Quinton Coples signs with the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
giphy.gif

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe his old buddy Quinn can pull him back into form.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Keeping the all-first-round-picks defensive line tradition alive.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So is it me or is Demoff and Snead plotting to remove all concerns from the defense so this can be an offense heavy draft?

Or are they just setting me up so my head will explode when they go DE at 15???
I think your going to have to keep the " Tylenol " handy come Draft Day!:headexplosion::D

RamBill

Legend
Quinton Coples to Rams: Latest Contract Details, Comments and Reaction
By Mike Chiari , Featured Columnist Mar 16, 2016

View: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2621261-quinton-coples-to-rams-latest-contract-details-comments-and-reaction

Quinton Coples is set to join his third team in a calendar year, as the defensive end signed a two-year contract with the Los Angeles Rams Wednesday.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport was the first to report the signing, and NFL Network's Rand Getlin added that it is worth a base value of $6.5 million with potential incentive growth as well:

Rand Getlin ‎@Rand_Getlin
Im told it's a 2-year deal with a base value of $6.5M for DL Quinton Coples and the #Rams. Max value of $9.75M. Great landing spot for him.

Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer reported Coples had a physical in Carolina a few weeks ago.

The 25-year-old former first-round pick was waived during the 2015 campaign by the New York Jets after spending parts of four seasons with them. He was subsequently claimed by the Miami Dolphins, but was released during the offseason in a cost-cutting move.

Coples entered the NFL out of North Carolina to great fanfare in 2012, and his first three years with the Jets were quite productive.

He registered 16.5 sacks from 2012-2014 and started 30 games during that time frame as well.

His production dropped off significantly in 2015, however, after Todd Bowles replaced Rex Ryan as Gang Green's head coach.

Coples made just eight tackles in nine games with the Jets this past season, and did not appear on the stat sheet in six outings with the Dolphins.

According to Mike Vorkunov of NJ.com, Coples didn't feel as though his skill set worked in Bowles' defense: "Only thing was I didn't fit in the defense. That's why the decision was made."

At 6'6" and 284 pounds, the UNC product is an impressive athlete who has shown an ability to produce at the NFL level. Because of that, it didn't take long for him to receive interest after getting cut by Miami.

Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, the reigning NFC champion Carolina Panthers brought Coples in for a physical on March 1.

His home-state team didn't decide to sign him, which may have had to do with their strength along the defensive line, according to Rapoport:

Coples remained in demand, however, and ultimately landed in a situation that could allow him to return to the form that he displayed in his first few NFL seasons.

The Rams have a strong starting defensive line, but Coples versatility will make him a primary option to fill on for defensive ends Robert Quinn and William Hayes as well as defensive tackles Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers.

Also, following the release of defensive end Chris Long, there are plenty of snaps to be had.

Expectations may not be particularly high for Coples after an awful 2015 campaign, but if he is utilized more logically in 2016, then a major bounce back could be in store.

Last edited:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Hopefully, he's another Barron for us - A first round talent who was in the wrong system. I want to see the details, but this could be a 'Low Risk - (potential) High Reward' signing. I like it!!

Most likely is, UNC ran a base 4-3 defense while the Jets and the Dolphins ran a 3-4 defense. Coples often played as a 3-4 OLB during his first few years in the NFL. I'm pretty sure he's better suited as a 4-3 DE, now the real question is, if he's a left DE or a right DE.

Psycho_X

Legend
Not a bad signing money wise, I like it. If Coples is ever going to succeed it's going to be on a defense that has Quinn and Donald being game planned around not to mention two extremely fast LB'ers in Tree and Barron. If only we had an offense that could put up points this defense would just be laying QBs down every down.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
[GALLERY=media, 73]20160316_121309 by BatteringRambo posted Mar 16, 2016 at 1:14 PM[/GALLERY]

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
NICE!!!
This is really exciting actually

Looks like we are going athletic, fast, and physical freaks and hoping that the system (and most importantly the talents of Aaron Donald & Brockers) are gonna allow them to rise to their full potential
Like Mark Barron
I like these low risk buy-ins with huge upside!!!!
Defense is gonna look so much better with a defense who buy into the vision - Mob Squad 2.0

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Pretty sure he can line up just about anywhere on the Dline. This has the potential to be a great signing. Hes gonna be better putting his hand back in the dirt and just getting after the passer.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Rams sign former first-round bust DE Coples
7438.jpg

Rams signed DE Quinton Coples, formerly of the Dolphins, to a two-year contract.

Coples was the 16th overall pick in the 2012 draft by the Jets. He didn't make much of an on-field impact with Gang Green, registering just 16.5 sacks in three-and-a-half seasons before he was eventually cut last November and claimed off waivers by the Dolphins. Coples was yanked around in New York as a stand-up 3-4 outside linebacker and even tried at 3-4 end. In L.A., he'll slide in as a more traditional 4-3 end and focus on rushing the passer. It's a low-risk, high-upside signing for a Rams team that has shown it can develop pass rushers.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 16 - 2:34 PM

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Most likely is, UNC ran a base 4-3 defense while the Jets and the Dolphins ran a 3-4 defense. Coples often played as a 3-4 OLB during his first few years in the NFL. I'm pretty sure he's better suited as a 4-3 DE, now the real question is, if he's a left DE or a right DE.

Has to be LDE, and insurance/depth in case Quinn gets injured. Rams pretty solid now at DE. They also have a promising young player in Longacre, so the rotation should be very good.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Effectively is Long's replacement. Its a decent signing that is worth it for his upside. They better focus on the offense in the draft because they have done nothing to improve that otherwise.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Could be a great signing. This gets him to his natural position and gets him some good coaching. Reminds me of the Fairley signing except we get Coples for two years.

RamBill

Legend
Rams sign DE Quinton Coples to replace Chris Long
In Coples, Rams add former first-rounder who's still only 25

By NATE ATKINS

http://www.profootballweekly.com/20...quinton-coples-to-replace-chris-long/a123he4/

The Rams are trading out one former first-round defensive end for another. Los Angeles has agreed to a two-year contract with Quinton Coples, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday on Twitter.

Coples, 25, was the 16th overall pick in the 2012 draft by the Jets. He started 30 games his first three years, totaling 16.5 sacks. The 6-foot-6, 284-pounder really fell off last year, starting just two of 10 games in New York before being traded to Miami, where he appeared in six games with no recorded stats. He finished 2015 with eight tackles and no sacks.

The signing comes a few weeks after the Rams released former No. 2 overall pick Chris Long and one day after Long signed with the Patriots.

The way we see it

The Rams are going to try to motivate a career underachiever in Coples with a loaded defensive end group and a 4-3 system that's going to play more naturally to his frame and abilities. If the money is cheap, this is a good call and could turn into another success story like Nick Fairley last season.

The Rams are essentially trading out Chris Long for a much cheaper but still talented end, yet they still aren't going to be reliant on his production with Robert Quinn and William Hayes locked in as starters.