Rams 2012 NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
obamamammy said:
Ramhusker said:
Watching Calvin Johnson tonight, I can't see any plausible scenario that the Rams can come up with to not take Justin Blackmon first! Just can't see it.

i agree it would be madness to pass on blackmon. the best route runner to ever come into the nfl ever. even better then jerry rice.

Uh...no. Just...no. You're overhyping him way too much. He's definetely not a better route runner than Bruce, Holt, or Marvin Harrison when they came into the NFL. He's certainly not better than Rice at any point in his football career, and this is coming from a guy who hates the 49ers and everything they stand for.

I'm serious when I say that guys like Sanu, Floyd, McNutt, Jones, or even Tommy Streeter (Miami) should also be options. There's plenty of good wide receivers aside from Blackmon. I'm not at all saying that we shouldn't draft him, but it wouldn't be "madness to pass on blackmon". Not when we need so much more than just a number one wide receiver.

We could take Kalil, Claiborne, Blackmon, or trade down for more picks. There's plenty of options to choose from, and if the picks pan out, we could end up winners no matter who we take.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I know leveler heads will say take Kalil and that might be the smartest pick because it does make the whole OL better but I guess I'm just snake bit by all of the failed or ho hum OL/DL picks the Rams have used over the last decade to no avail. I feel it's time to pull the trigger on that playmaker and let the chips fall as they may. My favorite scenario is a trade with Cleveland or Washington where I see the Rams still getting a great #1 pick (maybe still Blackmon) and possibly snagging another stud with a second 1st or 2nd round pick while stockpiling a couple more picks for later in the draft or future years.

SparkySTL

UDFA
If the rams were to trade with cleveland for the #4 and #22 and possibly more, would it be unrealistic to attempt a trade with the Vikings swapping the #3 for our newly aquired #22 and our 2nd rounder, giving us both the #3 and #4 picks, to pick up both Kalil and Blackmon???? Or maybe another combo of players

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
SparkySTL said:
If the rams were to trade with cleveland for the #4 and #22 and possibly more, would it be unrealistic to attempt a trade with the Vikings swapping the #3 for our newly aquired #22 and our 2nd rounder, giving us both the #3 and #4 picks, to pick up both Kalil and Blackmon???? Or maybe another combo of players
Nothing is out of the realm of possibility at this point. But Minnesota is going to need more than that to drop 20 spots, I think. Unless we get Cleveland's 2nd rounder as well, and their 2nd next year. I dunno. The possibilities are endless at this point. Hope we get a GM that's a wheeler and dealer.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
SparkySTL said:
Nothing is out of the realm of possibility at this point. But Minnesota is going to need more than that to drop 20 spots, I think. Unless we get Cleveland's 2nd rounder as well, and their 2nd next year. I dunno. The possibilities are endless at this point. Hope we get a GM that's a wheeler and dealer.

That would be pretty damn epic though... Draft Kalil AND Blackmon.

Just give us the NFC west.

steferfootball

Starter
bluecoconuts said:
X said:
SparkySTL said:

That would be pretty damn epic though... Draft Kalil AND Blackmon.
:cool: I could get used to that.

coconuts said:
Just give us the NFC west.
Easy there buddy. :p

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Seeing Trent Richardson tonight makes me want a playmaker even more.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Some interesting sites at times. Few of these I have found more accurate than the Hair and McShay and the other high profile sites.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.optimumscouting.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.optimumscouting.com/</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/2011-nfl-draft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/2011-nfl-draft</a>

Yeah it's the bleacher report crap but this guy seems to have a decent eye.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sidelinescouting.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sidelinescouting.com/</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mockingthedraft.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mockingthedraft.com/</a>

Will post more later on if anyone wants now that there's a place for it.

IMO
The Browns won't trade up to get RGIII, they want to use both 1st rounders to fill some of their many needs. Lot of depth. Wash. might but i think they or the Browns will go after Flynn. The Rams can get starters if done right out of the 1st 4 rounds.

Maybe 8 or 9 elite players in this draft. Noticable drop off after that. Not that the rest are bad just not special.

Lots of WR and CB depth. Light on TE's except some good blocking ones in mid rounds.

13 draft will be much deeper in the 1st.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Yamahopper said:
Some interesting sites at times. Few of these I have found more accurate than the Hair and McShay and the other high profile sites.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.optimumscouting.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.optimumscouting.com/</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/2011-nfl-draft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/2011-nfl-draft</a>

Yeah it's the bleacher report crap but this guy seems to have a decent eye.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sidelinescouting.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sidelinescouting.com/</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mockingthedraft.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mockingthedraft.com/</a>

Will post more later on if anyone wants now that there's a place for it.

IMO
The Browns won't trade up to get RGIII, they want to use both 1st rounders to fill some of their many needs. Lot of depth. Wash. might but i think they or the Browns will go after Flynn. The Rams can get starters if done right out of the 1st 4 rounds.

Maybe 8 or 9 elite players in this draft. Noticable drop off after that. Not that the rest are bad just not special.

Lots of WR and CB depth. Light on TE's except some good blocking ones in mid rounds.

13 draft will be much deeper in the 1st.

from optimum scouting

Receiving Technique
Most of Blackmon's production comes from crossing patterns such as drags, slants, ins, digs, and post patterns. Lacks precision on slant, post, dig patterns, consistently rounding off his breaks. Has homerun threat capabiltiy on deep fade route and deep post. At his best on quick hitter screens, jailbreak screens, and drag routes where he can create yardage after the catch. Dominant red-zone target that has perfected the back shoulder fade route; works hard to stack the corner and has natural sense of where the back of the endzone is.

Doesn't show polish with his hands against press, using an over top swim move while powering thru the contact. Has the foot speed off the line to set up his man, and keep himself clean in his release. Struggles to separate with his route running when the corner hand fights mid-route, being physical throughout route stem. Doesn't release with consistent explosion, will run less than full speed when given a clearing route. Underrated 1-on-1 blocker in space, uses length to dominate the point of attack, while also having the hip burst to wall off defenders from the ball.

Going back to the 3 step drop (if we hire fisher) makes him even more perfect. GET IT DONE BIL-...uhh...FISHY!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Couple random thoughts from the BCS title game.

CB Morris Claiborne - no thanks, looked like a quitter to me, made almost NO plays throughout the game. A player of his caliber needs to step up in these type of games. No impact on the return game. Out od position a few passing plays that I saw. On Richardson's TD run, Claiborne was the player with the best chance to make a play, but never even got close to Richardson. Earlier in the game, he had a chance to make a backside tackle, but didn't hustle. IMO, he is not a top 10 player.

CB Dre Kirkpatrick - based on this game only, I would pick him over Claiborne, now i know that you can't do that, but I'm just saying. He was all over the field, in coverage, blitzing, special teams. He showed a lot of speed on the field, at times looked like the fastest player, which is saying a lot in this game.

RB Trent Richardson - looks to have elite quickness and speed. Can bounce and get to the corner in a hiccup and then outrun corners and safeties who have elite speed. I saw him miss one blitz pickup, got a piece of him and he did have pressure that held him to his side, but saw him make other pickups and is a very willing and capable blocker. Very low center of gravity and extremely powerful base. Didn't think that he worked very hard to get open or get his QB's attention, although he can catch the ball. Will be immediate starter and be successful in the NFL.

OG Josh Wilford - The LSU sophomore Guard really flashed then had my attention. Remember this name, he will be a good player in the future.

LB Donta Hightower - high motor, made a lot of spectacular plays, played all over the field.

Any adds? Not a complete scouting, just players that got my attention, good and bad.

superfan24

Starter
DR RAM said:

CB Morris Claiborne - no thanks, looked like a quitter to me, made almost NO plays throughout the game. A player of his caliber needs to step up in these type of games. No impact on the return game. Out od position a few passing plays that I saw. On Richardson's TD run, Claiborne was the player with the best chance to make a play, but never even got close to Richardson. Earlier in the game, he had a chance to make a backside tackle, but didn't hustle. IMO, he is not a top 10 player.

CB Dre Kirkpatrick - based on this game only, I would pick him over Claiborne, now i know that you can't do that, but I'm just saying. He was all over the field, in coverage, blitzing, special teams. He showed a lot of speed on the field, at times looked like the fastest player, which is saying a lot in this game.

RB Trent Richardson - looks to have elite quickness and speed. Can bounce and get to the corner in a hiccup and then outrun corners and safeties who have elite speed. I saw him miss one blitz pickup, got a piece of him and he did have pressure that held him to his side, but saw him make other pickups and is a very willing and capable blocker. Very low center of gravity and extremely powerful base. Didn't think that he worked very hard to get open or get his QB's attention, although he can catch the ball. Will be immediate starter and be successful in the NFL.

OG Josh Wilford - The LSU sophomore Guard really flashed then had my attention. Remember this name, he will be a good player in the future.

LB Donta Hightower - high motor, made a lot of spectacular plays, played all over the field.

Any adds? Not a complete scouting, just players that got my attention, good and bad.

What did you think of Courtney Upshaw?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm confused. Some mock drafts I look at have the Rams picking 1st in the 2nd round? Do the Rams get to pick 1st in the 2nd, 4th, and 6th rounds because of finishing tied with the Colts?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Ramhusker said:
I'm confused. Some mock drafts I look at have the Rams picking 1st in the 2nd round? Do the Rams get to pick 1st in the 2nd, 4th, and 6th rounds because of finishing tied with the Colts?

I think if 2 teams have the same record, the team w/ the easier schedule picks 1st in the 1st round and then they swap every round after.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Angry Ram said:
Ramhusker said:

I think if 2 teams have the same record, the team w/ the easier schedule picks 1st in the 1st round and then they swap every round after.

Right. That's why the Patriots selected Patrick Chung before we selected Laurinaitis in the 2009 draft. They had the Chiefs' second round pick.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
<a class="postlink" href="http://drafttek.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://drafttek.com/</a>

Somebody likes Blackmon too.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:

Have you looked at Reiff yet?

If the trade down happens he could be the pick.

Not Kalil, but would pick him over Martin.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
I was able to re-watch Ok State/Stanford to check out Blackmon and im becoming more and more impressed with him. One word of caution: it was like the Stanford CBs were terrified of him beating them deep. I did not see many many attempts by them to really be physical at the LOS, and he racked up a lot of YAC because of that. Thats the part of his game I love the most, he looks like a RB after he catches the ball. We would be doing a lot of screens and slants to him. Completely agree with the Boldin comparisons. Another thing that caught my eye for his performance in this game was the fact that he was battling an injury during it. He had a thigh injury, didnt practice much, and still had this type of performance. They also showed the cameras on him at the beginning of the 2nd Qtr and he was definitely speaking his mind on the sidelines. I dont know if it was frustration (he hadnt been targeted yet, the offense was struggling), pouting, or leadership.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:

I looked at him briefly and was VERY disappointed with his play in the bowl game. I saw enough to where I didn't want to see him anymore. I would pass on him. My prediction is that he will fall.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:

I'd actually prefer "Moose" Martin if we traded down and had a choice between him and Reiff. Reiff doesn't have the potential that Martin has; in fact, I think Reiff's developed as much as he can. Martin, on the other hand, is still growing into his frame and is already a more dominant and nasty run-blocker than Reiff - or even Kalil - will ever be. Reiff is very much superior at both pass-protection and footwork, but Martin's solid at both, and he improved as the year went on.

Still, I'd only prefer him if we traded down; Kalil's a thousand times better than both of them.