gurley that I can assure you and I'm not sure you will see Goff either, but I don't disagree with you, it's just that McVay sees things differently in preseason.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
This is also a natural progression for Jared Goff. He is going to be more in charge of the offense wrt the protections and that is an intentional change IMO.

This is a very good point and we'll see Goff take another step forward.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Brian Allen, C, Michigan State: 2018 NFL Draft Scouting Report

Where will the lineman with NFL genes land in the 2018 NFL Draft?
Brian Allen, a 2014 four-star recruit, started 37 of 50 career games for Michigan State. He started 16 games at center, 16 at left guard and five at right guard. He’s played for one head coach and two co-offensive coordinators during his college career. He was named second-team all-Big Ten in each of his final three seasons.

Brian is one of three brothers to play on the offensive line for the Spartans. His older brother Jack was a four-year starter from 2012-2015, and younger brother Matt will be entering his redshirt sophomore season in 2018. He possesses adequate size and length on a stocky frame with solid athletic ability. He participated in the East-West Shrine Game.

Measurables

Height: 6’1” 1/8

Weight: 300 lbs.

Arms: 31-5/8”

Hand: 8-6/8”

Games Watched

2017: Iowa, Michigan, Penn State, Washington State

Michigan State Spartans Football

SPARTAN AVENUE
Michigan State football makes top 6 of 3-star WR Ricky White

Strengths

As a pass blocker, Brian Allen possesses good instincts as he is aware of where his quarterback is at all times and displays solid patience waiting for the defender to attack as a result of good mental processing skills. He demonstrates a solid initial punch before placing his hands under the defender’s pads. Once engaged, he plays loose while staying on his toes to maintain leverage. He utilizes good functional strength to hold his ground and prevent pass rushers from collapsing the pocket.

In the run game, Allen displays good body position as he keeps his arms and knees bent at impact. He uses a strong lower body to fuel blocks and drive defenders off the line of scrimmage. Solid posture throughout the block allows him to maintain leverage.

Allen does some of his best work on the move. As seen in the play below against Michigan, he pulls from his center position and is tasked with blocking the defensive end to the right of the formation. Allen does a very good job of finding the defender on the move and gets under the defender’s pads, taking him for a ride downfield until the running back is able to burst through the hole for a big gain.

Allen displays good play speed as he climbs to the second level of the defense when targeting linebackers. He’s a physically tough lineman who will aggressively finish off a defender whenever possible, whether it’s before or through the whistle. This mean streak and very good competitive toughness comes from his days as a high school wrestler. Allen won a gold, silver and two bronze medals at the state finals in Illinois.

The following play against Penn State shows how this experience translates over to the football field. On this play, Allen is responsible for blocking defensive tackle Parker Cothren, a teammate of his at the East-West Shrine Game. Allen gets under Cothren’s shoulder pad and turns him away from the play before throwing him to the ground like a rag doll. Realizing the play isn’t over, Allen takes off downfield and launches himself into a linebacker, delivering a devastating shoulder tackle.

Weaknesses

Brian Allen is slow off the snap as he lacks the explosiveness to set up quickly. He’ll drop his head at impact, causing him to lose sight of defenders. That’s exactly what happens on this play from the Holiday Bowl against Washington State. Allen and the right guard double the nose tackle on the play, with Allen’s head dropping as impact is made. With his head down, Allen completely misses the middle linebacker blitzing through the A gap. With a free rusher bearing down on him, the quarterback has to throw the ball early and is unable to avoid being hit.

As is the case in the passing game, Allen is also slow to come off the ball in the run game. This comes into play in short-yardage situations as defenses load the box and when Allen is matched up with some of the more athletic defensive tackles in the Big Ten. Both instances occurred on this play as Iowa has eight players along the line of scrimmage and all 11 defenders within four yards. Nathan Bazata (#99) is lined up across from Allen and gets a solid jump off the snap. Bazata stays low and is able to get his shoulder into Allen’s chest. He drives the center back, closing the running lane and forcing a turnover of downs.

Along with a slow get off, Allen’s short arms and adequate hand speed allows defenders to initiate contact and gain control. He initially displays marginal hand placement, landing his first strike outside the defender’s chest before moving his hands inside. He struggles to fight through traffic when pulling or climbing to the second level and doesn’t possess the speed or agility to recover in time to stay in front of the play.

Overall

Overall, Brian Allen is a backup center at the next level who wins with competitive toughness and play strength. He’s not someone who is quick enough off the snap to protect the quarterback against athletic interior rushers. Based on his skill set, Allen is best suited for a zone blocking scheme where he can move around and utilize angles to setup his blocks.

Despite playing all three interior offensive line positions at Michigan State, Allen’s size and short arms will keep him at center. The NFL typically shies away from linemen his size, so it will be an uphill climb for Allen to be selected in the 2018 NFL Draft.

https://nflmocks.com/2018/02/01/brian-allen-c-michigan-state-2018-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
We are about to see Aaron Kromer vs. Scouts as most had Allen not rated high as a center, however, the Rams drafted him in the 4th round. I'm anxious to see how this works out because I like centers bigger like Mike Pouncey of the Chargers, not posting you can't be on the stout side to be a center, but I liked Sully because of his size, but I'm also anxious to see, who the backup is for OTA's and training camp.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams are putting their season on the line going with Allen. If Allen struggles, so will the Rams offense. Blythe isn't the answer either. We saw what happened against bigger, faster DL late in the season and playoffs vs Blythe. He's adequate, at best. Kromer must think Allen is better, but is he? There are still a couple of vets FA's out there. They could get Groy or Weisnewski, but haven't. Maybe they want to see how Allen does in TC. If he's the projected starter at C, will he be kept out of pre-season games like the rest? A lot riding on Allen. Rams OL already taking a hit with Saffold, the rams best O-lineman last season, leaving. Anyone thinking Noteboom will play as good as Saffold is kidding themselves. Saffold also made Whitworth look better than he is.

I know, gloom and doom post.:palm:

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We are about to see Aaron Kromer vs. Scouts as most had Allen not rated high as a center, however, the Rams drafted him in the 4th round.

We have already seen a bit of Allen in games. And the fact he handled primary snaps in practice every week through the season on Monday through Thursday vs a DL with Donald & Suh tells me Kromer has a good feel for what he has.

Allen is going to do a great job IMO. I remain more concerned with RG.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I would guess that the back up plan has to be to slide Blythe over.

Blythe has already proved that he can play in the NFL at a fairly high level.

He has experience.
He knows the snap count.

I get why they are giving Allen the first shot as that would allow them to potentially keep three spots on the line intact but it wouldn't surprise me if the line ends up looking like this;

Whitworth
Noteboom
Blythe
Training camp battle winner
Havenstein

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.therams.com/news/as-bri...vJcMnTSKSVQ9CkqBxOQiIDSSg3VvgRNTwtvzCnZdKcd4E

In the business that is professional football, a starting spot is hardly set in stone — especially for young players like 23-year-old center Brian Allen. But on Monday, the former Michigan State Spartan trotted off the practice field following his first day of OTAs slated as the man in middle of the offensive line headed into 2019.

p09b7ly327gcfihmxe7d.jpg

“With a year under my belt with some really good teammates to go against and to have a couple of experiences in the game, I know what’s coming now,” Allen told media members after going against a defense for the first time this offseason.

Allen saw action in his first professional season mostly in practice, taking weekday reps with quarterback Jared Goff, while the seasoned veteran, former Rams center John Sullivan, took the reins on Sundays.

But general manager Les Snead called Allen in the fourth round of the 2018 NFL Draft with some long-term planning in mind. At that time Sullivan was headed for year nine as a pro, and Allen was plenty experienced while on campus in Lansing, Mich. — starting 17 games at center, 15 games at left guard, and five games at right guard. A variety of action in college and a “redshirt” season behind Sullivan, where he trained at multiple spots on the line, has led Allen to his NFL opportunity.

“Yeah, that was the same thing that I did in college, running a pro-style offense, and I had pretty good grip of the scheme and stuff,” Allen said, in review of year one. “Just having an opportunity here is the same thing. It just forced you to know it better and know what everybody is doing and as the center that’s kind of your job.”

“Obviously Brian [is] being naturally thrusted into a role where you have to communicate and I think he’s done a really good job,” head coach Sean McVay said on Monday. “Because there’s so much that goes on specific to the cadance up front, he and Jared’s rapport, and I think they are taking good steps one day at a time.”

McVay isn’t the only one ready to see the young, cross-trained center step into the spotlight. When the club didn’t pick up the veteran center’s option, Allen received a one-of-a-kind phone call from the signal-caller himself.

“Just telling me about the situation and to get ready, get excited to keep working together,” Allen said, recalling his phone conversation with Goff — who was asked about the transition from taking snaps from a veteran to first-time starter after Day 1 of OTAs.

“Basically I could just lean on John so heavily and expect Brian to get there, but it’s just his first full year of actually playing,” Goff said. “It’s been good, it’s been helpful to my development. It’s been good.”

“I’m excited for the opportunity,” Allen added before heading into the locker room. “And this is what I’ve been working for my whole life — it’s here.”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm excited as hell for the Allen at Center era to begin. I like the kid and understand why they drafted him last year. The coaches and his fellow linemen all speak highly of him. They have a couple backup plans in place as any smart roster manager will do led by Blythe who's been a starting Center in the NFL. I don't get the notion that we're rolling the dice. This is a player the guys who built this team liked and they've coached him up for a year. He'll get another off season of coaching before the first snap. Not a fan of this idea we should find another center, wasting draft picks just doesn't do it for me.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would guess that the back up plan has to be to slide Blythe over.

Blythe has already proved that he can play in the NFL at a fairly high level.

He has experience.
He knows the snap count.

I get why they are giving Allen the first shot as that would allow them to potentially keep three spots on the line intact but it wouldn't surprise me if the line ends up looking like this;

Whitworth
Noteboom
Blythe
Training camp battle winner
Havenstein

So wait - a guy the Rams trained for a season and who they decided is who they want isn't good enough because he has little game experience, but RG should be either a rookie or maybe a 2nd year guy who had trouble staying on multiple rosters?

Really?

Barring injury Allen should do fine. In the rare occasions he played he did well enough. Pro Football Focus had him as above average, though small sample size. But even with the small sample, that's a larger sample than the other realistic options.

Incidentally, while I wouldn't necessarily mind somebody like Groy as depth, PFF had him as below average.

Allen has had a season working with the coaches - and apparently they feel he is the best option.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
So wait - a guy the Rams trained for a season and who they decided is who they want isn't good enough because he has little game experience, but RG should be either a rookie or maybe a 2nd year guy who had trouble staying on multiple rosters?

Really?

Barring injury Allen should do fine. In the rare occasions he played he did well enough. Pro Football Focus had him as above average, though small sample size. But even with the small sample, that's a larger sample than the other realistic options.

Incidentally, while I wouldn't necessarily mind somebody like Groy as depth, PFF had him as below average.

Allen has had a season working with the coaches - and apparently they feel he is the best option.
Dude!
You are going to harsh me for giving my opinion on their back-up plan?

That's rough treatment.o_O
We'll see how it turns out my Rams brother. :cool:

Personally, I would like to see every one of our new players on the offensive line lined up between two veterans if possible rather than two first year starters lined up next to each other.
Also, the idea of having two 300 pounders next to each other on the line sounds like an entry point to Sack City.

I'm actually hoping Demby wins that Right Guard spot because he's 321 lbs.

Last edited:

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I too prefer more beef in the interior, thus a cleaner pocket for Goff to step up and drop a dime.

Dark Horse: Evans

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I too prefer more beef in the interior, thus a cleaner pocket for Goff to step up and drop a dime.

Dark Horse: Evans

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Two guys who have never started before, lined up next to each other on the OL is a reciepe for disaster. Goff needs to be ready to get the ball out quickly.