Raheem Morris Discusses Potential Adjustments To Defensive Scheme

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Regarding Brockers: is it possible for him to restructure his contract to take less and a lower cap hit? If not, maybe we cut him and re-sign him to a smaller deal.

I just don’t see him getting much in the open market this year with so many teams over the cap. He’s going to be one of those middle guys that get squeezed big time. So maybe he’ll work with the Rams FO to stay with his LT team. I don’t know contract and cap wise if it is possible so that the Rams get him lower. Versus the benefit of simply cutting him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Regarding Brockers: is it possible for him to restructure his contract to take less and a lower cap hit? If not, maybe we cut him and re-sign him to a smaller deal.

I just don’t see him getting much in the open market this year with so many teams over the cap. He’s going to be one of those middle guys that get squeezed big time. So maybe he’ll work with the Rams FO to stay with his LT team. I don’t know contract and cap wise if it is possible so that the Rams get him lower. Versus the benefit of simply cutting him.
I do not see any reason for any restructure to his contract myself. The only real reason to have Brockers depart is due to his contract. The best for the Rams is to trade Brockers to clear the entire contract off the books. This season alone clears a near $10 million. I posted previously that even trade for a 7th rd selection will help the Rams with this major problem getting within the set 2021 season salary cap. I see Brockers going to a 43 defense team easily but he will not get close to that near $10 mil he has with the Rams.

Michael Brockers Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

PRE-6/1 RELEASE2021 Dead Cap: $4,166,6672021 Cap Savings: $5,666,666PRE-6/1 TRADE2021 Dead Cap: $2,666,6672021 Cap Savings: $7,166,666POST-6/1 RELEASE2021 Dead Cap: $2,833,3332022 Dead Cap: $1,333,3342021 Cap Savings: $7,000,000POST-6/1 TRADE2021 Dead Cap: $1,333,3332022 Dead Cap: $1,333,3342021 Cap Savings: $8,500,00

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Sure a trade of Brockers is the best scenario for the Rams. But find me a team that wants him and against their cap - even for a 7th rounder. It’s all due to the cap issue. He’s worth more. But finding a willing and able trade partner will be very difficult.
My thought is under the scenario we can’t find a trade partner. Rather than cut him; both parties can benefit possibly by a contract change. But I don’t know if that’s even possible numbers and cap wise for the Rams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure a trade of Brockers is the best scenario for the Rams. But find me a team that wants him and against their cap - even for a 7th rounder. It’s all due to the cap issue. He’s worth more. But finding a willing and able trade partner will be very difficult.
My thought is under the scenario we can’t find a trade partner. Rather than cut him; both parties can benefit possibly by a contract change. But I don’t know if that’s even possible numbers and cap wise for the Rams.
I understand your point. But I can name a few who have an abundance of Cap funds to spend. A leader like Brockers to a team like the Jets in rebuilding mode makes plenty of sense.

Jags $82 mil.
Jets $81 mil.
Pats $69 mil.
Washington $49 mil.
Bengals $48 mil.
Colts $42 mil

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Brockers has two years remaining on his current contract, taking him thru to age 32, ... the best way to lower his 2021 CAP hit would probably require an extension, but the Rams would likely only want to keep an aging DT like Brockers at a pretty reduced rate, especially considering the team may already have his replacement ready to take over soon. jmo.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I understand your point. But I can name a few who have an abundance of Cap funds to spend. A leader like Brockers to a team like the Jets in rebuilding mode makes plenty of sense.

Jags $82 mil.
Jets $81 mil.
Pats $69 mil.
Washington $49 mil.
Bengals $48 mil.
Colts $42 mil

Yeah I just looked that up and was gonna say that I could envision the Bengals or Jets making that move to help out their young team. Colts and maybe Pats would be interested. Only thing is will those teams have a bunch of better value available to them with all the vet cuts coming.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, Brockers has been sooo steady over the years. Interesting to see what we do.

David Long... Add him to the list of guys we need to step up, in his case... he should be ready. Not a great sign he‘s struggled to get snaps.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Jags $82 mil.
Jets $81 mil.
Pats $69 mil.
Washington $49 mil.
Bengals $48 mil.
Colts $42 mil
Man, Quinnen Williams is already a stud, imagine the impact a Brockers could make playing side by side with him? Kinda scary... I dont want Brock going anywhere but I get it that it's a business and some moves have to be made.
This one makes too much sense,
for the Jets that is...
Which is why it wont happen.....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brockers contract makes him attractive on the trade market, not unattractive. Base salary of only 6.5 mill for a 30 year old guy who has been super productive, while giving you a full season year in and out. 2022 isnt guaranteed money so he plays great for you, he's locked up for 2022, if not they can extend him or cut him.
He's got to be worth a 4th rounder

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If 2019 3rd rd selection CB David Long ever gets his act together maybe the Rams could keep Burgess running with the safety unit. But Long has been one big flop. I have been reminding the few members who do visit that the Rams contracted corner unit is short on talent & numbers. Terrell Burgess is needed as our Nickle corner to line up with Ramsey/Williams.

I think it's a big mistake believing the current contracted ILB'er unit is real ugly. I see the OLB'er unit as the real problem. Travin Howard is going to be a very good ILB'er for the Rams the next two seasons if he can remain healthy. That's one ILB'ing post that will be might pretty! Howard is a far better talent than Kenny Young. Rams have some young latent talented players waiting in the wings @ ILB'er unit in Christian Rozeboom & Derrick Moncrief.

2020 starting ILB Kenny Young is a sure cap casualty if those 2021 contract numbers are correct where he will save the Rams $2.2 million immediately if released. Taylor Rapp would more likely start for Young last season if not for the TC knee injury. I would expect Rapp to see a good amount of action near the LOS this season too making the ILB unit better-looking.;)
I do not see any reason for any restructure to his contract myself. The only real reason to have Brockers depart is due to his contract. The best for the Rams is to trade Brockers to clear the entire contract off the books. This season alone clears a near $10 million. I posted previously that even trade for a 7th rd selection will help the Rams with this major problem getting within the set 2021 season salary cap. I see Brockers going to a 43 defense team easily but he will not get close to that near $10 mil he has with the Rams.

Michael Brockers Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

PRE-6/1 RELEASE2021 Dead Cap: $4,166,6672021 Cap Savings: $5,666,666PRE-6/1 TRADE2021 Dead Cap: $2,666,6672021 Cap Savings: $7,166,666POST-6/1 RELEASE2021 Dead Cap: $2,833,3332022 Dead Cap: $1,333,3342021 Cap Savings: $7,000,000POST-6/1 TRADE2021 Dead Cap: $1,333,3332022 Dead Cap: $1,333,3342021 Cap Savings: $8,500,00

What I saw from Brockers last season is a team leader who started off excellent,but by the end of the season he slowed down.A. Robinson was the Big FA signed & didn’t play the first half,so The Rams were so lucky to have Brockers.
My point is The Rams let him walk,and he looked slower at the end of the season.I say take whatever value he has left with his one year contract.The Rams have enough depth on the DLine.
Robinson needs to step up & doesn’t have as much value on the open market,but is still a ascending player.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, Burgess is another one that’s sort of there... like Travin Howard...

We‘ve seen some good things... can they build on that? If so... that’s HUGE.

Will the LA Rams start Terrell Burgess next to Jordan Fuller in 2021?

Finding a starting defensive back in an NFL Draft in any given year is a tough task. Finding two starting defensive backs is nearly impossible. But finding two starters for the same secondary is next-to-impossible without a first-round pick. But don’t tell that to the LA Rams general manager Les Snead. You see, he has a way of making the impossible not only possible but likely,

One of the best NFL drafts of any team in landing starting defensive backs occurred in the 2002 NFL Draft by the Philadelphia Eagles when the team drafted Lito Sheppard, Michael Brown, and Sheldon Brown in the same draft. But let’s caveat that by mentioning that the Eagles drafted all three by the 59th selection. In that year, the Eagles draft Sheppard at 26, Lewis and 58, and Brown at 59. The trio would combine to play 429 NFL games. Not a bad haul in one NFL Draft.

And yet, the LA Rams may have outdone that draft. Well, certainly in terms of the potential of striking gold deep in the 2020 NFL Draft, at least. In the 2020 NFL Draft, the LA Rams chose 6-foot-0 198-pound Utah safety Terrell Burgess with the 109th selection. They then doubled down to grab 6-foot-2 204-pound Ohio State University safety Jordan Fuller with the 199th selection.

Both are now very much in the running for starting roles for the top-ranked NFL defense this year. Two starting safeties in 2021 from selections at 109 and 199 in the 202 NFL Draft? That’s almost too good to be true.

The Rams depth chart could boast both 2020 rookies starting at safety

And yet, here we are. I don’t think it is any stretch of the imagination to project 2020 starter Jordan Fuller to reclaim that role in 2021. It’s also looking less likely that the Rams will have the funds necessary to re-sign 2020 veteran safety John Johnson III for 2021. So it comes down to either Terrell Burgess or Taylor Rapp as the other starting safety in 2021. That’s a 50/50 shot right now.

I like Burgess’s chances to win the role.

Burgess was injured in the fourth quarter in the victory against the Chicago Bears, an ankle injury that would shut him down for the rest of the season. Sadly, it was his most impressive game of the season. In one play, he made an incredible open-field tackle on wide receiver/running back Cordarell Patterson at the 10-yard line to keep the Bears pinned deep.

Clearly, he was hurt just as everything ‘clicked’ for him. While that was both disappointing and saddening for the young man for his 2020 rookie season, it sets the stage for a breakout 2021 season.

So why would starting both former rookies Terrell Burgess and Jordan Fuller at the safety position be so special? Both starting from the same NFL draft class gives them both a shared loyalty and bond that is unique to them both. Since both were drafted in 2020, the LA Rams will enjoy three more NFL seasons of their play before either enter NFL Free Agency, cementing the back end of the LA Rams defense for the foreseeable future.

Taylor Rapp, while very dangerous, seemed to fit the role of third safety very well in 2020, and would be asked to repeat that role if Burgess and Fuller get the safety starts this year. Even before the LA Rams jump headfirst into the 2021 NFL Free Agency market, their roster is taking shape.

This article is Crap & personally I go out on a limb and say The Rams 2019 draft will provide better DB depth in 2021 than in 2020.

Nick Scott I believe will be The Rams starting FS.If not will see a lot of playing time.All while being a Top special teams guy.
David Long is still young & whatever happened in 2020 I do not see proceeding in 2021.I think he finds himself as a starting CB.
The Rams have 2 uDFA rookies from Georgia that I think will be interesting to see play in the offseason.Deayon as well Juju.
Taylor Rapp is a tackling machine.He is tough and has speed.He Will get playing time & a top 4 leading tackler at the least if healthy.
What McSnead shows is they can identify DB’s very well.Troy Hill & D. Williams are perfect examples of that,plus coaching them up.
Looking back at The Rams using Tru Johnson as a 2nd time Franchise player shows how far McSnead has come,all as well as putting J.Joyner at FS & having to Franchise him.Getting Comp Picks as well for there efforts.
—What happens with D.Williams & Hill are still to be determined???