Rams 2019 offensive line ahead of other teams this season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I am pretty sure that the Rams are set on Blythe as the starter at Center this year.
The Rams are tight against the cap and I don't see them just blowing 3 mil.
Athletically, Blythe is nothing to brag about but he's a pretty mistake-free professional with his line reads, snapping the ball and lack of penalties.
And no chance they re-sign Blythe without asking Goff how he feels about taking snaps from Blythe.
I was thinking they should have moved Blythe over at the beginning of last year and sat Allen.
Having a virtual rookie in the middle of your line with Allen was the biggest mistake they made.
Allen may have a tough time even making this team and there's no way they'll go with any inexperienced player at Center again.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
IMO…This article is one of the better ones that has come out from this site in some time. Snead did bring back the same Ol group as he had here in 2019.

Snead/McVay/ Kromer have 9 Rams OL'ers who started Rams gms last season. Very different from what the Ol had starting the 2019 season. Is that not a positive?

Starters
Whitworth 1123 snaps @ LT, coming off getting his most snaps in his long NFL career!
Blythe 1019 snaps RG & OC
Edwards 706 snaps @ RG & LG
Havenstein 638 snaps @ RT
Allen 583 snaps @ center
Corbett 548 snaps @ LG & RT
Evans 481 snaps @ RT
Noteboom 393 snaps @ LG
Demby 43 snaps LG & RG

Non starters
Shelton got 24 snaps played in 16 gms as a reserve @ RT/OG/OC.
Brewer got 22 snaps played in 7 gms as a OT reserve.

Always thought that this starting 2020 OL would look very close to the way it was in gm #17, with very few changes being pondered. Now with the COVID-19 issue involving the NFL season I feel even stronger in this opinion.

Said that way back in week 15,when Whitworth said he was coming back. Add Austin Blythe

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is an interesting point made by the article. I don't feel any better about our OL overall because of them being returning players, however they do at least know the line calls and the situational logic and all that which, compared to some other teams who have big turnover on their line, could be an advantage.

But unfortunately for it to be an advantage our line still needs to play well. So as usual everything is going to come back to that. :woozy:

As of any other postion. There is other reasons as well, such as Todd Gurley will not be a Ram in 2020.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Again this is easy IMO, apparently the powers that be, including one of the best Offensive Line Coaches in the NFL Aaron Kromer, believes they have the parts necessary to be effective. Most of us have their doubts, however, the only thing I got out of this article is because the Offensive Linemen have been in the system and their is no change over, naturally you have cohesion, but as @Merlin so astutely illustrates, they could still suck, which doesn't make cohesion worth a damn.

Well the way he breaks down a offensive line is different than myself. I just know Chris Collinsworth was impressed by the young Rams offensiveline. Speaking highly of them and on the improvement & future with everyone coming back.
Then add Austin Blythe & Big Whit getting there rehab in after the season. Minds right body tight.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We all know that the offensive line is the big question mark going into the season.

Having all the lineman returning healthy at the start will ramp up the competition in the shortened camp. I'm looking for Blythe to improve without the lingering ankle and should injuries. I look for Havenstein to come into camp in better shape to regain his starting RT spot. Also, look for Whitworth to come in without what I labeled as a Super Bowl hangover. He will have a renewed energy with his new commitment to stay a Ram. Overall, I see an improved offensive line that played better than the 31st ranking by PFF in 2019. Edwards and Evans could round out the starting five but, there will be competition. The Rams now have experienced depth. It's still a team sport and McVay and Kromer figured out a few things to help the offensive line late last year.

They added to the middle zone-blocking stretch offense to doing some power gap blocking or whatever you want to call it that helped the run game later last year. The Rams now have different run blocking schemes to go to. Akers and Henderson are much quicker off the snap than Gurley was last year will help to find and get through the holes quicker. McVay will run more getting back around 29-30 attempts per game as he did in 2017 and 2018. That will help the play-action fakes be more effective. We could see more Jet Sweep action to help as well. Certainly, the Goff rollouts help wear down defense in the passing game. He also found Higbee as an offensive weapon. Van Jefferson's ability to get open quickly could give Goff a faster read and release.

Wondering about Gerald Everett in 2020 ? Will he be a Ram.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Kromer gets a lot of praise but facts are he hand selected both Noteboom and Allen, sat them on the bench for their entire rookie season while we went to the SB, and cross-trained them at multiple positions. They were groomed to be replacement starters, then they had the entire next off-season to get ready to start, and they both failed miserably before injury. They weren't even close to average NFL starters... they were far, far below acceptable. Kromer and those two players have to take that accountability 100%. These were our first two picks of the 2018 draft, picks 89 and 111 overall. Who knows if they even become NFL starters now.

Contrast their performance with last year and Edwards and Evans coming in as rookies , a late 3rd rounder and 5th rounder... and both played pretty well for rookies. Both had moments of solid or great play combined with bad play as is expected for a rookie. But both showed much more than Noteboom/Allen did with 1 1/2 years less of NFL coaching and development. Edwards and Evans were not expected to start, they were not being groomed and developed the same way Noteboom and Allen were. They were literally thrown into the fire and both showed they are pretty good players and can be NFL level starters. Does this credit go to Kromer? I think not..I think these two guys just showed they have talent and can compete at a high level.

I agree that our continuity should be better this year with the returning starters having played together. But there are a lot of question marks and I dont think Kromer should automatically get the benefit of the doubt that "we'll be fine and he'll coach them up" as many say on this board. Who has Kromer developed on the offensive line since he's been here the past 3 years? The free agent additions of Whitworth and Sullivan, their solid play, experience, and leadership is what turned this line around after Fisher left. It wasn't the hiring of a "great OL coach" and him developing players. The two players he legitimately tried to develop for starting roles fell flat on their face last season. Kromer was also the run game coordinator last year and we had our worst rushing production in 3 years. This season will tell us as much about his coaching skill as it does Snead's/McVay's OL talent evaluation. If we have another horrible OL season my guess is he gets the boot.

Add John Franklin Myer & 2018 draft was Crap !!!

Agree - with a lot of your points. I saw the Offensive Line take place. I take in certain things. I haven’t been to a game in years & years & years. Went to the Chargers scrimmage & was yelling my ass off. Was on the 50 yard line watching Tru give Mcvay a man hug to start off his coaching career as a Ram.
In 2017 you talk about a offensive line ??? Everyone had doubts. I didn’t & after coming away with watching the players start there development under Mcvay was cool.

Big Whit & Sullivan came off the field from the south/East end of the field. The Rams defense was on the North/west side. They were more like at the back end of The Rams sideline.
- Goff & Saffold had had that locker room thing happen to end the season with Goff saying this was never going to happen again. Saffold down playing Goff’s leadership as a NUMBER 1 overall pick that had lost every game as a Ram starter ??????
The point being Goff came off the field and went directly over to them. Whit was the guy he went spoke to or gave a side 5 to.,but engaged with both players in a positive way.
Saffold missed a block that I was giving him crap for when it happened. He went on a knee by himself to SULK on one knee helmet off.
Rob Hav & Jamon both being rookie roommates at UCI & again in 2017 ? Were stand around mid-field with each other. Making for a seperate dynamic.
The point being Big Whit and Sullivan both solid veterans Roger Saffold never really knew(J. Long) how to become. The offensive line developed & The Big 5 started to go to Dinner the Night before games as a Unit.

Goff got The Offensive Line to go to Andrew Whitworth for Thanksgiving. I think his mentor & Leadership has been huge.
STILL question John Sullivan getting cut ?? Giving Brian Allen & Noteboom both a FREE PASS as starters ?????? Starting Austin Blythe again at RG ????? No preseason games for starters without NFL experience. Going into 2019 with NO BACKUP’s ???

I say the preseason for Brewer,Evans, & Edwards was huge in there development. Then either sink or swim
during mid/season. Add Austin Corbett & The Rams OFFENSIVe Line is a Heck if a lot better in 2020.

BTW - Whitworth still has that fire in the Belly & was moving around good for a player playing hurt,going against the Best DE’s in the NFL.

Kromer ??? I think Dickerson & Zac both help out a lot. The offensive play calling & schemes will be huge.Having a RB by committee will be good, as well as all the wr’s/TE’s all being back.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
They Rams have said publicly that they use a collaborative decision making process so Kromer or any other position coach or coordinator or even Snead does not “hand pick” players in the draft. Kromer has a big part in ranking players on their board, as do the scouts, but the decision is made by a leadership group.

In 2017 Kromer was big on The Rams not drafting a Offensive Lineman.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Merlin has shown last year and again this year with his stills what a disaster Blythe is. This guy lacks field vision and field awareness you need in a starter.

That said, I believe the Rams have starting quality linemen on the roster. What will be important is for that Kromer to actually fit the puzzle together correctly by playing to the strengths of each of the guys on the roster. Case in point, not starting Bythe, it's Allen or Shelton at center. Edwards is a RT, not RG and that was apparent as well last year. So RG should be Evans or Brewer.

LT Whitworth, Noteboom
LG Corbett, Brewer
C Allen, Shelton
RG Evans, Anchrum
RT Havenstein, Edwards

Gameday actives: Noteboom, Brewer, Shelton & Edwards

IMO Anchrum is a better candidate than Blythe for a roster spot as he can play both OG positions with his best fit at RG. Next year Havenstein will be gone so start practicing Edwards to take over. Noteboom IMO is still slated to follow Whitworth. He can serve a two-year apprenticeship behind one of the best LTs in the business who enjoys mentoring young guys. I still say Whitworth should be the o-line coach when he retires. The Rams could convert his 2021 money into a coaching contract.

The talent is there, it simply needs to be used and coached up properly. But sadly I have big reservations about Kromer and Dickenson. They made their reps with the Rams coaching proven vets. They completely failed with the young guys last year and IMO it was their failure as coaches not the lack of talent with the players. If the o-line struggles with a gap scheme which is all about execution as the technique is something all of the linemen have known since high school, it will be a coaching failure. Time for Kromer and Dickenson to prove they know how to coach.

Well of course it is prove it time. I don’t agree with your view points though. Will see ?? I’m not sure without any OTA or group practices as of now. — Last season I liked what I saw.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Regarding Noteboom and Allen it's been reported that Snead personally was involved in the scouting of these two. In 2018 Noteboom started at LT and played very well. Then god knows why, but Kromer stuck him in at LG a position he's never played in his entire football career and expected him to start in the NFL? Sorry but that's stupid.

Allen is always denigrated on this board while Blythe is elevated. But the truth is, in reality, Allen outplayed the revered Sullivan who actually played only a bit above average here in LA and Blythe who has been proven on this very board to be a scrub. No IMO if Allen is 100% healthy he starts at center and will continue to improve.

Allen reminds me of Nick Hardwick whom I watched his entire career in the NFL. Nick was a decent pass protector, not the best to be sure, but good enough. He excelled in his run blocking in their power gap scheme. He often made multiple blocks in the secondary opening the way for Tomlinson. He also excelled in his blocking calls at the LOS. But that skill only comes with experience. Allen was average in that regard but again it only comes with experience. I've seen enough to be encouraged that he can develop into a fine center.

That has yet to be seen ?? My fear is Austin Blythe becomes the Starting RG again. I like him at Center from 2017. At guard I believe he is undersized. I also think has done a good job with leadership & playcalling. That goes back from learn under John Sullivan.
Sullivan as you say, just above average. Then you add the leadership & playcalling. Still upset about that FAKE holding call. Talk about Belacheat?? All that holding of WR’s in 2002 ??
I don’t like your evaluation of Edwards & I can’t see Evans starting Edwards at RG!!! ARE you FREAKIN Kiddin ??
Big Rob came into training Camp Fat Last Season & Paid 4 (ram fans) it .
He is going to be okay in 2020.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Allen is a polarizing player, huh?

We’ve got one poster loving him as our starting C and another poster doubting that he even makes the 53.

WTH?

I’m in a wait-and-see mode on Allen. But he damned sure still has to win me over. I’m thinking that a healthy Blythe is 90% to start at C for us this year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Eventually Snead will have to start picking a few Olinemen with some early picks. Supposedly they loved Ruiz. He went in round 1. That’s usually what it takes to land a very good ready to play Olineman. It’s difficult to form a good to great Oline without at least two studs on the unit.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Regarding Noteboom and Allen it's been reported that Snead personally was involved in the scouting of these two. In 2018 Noteboom started at LT and played very well. Then god knows why, but Kromer stuck him in at LG a position he's never played in his entire football career and expected him to start in the NFL? Sorry but that's stupid.

Allen is always denigrated on this board while Blythe is elevated. But the truth is, in reality, Allen outplayed the revered Sullivan who actually played only a bit above average here in LA and Blythe who has been proven on this very board to be a scrub. No IMO if Allen is 100% healthy he starts at center and will continue to improve.

Allen reminds me of Nick Hardwick whom I watched his entire career in the NFL. Nick was a decent pass protector, not the best to be sure, but good enough. He excelled in his run blocking in their power gap scheme. He often made multiple blocks in the secondary opening the way for Tomlinson. He also excelled in his blocking calls at the LOS. But that skill only comes with experience. Allen was average in that regard but again it only comes with experience. I've seen enough to be encouraged that he can develop into a fine center.

If you think Allen is good then I need some of what your drinking

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Whit // Corbett // Blythe // Edwards // Hav

That's pretty much how I see it as our best case scenario. Blue being a plus starter, green is average, grey is JAG.

So the competition I'd like to see is at LG and C where maybe that helps whoever wins those jobs to be a little better, in other words maybe that competition can elevate Corbett to green (he was close to that last season IMO but his run blocking prevents me from going there). Or maybe we hit the lottery on a depth guy like maybe Anchrum.

At Center we're basically fucked IMO. Blythe isn't gonna get better but with good guards next to him and if he makes great line calls we'll be ok. As to the competition I don't think Allen's pass pro will allow him to win the job but never know.

We definitely need a shot in the arm at those two positions. And that's not considering the potential for Hav to not return to form which would suck ass. If that happens it's Evans replacing him and I expect he'll be green/average at best because he's gonna need some dev time.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

That's pretty much how I see it as our best case scenario. Blue being a plus starter, green is average, grey is JAG.

So the competition I'd like to see is at LG and C where maybe that helps whoever wins those jobs to be a little better, in other words maybe that competition can elevate Corbett to green (he was close to that last season IMO but his run blocking prevents me from going there). Or maybe we hit the lottery on a depth guy like maybe Anchrum.

At Center we're basically fucked IMO. Blythe isn't gonna get better but with good guards next to him and if he makes great line calls we'll be ok. As to the competition I don't think Allen's pass pro will allow him to win the job but never know.

We definitely need a shot in the arm at those two positions. And that's not considering the potential for Hav to not return to form which would suck ass. If that happens it's Evans replacing him and I expect he'll be green/average at best because he's gonna need some dev time.

Evans needs to start IMO, I think he would be an upgrade @ LG over Corbett. Having Evans and his plus feet could be a way to help Whit imho.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I can't say this enough: I think you put Corbett at center where his run-blocking woes are mitigated. I think he's intelligent enough to figure out the line calls. If not, I agree: we're fucked. I don't trust either Blythe or Allen.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Evans needs to start IMO, I think he would be an upgrade @ LG over Corbett. Having Evans and his plus feet could be a way to help Whit imho.
It's sure a nice problem to have.

Guys with the experience of a Evans or an Allen.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
SEE!?!See how polarizing he is!!! :zany:
One big question on Brian Allen......IF he does not start this season ( which means Blythe/ Trewyn/ Cabral/ Shelton/ Kolone ) wins the starting center post) can he win a relief OL position playing only one OL post?

Allen did play more OG than OC in college & was very good at it. However, I have never seen him play anything other than center. Usually most all interior OL'ers who make the roster typically play more than one post.

Allen made the 2018 roster as a relief when Sullivan was the starter but the very versatile Blythe was also on the roster as a relief OL'ers until dinky Blythe beat the massive 6-4/330 plus pound Jamon Brown out of his former starting RG post when he returned from SUP.

Can the under 6-1 305 lbs very short armed interior OL Allen be an effective reserve OL'er for this Ram team?:unsure:

Seems to me that if the newly resigned ($4 million) last half 2019 starting center Austin Blythe (with all his known deficiencies) proves he is a better Kromer starter...... than the now entering 3rd season Brian Allen would not the 6-4/300 lbs Coleman Shelton or a 6-5/310 lbs Cohl Cabral offer Kromer a better versatile reserve game day interior OL'er?

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bobby Evans was here for all the 2019 OTA's/ Training Camp & Preseason plus the first 6 Rams regular season games. When Noteboom went down it was Edwards not Evans who Kromer went with @ LG. When Kromer needed a new LG due to Edwards being flipped to RG Evans was starring Kromer in his face......Kromer spurned Evans as a possible LG starting prospect.

The above fact on Evans lack of LG abilities caused & forced the Rams to go on a hunt for with their highly valuable rare 2020 Ram draft picks (NFL legal tender) to find a starting LG. That fact rings a bell with me PressureD41. I do have a high opinion of Bobby Evans being an upgrade & that Evans needs to start but it's not over Corbett I see Evans as a big overall upgrade over RT Rob Havenstein.

Corbett can be a fully effective starting LG in the NFL I fully expect his run blocking effectiveness to greatly improve in 2020.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Eventually Snead will have to start picking a few Olinemen with some early picks. Supposedly they loved Ruiz. He went in round 1. That’s usually what it takes to land a very good ready to play Olineman. It’s difficult to form a good to great Oline without at least two studs on the unit.
Snead has yet to demonstrate any ability to effectively draft a OL'er with his first round selection. Snead has a deplorable track record in drafting OL'ers period.

I'm thinking Snead might be better going a different route using his salary cap $$$ for proven veteran OL'ers (like 2014 LG Rodger Saffold/ 2017 LT Andrew Whitworth & 2017 OC John Sullivan) & using his high draft selections on usual quick return dividend positions like CB/ ER/ OLB/ DL'ers. Snead spent most all his 2020 salary on newly signed NT Robinson, DL Brockers, OLB'er Leonard Floyd & CB Troy Hill. Plus Snead paid a near $40 million of his 2020 salary cap funds on just two veteran defensive players.

Point is it takes so much period of time & effort to get any return of effective play from selecting an Ol'er high in the draft three years later, when compared to all other NFL playing positions. Even ready to play OL'ers out of college are extraordinary rare. Prefer to prioritize off seasons to spend salary cap $$$ on OL'ers & use most all your high draft selections on the other positions........better results & better football!

Fact is Rams are still coping & endeavoring the difficult task to get our three remaining 2018 drafted OL'ers (Noteboom/ Allen & Demby) to pay dividends on the playing field. None @ this time are considered to be starters. All 3 are entering their 3rd season with little success thus far during the time of their contracts. If they do finally begin to pay off their contracts are up!

Last edited: