Rams Assistant Coach of the Year? Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
170606_ramsota_053.jpg

Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer (Center) with his right hand man son Zak to his side.

As many of us sit on the cusp of Christmas Eve and get ready for a showdown with the Tenseness Titans who were responsible for giving the Rams the opportunity to draft Jared Thomas Goff, I thought it would be fun to discuss who many felt was the top Assistant Coach of the year....And I realize that Wade Phillips has been amazing, not just for his schemes, but the esprit de corps he has help McVay build in the locker room and also because of Wade being on board, the Rams were able to add other quality defensive assistants like CB Coach Aubrey Pleasant for example, who could have stayed in Washington, but wanted to come to Los Angeles for the Opportunity of working under Wade so I don't want to take away from Wade's impact, but IMO, for Assistant Coach of the year, I'm going in another direction.

Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer....All of us knew this was a crucial hire as the Rams had been under only two Offensive Line Coaches since 2006, that being Paul Boudreau & Steve Loney. That's right Scott Linehan hired Bourdreau in his first year, then fired him for Loney the following season. Although the offensive line had issues, new Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo in 2009 shockingly kept Loney on and in 2012 Jeff Fisher hired Paul Boudreau so in essence the Rams have only had two Offensive Line Coaches since 2006 and in most cases they were forgettable years.

Sean McVay reached out to the Miami Dolphins for permission to hire their Offensive Line Coach Chris "snuff" Foerster to be OC/OL Coach much in the fashion that Bill Callahan has with the Redskins, it seems the Dolphins did the Rams a huge favor denying permission so the Rams had to look in another direction. The Buffalo Bills had let their staff go and thankfully on that staff was one of the renown Offensive Line Coaches in the Game Aaron Kromer, now Kromer did come with some beach chair baggage, however, coming to Los Angles seemed like a perfect fit because people don't steal beach chairs in L.A., because you can purchase them year round.

Kromer had built stellar offensive lines at every stop, New Orleans, Chicago & Buffalo and most of us on this board were clamoring for his appointment, some had reservations, however, there was no debating his accomplishments and the wunderkind Sean McVay realized the golden opportunity in hiring one of the games best so Kromer was brought on board with his son Zak as Offensive Quality Control and the Rams kept Assistant OL Coach Andy Dickerson.

Aaron Kromer faced quite a task rebuilding a unit that rated last in the NFL, there was the Greg Robinson conundrum combined with finding a center that could actually hold up at the point of attack. Kromer quickly determine that the Rams should cut bait with Robinson who was traded to the Detroit Lions for a 6th round selection, many felt the Lions committed highway robbery, however, it appears now that Kromer was correct as Robinson is now on IR after he was benched and not active for the Lions, second verse same as the first.

Kromer played musical chairs with Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown, but finally settled on Brown at Guard and Havenstein at RT, where they seemed most comfortable also the signing of LT Andrew Whitworth made Kromer's job much easier as Whitworth has been the best free agent signing in Ram history along with Center John Sullivan and now the unit with Rodger Saffold entrenched at LG this unit was now ready to perform at a top level and Kromer has had his unit ready week in and week out and last week the holes by the offensive line, led by Saffold blocking two players at once to spring Gurley for his 57 yard scamper putting the Los Angeles Rams up 34-0 at halftime sending many of the 12th man brigade home early was epic and is why I believe Aaron Kromer deserves this honor as the best Assistant Coach of the Los Angeles Rams this season!

Discuss amongst yourselves.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
170606_ramsota_053.jpg

Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer (Center) with his right hand man son Zak to his side.

As many of us sit on the cusp of Christmas Eve and get ready for a showdown with the Tenseness Titans who were responsible for giving the Rams the opportunity to draft Jared Thomas Goff, I thought it would be fun to discuss who many felt was the top Assistant Coach of the year....And I realize that Wade Phillips has been amazing, not just for his schemes, but the esprit de corps he has help McVay build in the locker room and also because of Wade being on board, the Rams were able to add other quality defensive assistants like CB Coach Aubrey Pleasant for example, who could have stayed in Washington, but wanted to come to Los Angeles for the Opportunity of working under Wade so I don't want to take away from Wade's impact, but IMO, for Assistant Coach of the year, I'm going in another direction.

Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer....All of us knew this was a crucial hire as the Rams had been under only two Offensive Line Coaches since 2006, that being Paul Boudreau & Steve Loney. That's right Scott Linehan hired Bourdreau in his first year, then fired him for Loney the following season. Although the offensive line had issues, new Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo in 2009 shockingly kept Loney on and in 2012 Jeff Fisher hired Paul Boudreau so in essence the Rams have only had two Offensive Line Coaches since 2006 and in most cases they were forgettable years.

Sean McVay reached out to the Miami Dolphins for permission to hire their Offensive Line Coach Chris "snuff" Foerster to be OC/OL Coach much in the fashion that Bill Callahan has with the Redskins, it seems the Dolphins did the Rams a huge favor denying permission so the Rams had to look in another direction. The Buffalo Bills had let their staff go and thankfully on that staff was one of the renown Offensive Line Coaches in the Game Aaron Kromer, now Kromer did come with some beach chair baggage, however, coming to Los Angles seemed like a perfect fit because people don't steal beach chairs in L.A., because you can purchase them year round.

Kromer had built stellar offensive lines at every stop, New Orleans, Chicago & Buffalo and most of us on this board were clamoring for his appointment, some had reservations, however, there was no debating his accomplishments and the wunderkind Sean McVay realized the golden opportunity in hiring one of the games best so Kromer was brought on board with his son Zak as Offensive Quality Control and the Rams kept Assistant OL Coach Andy Dickerson.

Aaron Kromer faced quite a task rebuilding a unit that rated last in the NFL, there was the Greg Robinson conundrum combined with finding a center that could actually hold up at the point of attack. Kromer quickly determine that the Rams should cut bait with Robinson who was traded to the Detroit Lions for a 6th round selection, many felt the Lions committed highway robbery, however, it appears now that Kromer was correct as Robinson is now on IR after he was benched and not active for the Lions, second verse same as the first.

Kromer played musical chairs with Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown, but finally settled on Brown at Guard and Havenstein at RT, where they seemed most comfortable also the signing of LT Andrew Whitworth made Kromer's job much easier as Whitworth has been the best free agent signing in Ram history along with Center John Sullivan and now the unit with Rodger Saffold entrenched at LG this unit was now ready to perform at a top level and Kromer has had his unit ready week in and week out and last week the holes by the offensive line, led by Saffold blocking two players at once to spring Gurley for his 57 yard scamper putting the Los Angeles Rams up 34-0 at halftime sending many of the 12th man brigade home early was epic and is why I believe Aaron Kromer deserves this honor as the best Assistant Coach of the Los Angeles Rams this season!

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Didn’t The Rams actually it Barnes ? Not sure if he had another year on his contract?? That was a good identification
If so ?

I posted about the Big 5 . They have been solid all year. I also stated early on that The Rams were going to keep extra WR in P.Copper & Thomas. Add Sammy Watkins over that WR from Colorado.Then the WR in Kupp & Reynolds that were part of McVays first draft.

Kromer found Bylthe as the back up Guard & Center. McVay & Kromer have made the most of The veteran Wednesday’s off.

Darrell Williams is a young Tackle Kromer saw upside with & elected not to use the draft on picks to develop the offensive line.

Early on both Kromers were scouting together at the Combine . Kromer was also at the Senior Bowl practice. I’m not sure if he was hired before or during that period. I also don’t know where Zach was , but my guess was they were together.
The hiring of Dickerson was cool. I liked how he was always involved with Rams practices during Fisher era.

—The fact is Kromer cut Donnal & The Rams are only carrying 8 Offensive Lineman to boot !! That in it’s self is extremely impressive.

That’s why The Big 5 has been so solid in this season. Kromer also switching Brown & Hav adds value to being interchangeable.

The Kromers also have to get excredit for teaching Tyler Higbee how to block.Everett & Carrier as well. Those guys take. Lot of reps with the lineman.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
The nice part is there are several worthy candidates. Olsen and leffluer continue with goffs incredible development and kromers line enables the offense to do the things they do. I'd put the left side of the line against anyone in the league. Of course, Fossell is the best at what he does, but for me I have to go with Wade. The defense hadn't started a game together until week 2 and despite transitioning to a 3-4, the process has been relatively smooth. His adjustments are belicheckian without the benefit of video cameras or Ernie adams and the effect he's had on coaches and players has been talked about by both.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
—The fact is Kromer cut Donnal & The Rams are only carrying 8 Offensive Lineman to boot !! That in it’s self is extremely impressive.

Great point and I feel that was a number's game more than talent as Donnal was not 100% yet, however, the Rams do have two Offensive Linemen on the Practice squad in Jake Eldrenkamp & Aaron Neary also last season was a bad year for offensive linemen so I believe that factored in....Presently IMO, Darrel Williams plays a much better OLT than ORT. He was a Left Tackle at USF and at RT does not seem as natural. Cornelius Lucas is also on the roster although he has not been active for any game this season.

I will be interested to see what happens next year as with three 6th round selections, IMO, two of those selections could be offensive linemen. Also @So Ram you bring up another good point as to the durability of the OL and Strength & Conditioning Coach Ted Rath has also been a major upgrade to the staff IMHO, no offense to former S&C Coach Rock Gullickson, but the addition of Rath and his assistants in Edward Grayer & Blair Wagner has also had a major impact on this team.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Of course, Fassel is the best at what he does, but for me I have to go with Wade.

Wade is great and so is Fassel add in if Sam Ficken's kicken is good and maybe Fassel is the man, but I was going outside the scope of the Coordinators and I do include Fassel whose actual Title is "Special Teams Coordinator."

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Wade is great and so is Fassel add in if Sam Ficken's kicken is good and maybe Fassel is the man, but I was going outside the scope of the Coordinators and I do include Fassel whose actual Title is "Special Teams Coordinator."

Then it has to be kromer. Even though whittworth Saffold and Sullivan were probably pretty much the players they would be without him, his scheme and the way he teaches it have been impressive and such an improvement. Also like his evaluations and the things you normally don't see like what was mentioned.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Great post and thread topic, den.

Since you stipulate that Coordinators are excluded, I must agree with your assessment.

I must say that McVay has done a magnificent job in his asst coaching hires to a man. Excellence at every position group, no question.

I would like to insert Skip Peete for honorable mention in this discussion. Honestly, I feared that he was a mistake at the time after Gurley’s disappointing ‘16 season. Clearly, I was wrong. The proof is Gurley’s current MVP type season.

But the bottom line? Aaron Kromer has to be the call as the best pure asst coach hire. In the sense of the best of the best, that is.

One last thing. I first grasped that McVay was a genuine quality HC rather than a glorified OC when I saw what an exceptional staff he hired and so quickly. Two Fisher shortcomings, I have to say.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
I just watched the first half of last week's game and was thinking what a great turnaround this OL has made. True, we now have Whitworth and Sullivan but Saffold has turned into a beast as has Higbee. If you taped the game, go back and watch Higbee's block on the first play from scrimmage, a nice run by Gurley. Higbee has his guy ten yards downfield.

This year the players seem to be getting good fits and staying on their blocks much longer than last year. They're also playing with so much more confidence and that's growing each week. My hat's off to Kromer for this. But when I look at this team, you can't help but admire the staff of coordinators that McVay has put tougher. McVay as OC, Phillips as DC and Bones as STC...I can't think of three guys I'd rather have in those positions. I heard one guy call McVay the premiere play caller in the league the other day. I'd have to agree. He's so unpredictable that he keeps it exciting (although I'd give it to Gurley on 4th and inches - I think he will next time too). It's so damn exciting to be a Rams fan today. To think we could end up 12-4 is unfreakingbelievable.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
One of the coaches that also deserve praise and mention is coach Aubrey Pleasant for the Defensive Backs. I saw him teaching and motivating the DBs during training camp and knew the Rams DBs won’t miss a beat with the next man up in case of injuries.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
All of them have been great.

How about Eric Yarber?
Woods, Kupp, Watkins, the whole unit has been great.

Our WR play doesn't get the credit it deserves for the quality of our offense.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Great point and I feel that was a number's game more than talent as Donnal was not 100% yet, however, the Rams do have two Offensive Linemen on the Practice squad in Jake Eldrenkamp & Aaron Neary also last season was a bad year for offensive linemen so I believe that factored in....Presently IMO, Darrel Williams plays a much better OLT than ORT. He was a Left Tackle at USF and at RT does not seem as natural. Cornelius Lucas is also on the roster although he has not been active for any game this season.

I will be interested to see what happens next year as with three 6th round selections, IMO, two of those selections could be offensive linemen. Also @So Ram you bring up another good point as to the durability of the OL and Strength & Conditioning Coach Ted Rath has also been a major upgrade to the staff IMHO, no offense to former S&C Coach Rock Gullickson, but the addition of Rath and his assistants in Edward Grayer & Blair Wagner has also had a major impact on this team.
Agree with your thought on RT Andrew Donnal. Both our PS OL'ers are similar in play style...more center than OG types...would expect both to remain here in LA when the season concludes due to the UFA'cy of center John Sullivan. Sure hope your man Sully will be friendly to us in his contract demands so he can get a 2 to 3 yr contract that would take him to the end of his career.

Darrell Williams has proven that he is not a solid RT reserve this is a problem. However DW is @ LT. I would also think Kromer will push to sign DW back in 2018 even if Kromer can get a talented drafted OT in the draft. I have no ideal what we have in OT Cornelius Lucas. Easy to say that Kromer has had a positive effect on Saffold. I still think that if needed Saffold would be utilized @ starting LT, with Blythe taking up the starting LG post.

Ref. those three 2018 6th rd selections with four starting OL'ers mandating HD high cost contracts in FA'cy in 2018 & 2019 ....i.e. John Sullivan, Rodger Saffold, Rob Havenstien & Jamon Brown along with the very well seasoned aged Andrew Whitworth ....proper planning by Kromer & the Rams is going to be tricky here. It's going to be real hard to sign all four of these starters & 2 @ most might be real hard retained. Leaving the Rams back at end of 2016 OL conditions again:deadhorse:.

I hope that Kromer & his Ol coaching unit leans from this point on to push to spend the cap cash on veteran OL'ers if possible & use most of the the draft selections for all the Defensive needs & holes. Under normal situations talented Defensive players can contribute faster & pay big dividends quicker than drafted OL'ers who get paid to sit on the bench. It usually takes mega games & seasons to groom a decent starting OL'er in the NFL. We can clearly see what just 2 well seasoned good OL'ers can do for a NFL OL performance. Kromer dumped off the younger not seasoned well..... Greg Robinson, Andrew Donnal, Tim Barnes, Demetrius Rhaney, David Arkin, Pace Murphy & Cody Wichmann.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn’t The Rams actually it Barnes ? Not sure if he had another year on his contract?? That was a good identification
Barnes was in fact cut by the Rams clearing $3 million in cap space, incidentally he was cut exactly a year after signing a 2 year contract. He was then signed to a 1 year deal about 2 months later with the Niners. They then cut him in September then resigned him late in November. FYI

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
One thing has me scratching my head. Since they picked up Corneilius Lucas, he hasn't taken one snap. He's been dressed for several games, and when they pulled the starters in the 4th qtr, he's been the only one they haven't put in for some game experience.
Just wondering whats up with Lucas? Still a project?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kromer without a doubt. And again some team will try to hire him away as an OC but the Rams need to say no. F no.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great post den, as usual.

But how can we not mention Reggie.

Reggie Scott the Athletic Trainer and Ted Rath the Strength & Conditioning coach should have honorable mention.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just wondering whats up with Lucas? Still a project?

Not sure he's ever been active maybe for one game, but I'm not sure because they usually only dress 7 Offensive Linemen which includes Williams & Blythe. Lucas very big at 6-9 330 so it's very possible, he's the LT in waiting.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
also the signing of LT Andrew Whitworth made Kromer's job much easier as Whitworth has been the best free agent signing in Ram history

I was gonna disagree with you until I realized that Faulk was a trade.

Then I thought about Adam Timmerman, but while he was the best until now, the more I think about it, you're right.

It's funny, this team has never had a good history with FAs.

Excellent observation.