Rams Addiction Podcast, Episode 51: Season Recap – Offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Always a fine podcast.

This one I found to be perplexing regarding the OL.

You guys say everything depends on the OL getting fixed yet you only want to draft an OG in the 2nd round.

You guys have a lot more faith in Long and Saffold staying healthy than I do.

Alan

Legend
Great job again guys.

I liked your take on the WR situation. FA and the draft.

Like max, I'm kind of baffled about your response to your own criticisms of our O-line. I get the impression that you're putting all your eggs in Boudreau's basket. Going from terrifying to let's get a guard in the 2nd. That's a head scratcher for me.

Good job though and I'm looking forward to your next two in the series.

bskrilla

Starter
In regards to Cook. I wonder if his fire will come out more if the Ram's are competitive in every single game and making a playoff push. One can hope.

ramsaddiction

Rookie
Name
Anthony
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not against drafting O-Line in the 1st, but I do think there will be some good OG options in the early/mid 2nd round. Regardless of where they draft OL, I don't think you really want to count on starting more than 1 or maybe 2 rookies on the OL (I think you would still consider Barrett Jones a rookie at this point).

I don't think Jake Long will be back until the middle of the season. If Saffold gets offered more than they're willing to pay, I don't think that spending two 1sts on OLine solves the OL problems for 2014. They would at least need to bring in someone on the J'Marcus Webb (Vikings) level to hold down the fort until Jake gets back and/or you can get a couple rookies integrated into the pro game.

Honestly, I'm not categorically against spending the first three picks on offensive line (depending on how FA shakes out); I want an influx of talented youth at the position. I just don't think that rookies are an immediate answer to the problem.

The only thing I absolutely do not want them to do is draft Jake Matthews 2nd overall. I just view that as a complete waste of value. I don't think you can say that he's a pointedly better prospect than Robinson, Ogbuehi, Kouandjio, Lewan, or Erving. Even if they can't get a huge package for a QB, someone will pay you for Clowney (I'm still on board with drafting Clowney by the way).

Alan

Legend
"The only thing I absolutely do not want them to do is draft Jake Matthews 2nd overall. I just view that as a complete waste of value."
Right there with you Anthony.

ramsaddiction

Rookie
Name
Anthony
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Scratch Erving off that list. He's staying at FSU

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I don't believe Matthews is going #2. It's gonna be Clowney or a QB at #2 regardless of who has the pick.

I think after all the evaluations Clowney is gonna emerge as a the best non QB and Snead will take him if he can't trade the pick. But I highly doubt it comes to that.

Some one will either trade up for Clowney, like the Dolphins traded up for Jordan last year, or they will trade up for Manziel.

I think Matthews can last until the 5th or 6th pick, and it's remotely possible that Robinson ends up going ahead of him based on pure athleticism. That type of thing has happened before.

I think the lowest the Rams trade down is with the Vikings so they can take Manziel. In that case, Snead may target Robinson, Watkins, or Dennard.

Alan

Legend
If that's true max I hope the pick is Dennard. Get an OT at #13.