Radio Rumor: Houston Hot For Mallett

• Thread starter DeweyCheatem-n-Howe
  • Start date
  • To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Apparently this morning on Mike and Mike a report came out that Houston was planning on trading for Patriots backup quarterback Ryan Mallett and drafting Clowney. No idea how legit this is but if true it would really make things interesting in May.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Makes sense.
Wasn't Mallet with the Patriots when O'Brien was there?

If this happens it will be interesting to see what teams will offer the Rams with the top QBs all there at 2. I hope it wouldn't hurt the value of the pick too much.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would be amazing. Would make the Rams pick so much more valuable...and give us the option of taking Bridgewater.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Okay Jrry. Let me ask you and the rest of the forum would you pick Bridgewater and let him ride the pine for a year? Or take him and try to trade Sam?

I think I would take Bridgewater and let him ride the pine for a year and then let Bradford walk in his contract year if Teddy convinces the team that he is just as good if not better. It would be five more years of contract relief. Otherwise you are locked into signing Bradford for a larger amount.

If I was Snead and Fisher I would be looking very closely at Bridgewater to see if I thought he would be better than Sam. His size would be my main concern but right now I think he looks like he could be a very good NFL Qb.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@MerlinJones , yeah, I'm pretty sure O'Brien was involved in the drafting of Mallett. Not sure if this would strengthen or weaken our trading ability

Last edited:

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
That would be amazing. Would make the Rams pick so much more valuable...and give us the option of taking Bridgewater.
I was thinking this , this morning.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
No way I waste that pick on someone to watch on Sunday's. Besides, IMO, we have no current need for a starting QB. Pick up a developmental player in rounds 3 - 5, wherever the value is right.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
@Merlin, yeah, I'm pretty sure O'Brien was involved in the drafting of Mallett. Not sure if this would strengthen or weaken our trading ability

Of the top teams off the top of my head that would be in great need of the top rated pass rusher maybe two? Atlanta @#6 & Tampa Bay @ #7. However many teams 5 or 6 known teams that are in need of a QB & would get their pick of whom they want. i.e. Jags #3-Browns#4-Raiders#5-Vikings #8-Titans#11 or other latent cloaked teams. So the amount of teams adds to the pressure adds to the strengthening of the Rams situation as Snead uses the many possible trading partners leveraged against each other.

Last weekend in the final top 8 teams had outstanding franchise QB's you do not win unless you have a good QB. Many of those 8 teams do not have a premier pass rusher.

The other thing is Tom Brady is what 37 yrs old & it is not time to be looking at who will be their QB of the future.One would think they have had Mallet for the grooming process for years now. The Texans will not get Mallet cheap. If your dealing with the Pats you will get cheated.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
But what if you were the GM and you were Wowed by what you see in Bridgewater?
I don't watch a lot of college football so I am certainly no expert on Bridgewater, but from the film I have seen I don't see him as having the potential to be a significant upgrade over Bradford. I get the cap savings but, in my mind at least, the team is better served by filling another area of need, not by doubling up at the QB position.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Has anybody thought this would be bad for us?? What if houston makes that trade for mallett dont you think teams would then be calling houston for the first pick instead of the rams for the second pick? maybe houston has there sights set on clowny or just maybe houston has there sights set on a trade down and the only way they can do that is to aquire a QB from somwhere besides the #1 pick. just sayin could be a great thing or a really bad thing.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have not thought of that. So, if the Manziel stuff is a bit of smoke and Cleveland is happy to sit at 4 to get him, knowing he will be there then yeah it could hurt the Rams. Houston could mortgage the Bridgewater pick. Then the Rams would have the Clowney pick to try to trade. Would the baggage that came with Clowney this year be a deterant for anyone to want to give up extra picks for him? Maybe. If the Rams can't get what they want for him then I guess the just make the pick. Do the pick Clowney? I think they would take Jake Matthews if they stay pat. I would be fine with that.

The catch is Jacksonville. They desperately need to get fans in the stands. Manziel would do that, at least at first. Or a Cleveland could worry that another team would jump them for Manziel. So I still think they trade with the Rams. So, that would leave Clowney to the Raiders? Do they trade it? The Rams would have to worry that if their target is Matthews that the Raiders prefer him or trade to a team that does. But if Matthews is off the board the that leaves the Rams with Clowney again.....to trade.

I doubt any scenario would really hurt the Rams chances of doing what they want. They either get the guy they want or make the best trade they can with the chance to trade away the rights to Clowney, Bridgewater, or Manziel. In some cases even two trades in the top 4 picks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
BTW, having followed O'Brien at PSU closely I believe he has total faith in his ability to coach up a QB. I could see him making a trade for Mallett. There is a certain amount of ego there. Plus he is very raw as a head coach. He made a surprising amount of bad game decisions while with PSU. His inexperience really showed....he is also inexperienced with the personnel stuff. So, a bold move would be no surprise.

Plus extra draft picks are always appealing but especially to a new head coach who most likely sees changes he wants to make to tweak the team more in his own vision of what he wants it to be. Plus Houston is not too bad of a team. A few extra high picks could keep them near the top of their game.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Has anybody thought this would be bad for us?? What if houston makes that trade for mallett dont you think teams would then be calling houston for the first pick instead of the rams for the second pick? maybe houston has there sights set on clowny or just maybe houston has there sights set on a trade down and the only way they can do that is to aquire a QB from somwhere besides the #1 pick. just sayin could be a great thing or a really bad thing.

Texans taking a chance here in passing on one of the top three QB's & going with Mallet. Teams fighting for that first overall pick will find it very costly...the Rams second selection not so costly. I am sure Snead is in a much better position overall with the Rams than the Texans are. Anyone think the Pats will not let Mallet go for a bargain the Pats will skin the Texans in the bartering.

I am thinking the Texans will be disappointed in the other teams offerings especially if they are think they will get what the Rams got back in 2012. Snead could let the Texans do all the heavy lifting & working out the details then when their deal is struck the losers would come to us at a much more reasonable cost or just pass on the Texans all-together & deal with us for the better rate.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Texans taking a chance here in passing on one of the top three QB's & going with Mallet. Teams fighting for that first overall pick will find it very costly...the Rams second selection not so costly. I am sure Snead is in a much better position overall with the Rams than the Texans are. Anyone think the Pats will not let Mallet go for a bargain the Pats will skin the Texans in the bartering.

I am thinking the Texans will be disappointed in the other teams offerings especially if they are think they will get what the Rams got back in 2012. Snead could let the Texans do all the heavy lifting & working out the details then when their deal is struck the losers would come to us at a much more reasonable cost or just pass on the Texans all-together & deal with us for the better rate.
Which devalues our pick. :mad:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In that scenario but the Rams could still come out in good shape. The Texans may want Clowney. Then all three QBs are still in play. If the Texans trade the pick to the most QB hungry team then yes you are correct. Although the Rams would still be a good spot to make a trade.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
At a minimum I see Bradfords ceiling at an Alex Smith level...AT A MINIMUM. Two different teams have shown they can be playoff teams with that type of QB. I think it would be a mistake to jump ship on that at this point...if anything follow the dreaded 49ers example and take another QB in the 2nd or 3rd that has plenty of physical upside...in the first round take your playmakers/lineman or whatever helps the team regardless of who the QB is.

...and this Houston news makes me wonder whether this makes the Rams pick more valuable or less...

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
If the Rams are unable to trade away the pick, I can't see us wasting the second overall pick on Bridgewater only to have him sit the bench when our team is full of needs at other positions. We would take someone like Jake Matthews if we were smart.