Preseason Indicators that May (or may not) Mean Something

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
I believe the only force of randomness in this universe is thought. Everything else can be solved if you know enough.

Rolling a die for example just appears to be random. But if you knew the hardness of the die, direction of spin, velocity, starting position, arc, medium it is travelling in, hardness of the surface you are rolling on, gravity, etc., etc., then I believe you could predict the roll with 100% accuracy. It is "random" because we lack the real time processing power to solve it. Down the road AI will be able to solve this type of stuff in real time and tell you your roll after you let go of the die.

Computers use sampled noise to do RNG, or they used to. Which appears random for sure. But if you knew everything about the cosmic background, it might not be random. I doubt it is. This is just our ignorance making it seem random.

Only thought seems to break free of this. At least in my thinking. Maybe I'm wrong too who knows but it makes me wonder if thought is special or some sort of desired result. Probably not of course but I still wonder about that.
Live long and prosper My friend.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I believe the only force of randomness in this universe is thought. Everything else can be solved if you know enough.

Rolling a die for example just appears to be random. But if you knew the hardness of the die, direction of spin, velocity, starting position, arc, medium it is travelling in, hardness of the surface you are rolling on, gravity, etc., etc., then I believe you could predict the roll with 100% accuracy. It is "random" because we lack the real time processing power to solve it. Down the road AI will be able to solve this type of stuff in real time and tell you your roll after you let go of the die.

Computers use sampled noise to do RNG, or they used to. Which appears random for sure. But if you knew everything about the cosmic background, it might not be random. I doubt it is. This is just our ignorance making it seem random.

Only thought seems to break free of this. At least in my thinking. Maybe I'm wrong too who knows but it makes me wonder if thought is special or some sort of desired result. Probably not of course but I still wonder about that.
These were definitely random thoughts...but I appreciate them. Made me think. :giggle:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
  • Rationalist perspective
    Probability is only affected by confirmed causal connections. The gambler's fallacy and inverse gambler's fallacy are examples of reasoning problems that arise from common beliefs in luck. These problems involve denying the unpredictability of random events.

• Modality theory
    This theory states that a lucky event occurs in the actual world but not in a wide class of similar worlds where the initial conditions are the same. Epistemologists like this approach because it involves "a true belief that could very easily have been false".

• Normative theory of luck
    This theory focuses on circumstances where success can be a misleading indicator of merit. For example, higher performance may not indicate superior merit or set a good benchmark for learning and imitation.

• Philosophy of action
    A common claim in this area is that acting because of luck prevents free action.

• Epistemology
    A platitude in this area is that coming to believe the truth by sheer luck is incompatible with knowing.

Just a few days ago Avenger was throwing around the word, “pejorative”.

What the hell is going on around here?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don

It would certainly seem that once all factors are considered both known and unknown, randomness gets stripped from the equation and luck ceases to exist, Ramsey's theory states sheer randomness is impossible but disorder is likely.

For the sake of sanity, I call it luck lol
more puzzles than solutions is a Sisyphus event of sorts

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

mel b love GIF by America's Got Talent

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I didn't see the game today, but noticed that the Rams missed an extra point. The kicker looks okay but I hope he doesn't turn shaky when the season starts.

Name
Steve Davis

That's a whole lot of thought process. I just go with one of my good friend's sayings (also thought to be attributed to the Roman Philosopher, Seneca). If anyone calls him lucky he just responds with "Luck is merely where preparation meets opportunity"