QBs that may slide in the draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

methomas50

UDFA
The Rams are a forward thinking organization, I have been thinking lately that both Penix and Nix might slide in the draft for various reasons. Penix with age and injuries. From everything I have read Nix did not show that well at the Senior Bowl. A guy I think might be there at 19 that McVay might look at and say I could mold is JJ McCarthy out of Michigan. He has has some rough spots but he played well in big games and i believe he has NFL arm talent to make all the throws. Do you think the Rams could surprise at 19 and take a QB?

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
I’ve seen several mocks give us a QB at #19, including a couple on NFL.com.

Personally, I’d go defence.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
If we covered off CB and Edge in free agency then sure, take a flyer on a QB at 19. JJ would be my choice at that spot if QB was the pick.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I've seen both of the mentioned QB's regularly in the 2nd, which is the max I'd spend on them in a Superbowl season. We desperately need to upgrade a few positions to help us get there. QB isn't one of them.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I guess I'm in the minority that wouldn't even consider Penix, Nix, or McCarthy in the first round of any draft.

You're not. I don't consider them first round quarterbacks either.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Penix and his wonky mechanics. He may become great, but will need to sit at least two seasons until he gets his accuracy and motion fixed.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
With the top 3 qb's that have any chance if falling to us (Penix, McCarthy, and Nix), I personally view them very differently for the Rams.
Nix- I like him much more than most, but if you draft him you are getting him in there as soon as possible in hopes of a 10+ year QB for your franchise. He's already more experienced and older than his peers in this class. I don't see that being the Rams.
Penix- Is already 24. For the Rams, he'd sit at least one and hopefully more years. The positive/optimistic piece for the Rams would be he'd be immediately playable after Matt retired and would give McVay some time to prepare him. I doubt they go this way, personally, but I could see the rationale.
McCarthy- Younger than Nix, one could envision him sitting for a couple of years as a heir under McVay. Totally depends on McSnead's evaluations and vision, which I totally trust.
In short, I totally believe in Snead's/McVay's vision and would be totally supportive of a qb pick with our first if that's where they landed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Spencer Rattler on Day 2 seems like an ideal pick for me unless a miracle happens and Jayden Daniels falls.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I just don’t see McVay being a guy wanting to develop a QB. I think when Stafford moves on in a couple years, we will acquire another vet QB. The only QBs McSnead will be drafting will be backup types.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I’ve seen several mocks give us a QB at #19, including a couple on NFL.com.

Personally, I’d go defence.

Make that three.
Daniel Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks, and Ed Edholm

nfl.com says that Rams are going to take a QB at #19 if it's the last thing they do.:laugh2:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wouldn’t want a QB earlier than round three. This team is getting close to contention. A very good draft that plugs some holes could put them over the top. A future QB doesn’t do that.

Corner, safety, lineman on both sides, and edge rusher are all more important for the next two seasons.

To get a top edge they will need to sign one. First three picks will likely be Corner, DT, OL. But never rule out McVay wanting to move up for an offensive weapon.

Memphis Ram

Legend
My guess is that after McCarthy works out, he'll probably be listed in the top 14 or so selection in the later mock drafts.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Spencer Rattler on Day 2 seems like an ideal pick for me unless a miracle happens and Jayden Daniels falls.
IDK Councilor Rattler is short and very inconsistent. Not sure about his love for the game either, I like others over him like Joe Milton III of Tennessee, who is bigger, stronger, faster and has a better arm.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If the Rams got a *great* offer for the #19 pick.. at least a 3rd rounder while staying in the first round.. I could see them spending a second on a QB that they feel could be a decent backup in year one.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
IDK Councilor Rattler is short and very inconsistent. Not sure about his love for the game either, I like others over him like Joe Milton III of Tennessee, who is bigger, stronger, faster and has a better arm.
Man, Miltons accuracy is scary. Not sure if you watched the Senior bowl, but he missed his check down RB by like 7 yards and it was a pass I could have made. He's got a howitzer for an arm, but, his accuracy is going to be front and center in the NFL as defenders take them back for TD's. I don't think Milton has the accuracy or reading the defense well enough for a starting gig. Just my opinion. Probably strongest arm in draft though.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Man, Miltons accuracy is scary. Not sure if you watched the Senior bowl, but he missed his check down RB by like 7 yards and it was a pass I could have made. He's got a howitzer for an arm, but, his accuracy is going to be front and center in the NFL as defenders take them back for TD's. I don't think Milton has the accuracy or reading the defense well enough for a starting gig. Just my opinion. Probably strongest arm in draft though.
You are probably right as Milton was so inconsistent and the accuracy is the reason. Rattler just scares me as IMO, he is too short for my liking. Having Stafford & then Wentz spoiled me and I truly hope the keep Wentz and don't lose him to Atlanta.

Tano

Legend
Penix and his wonky mechanics. He may become great, but will need to sit at least two seasons until he gets his accuracy and motion fixed.
I don't see Penix with the arm like Josh Allen. It will take quite awhile to get him fixed.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not really a fan of a QB in the first but I'd get it looking to the future just don't think it'll happen. Jrry and a couple others have started talking me into Rattler other than him not really interested in any QB's outside of the first. Jordan Travis has mechanical/footwork issues but he's I guess the only other one I'd gamble on.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Milton is a hard no for me. Cannon for an arm, but he has no anticipation and bad accuracy.