Rams Building a Reputation as a Financial Meritocracy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Why do Ram fans hate Goff? He played as a starter for 4.5 seasons. His rookie season was under Fisher/Fassel and yeah he went 0-7 as a rookie. But in the 4 seasons, he played for McVay he never had a losing season. 2018 showed how good he could be with a decent OL. Goff went 2017 11-5, 2018 13-3 with a good OL. Then the OL was dismantled but he still went 9-7 missing the playoffs not due to his play but a missed FB by Zuerline. Then as the OL got better in 2020 he went 10-6.

Sorry guys but that is what Holmes was looking at. Holmes scouted Goff he knows that put a good OL in front of him and decent WRs and he can win games. The Lions should have finished at least 6-11 but the defense blew it in at least 3 games. Holmes is rebuilding the OL and with Swift at RB and St Brown, Reynolds, Williams and Hockenson he will have receivers.

With his first 3 picks, he took edge Hutchinson, WR Jameson Williams (6'2" with 4.2-4.3 speed) and edge Josh Paschal (a Michael Brocker type of DE). His 4th pick was a talented but raw FS. From the looks of it, Holmes knows what he's doing. That is why I expect at least 7-8 wins for the Lions this year. The Lions got one of the better second tier QBs out there in Goff as his record shows you can win with that kind of QB.

Tano

Legend
what was so horrendous about goff's contract? he was getting paid $26m per year for 4 years starting from the 2021 season. peanuts compared to the amount qbs are getting paid now.

the lions helped themselves to a bevy of picks and rewarded stafford for giving them his best for over a decade.

i hate the narrative that the rams gave them an extra 1st to take that seemingly small contract.

Imagine being a Cards fan and seeing the likelihood of them paying 8 Game Murray - $46M a year.

I classify Murray as a second tier QB because of his limitations.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This Rams organization has come a long way from the financially poor ownership of Dale “Chip” Rosenbloom and his daughter Lucia Rodriguez.
On May 31, 2009, majority owners Rosenbloom and Rodriguez officially offered their majority share of the Rams for sale. On the final day to do so, then-minority owner Stan Kroenke invoked his right of first refusal to buy the 60% of the team that he did not already own. The original intended buyer, Shahid Khan, would later acquire the Jaguars after the 2011 season.
Thank God GIF by Tony Awards

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Great read.

Here’s a big part… I don’t think every team can do this;

They have owner Stan Kroenke in part to thank, too. He’s willing to pay these players, with much of that money coming up front in the form of signing bonuses. Those are prorated throughout the contract, but they’re paid to the player right away, and the owner of the team must have the funds to make that happen.
So far it is the perfect triangle of coaching, front office, scouting and money.

Wait a minute, my triangle has four points.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Imagine being a Cards fan and seeing the likelihood of them paying 8 Game Murray - $46M a year.

I classify Murray as a second tier QB because of his limitations.
He's a second tier quarterback until he proves that he is not.

IE Rams

Pro Bowler

Where Rams rank in spending at each position compared to rest of NFL​

Damn. 25th overall in the NFL on offense, and 9th on D. I knew we were weren't throwing dollars around like idiots, but I thought we would be much higher up in some more of the offensive positions. Impressive.

IE Rams

Pro Bowler

Where Rams rank in spending at each position compared to rest of NFL​

Here’s more info from the link on that page. You can isolate any team or position, adjust high to low and vice versa, go back and forward in years. Really cool resource.

oldnotdead

Legend
I rank Murray no better than Baker Mayfield. Neither can carry a team. Goff showed he can in 2019 but he needs help which is why I say he's a top tier 2 OB like Dak. You can win with QBs like Goff and Dak. Murray isn't worth $46M / yr. What has he proved? He fades when he's needed most.

At least Lamar Jackson is beginning to show he can play from the pocket, i.e. read defenses. Kyler and Baker haven't really shown they can. It's why Cleveland decided to cut their losses. Only Cleveland went from bad to worse.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Why do Ram fans hate Goff? He played as a starter for 4.5 seasons. His rookie season was under Fisher/Fassel and yeah he went 0-7 as a rookie. But in the 4 seasons, he played for McVay he never had a losing season. 2018 showed how good he could be with a decent OL. Goff went 2017 11-5, 2018 13-3 with a good OL. Then the OL was dismantled but he still went 9-7 missing the playoffs not due to his play but a missed FB by Zuerline. Then as the OL got better in 2020 he went 10-6.

Sorry guys but that is what Holmes was looking at. Holmes scouted Goff he knows that put a good OL in front of him and decent WRs and he can win games. The Lions should have finished at least 6-11 but the defense blew it in at least 3 games. Holmes is rebuilding the OL and with Swift at RB and St Brown, Reynolds, Williams and Hockenson he will have receivers.

With his first 3 picks, he took edge Hutchinson, WR Jameson Williams (6'2" with 4.2-4.3 speed) and edge Josh Paschal (a Michael Brocker type of DE). His 4th pick was a talented but raw FS. From the looks of it, Holmes knows what he's doing. That is why I expect at least 7-8 wins for the Lions this year. The Lions got one of the better second tier QBs out there in Goff as his record shows you can win with that kind of QB.

Well I’ll say I’m a Troy Reeder Fan. He would have been back if it wasn’t for Bobby Wagner.
You have talked BAD about Big Rob. Bobby Evans who the Majority (myself ? Included) think he migh get cut was The Rams starting RT as a rookie in 1999. It was WADE who had both Gaines & Strong instead of AD99.Jalen & Rapp both got beat twice.
Anyways, not a Staley Fan from before,but Your San Diego Chargers are going to be tough with SJD69 & Reeder on there squad.

Rams player & coaches(staff) leave all the time.Bobby Trees deserves a lot of credit for what he did for The Rams himself as well. He has won players & team awards because of his locker room presence.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Don’t know where this fits ? Just think I saw The Rams winning The SuperBowl back in 1999/2000

-Trent Green more than Kurt Warner. The Rams were already there because of the players. Tony Horne was a special return guy & Az as well.

Brandon Powell made such a big difference in 2021/22 which gets over looked about Special Teams. Adding a player for success.