QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think ideally the Rams would like to take a QB in the first round. If their targeted players are off the board that doesn't diminish the Ram need at QB. They would still need a QB2 which I think they could get in the 5th round. A player I've been looking at is Michael Pratt.

Pratt will drop because of his perceived lack of arm strength. But it was the same criticism of Drew Brees as a rookie. But as Brees showed it's simply a matter of improved targeted physical training.

What I like about Pratt is that he's a pocket passer who has flashed the ability to perform full field reads. His game is short to intermediate passing which he does well. McVay's revised offense is exactly that. Chunk plays coming from intermediate pass completions and YAC. He needs work on his mechanics but with a year behind Stafford, he would have time to develop. Pratt could provide good service as a QB2 with the ability to possibly evolve into a starter. His game is similar to Purdy's in some respects. He makes sound decisions quickly showing a sound understanding of passing concepts.

McVay's revised offense has opened the door to a QB like Pratt as either a quality backup or a potential starter. There is a lot of media buzz around Rattler but personally, I like Pratt a bit more.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I need to look more into Pratt, he sounds intriguing.

Ideally, the Rams should seriously consider taking a QB in R1, due to Staffords age and injury history. He looked All-World last season, and his arm rivaled the SB year if not better. But the truth is, he's (PROBABLY) closer to one big hit away from being seriously hurt, than standing back up.

And getting a young guy behind him to learn his ways, his game and knowledge would be incredible for our future.

On the flip side, to me, we have much bigger issues at DB, EDGE and TE than we do at backup QB right now. And IF Stafford is healthy all year, for NEXT season a DB or EDGE in R1 and 2 probably goes further for us.

With that side, unless DeJean is gone at 19 :sunglasses:, I wouldn't hate a QB in R1.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I would like to see the Rams address Edge and OL in free agency and then draft CB and QB.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don’t want A QB at 19.

I’d prefer THE QB at 19, if McSead really covet a guy.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Hope they don’t use a pick on a backup QB before pick 177. There will be a couple still there then. Milton, Hartman, Reed come to mind.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I actually don't like the idea of a young QB learning from watching Stafford. He would try to copy all the throws that Stafford makes but not have the arm to do it with.
We'll draft a guy in the 1st round after Stafford retires.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The NFL would unravel if the Rams took a QB in the 5th round and he developed into a good starter. First Puka then a QB? The value of first round picks would devalue. That would be the ultimate fuck you NFL. First Purdy then the Rams. Talent is where you find it. Play to their strengths and even mid round and late round players can be significant starters. People get too caught up with what round a player was taken. Too many quality players are taken outside of the first round for it to be a fluke.

You don't need a team of HOFers to win a Lombardi. You need coaches that play to the strength of their rosters, and players with solid work ethics to play at a high level. This team is headed in the right direction and that is all that matters.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You need a borderline HOF QB to win the SB, and with very few exception, you wont find one in the mid-late rounds. Especially those who lack in arm strength. Pratt was a perfect candidate to hit the portal and grab some dough, missed his shot.
If Rams want a mid/late round QB, Jordan Travis would be the guy.
If they want a potential starter, grab Rattler/Nix/Penix in the 2nd/3rd

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
There is no QB at 19 that wouldn't be a major reach. I'm on board with Penix/Nix is 2nd I guess, if Rams are dying to draft one. There are other routes to getting a good/solid back up also.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I don’t see the rush to get a Stafford replacement now. Staff likely playing another 1-3 years.

Waiting until that time and get one. You’ll have AD, Kupp and Staffs contracts off the books. You can draft a 1st rounder at that time. Or whose’s to say there isn’t a very good (or great) free agent QB available 2-3 years from now. Deal with that problem later. We’re winning the SBowl now.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
There is no QB at 19 that wouldn't be a major reach. I'm on board with Penix/Nix is 2nd I guess, if Rams are dying to draft one. There are other routes to getting a good/solid back up also.
Yeah, I would never draft a QB in rd 1 unless he was a no brainer to be a potential franchise QB. If you reach in rd 1, you have 4 yrs with a pricey contract and then having to decide whether to give the guy his 5th yr option, which can be steep. See Daniel Jones.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I still say bad year to draft a QB. If you are going all in this year, I'd try to plug all holes before that. Not saying we don't need a serviceable backup, draft one late or sign Wentz or another vet. Unlike last year, there will be a few available this season. I can't help but think Joe Milton could be a great backup. He can run and has an absolute rocket launcher. Seems like the perfect skill set not to have to have the playbook down to a science early on in case he's needed. McVay could have a mini Milton game plan.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Neither Nix or Penix will drop to the second and third round. They probably will go in the top 10. IMO McCarthy will probably go somewhere in the top 15. I'd rather have Pratt than Rattler, because I think he's a better fit and has a lot of potential if he has the drive and work ethic to improve himself.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Both Nix and Penix go top 10?!? 6 QBs in top 15?!? Ok dude. I hope this one time you are right. Because that pushes better players to 19.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Neither Nix or Penix will drop to the second and third round. They probably will go in the top 10. IMO McCarthy will probably go somewhere in the top 15. I'd rather have Pratt than Rattler, because I think he's a better fit and has a lot of potential if he has the drive and work ethic to improve himself.
I'd be happy to take a bet with anyone who believes this about Nix and Penix. We can place the money with a ROD member ahead of the draft. I'd even contemplate giving odds.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just for shits and giggles, I looked over the past 20 years of drafts
107 QB were drafted 5th round or later
Only 2 started and won a playoff game. Purdy & TJ Yates
*If* Rams go QB, my hope is either Rattler in the 3rd or Milton in 5th
While I say "No thanks" to Pratt, it likely means the Rams will draft him. Lol

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you reach in rd 1, you have 4 yrs with a pricey contract and then having to decide whether to give the guy his 5th yr option, which can be steep. See Daniel Jones.
Actually, the Giants declined Jones 5th year option which ended up costing them a ton more!
Had they paid the 5th year, it would have "only" cost 25 mill, and after the year he had it would have been sayonara.
Instead, the dumbasses paid him 37 mill, and overall committed 92 MILLION Guaranteed to Jones
Cue Zac Stacy:
YIKES

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Just for shits and giggles, I looked over the past 20 years of drafts
107 QB were drafted 5th round or later
Only 2 started and won a playoff game. Purdy & TJ Yates
*If* Rams go QB, my hope is either Rattler in the 3rd or Milton in 5th
While I say "No thanks" to Pratt, it likely means the Rams will draft him. Lol
They are not drafting their future star QB in this draft. If they draft one he will hopefully be a competent back up or project as a 3rd string QB.

And I am not saying you are expecting them to draft a star QB, just making a statement on the reality of what your post highlights on late rd QBs.