PREGAME Pregame Thread - Lions at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
I'm seeing the headlines "How much will Stafford torch the Lions", "Rams favored by over 15+" and even "Lions brace for Shitstorm in LA" (okay I made that one up)... and while I would like these scenarios to happen, I just can't ever rely on any pregame heavy favorite hype. Tuning in to the NFL since the mid-70's I've seen my share of upsets where a team was heavily favored.

The obvious ones:

Jets 16 Colts 7 SB III (okay a little before my time)
Cheats 20 Rams 17 SB 36 (still can't watch a replay)
Jets over Rams 2020 (recent memory everyone points to)

Here's a few more (dis)honorable mentions that some may recall:

Bears 24 Rams 23 MNF 1977.
This was the game where Namath proved to be a statue of liability. But really the Bears had no business scoring 24 on the Rams with shitty Avellini at QB. He threw 2 TD bombs in arguably the best game of his career.

Vikings 14 Rams 7 Mud Bowl 1977
And backup QB Lee had no business beating Rams at home after LA steamrolled them 35-3 earlier on MNF with starter Tarkenton playing. When I saw the rain shot in the NFL Today pregame show my heart sank. Can't repeat what I said then or during game to avoid permanent banishment. Words I think I can use here outside of the nasties are ridiculous, stupid, and lucky.

Saints 10 Rams 3 1978.
Yes the Saints used to be a joke back then. At home, the 8-0 Rams committed 10+ penalties and turned the ball over a few times in an upset loss. This is the concern: sloppy play causing a letdown.

Packers 36 Rams 24 1990.
Fresh after getting to the NFC champ game the previous year, Rams were upset in week 1 by a below avg GB team with a no-name QB: Anthony Dilweg, who never went anywhere.

The above examples were all preceded by me thinking before the game was played "We got this!!!" Obviously I'm cautious of being an overwhelming favorite but I've seen enough upsets outside of these examples to not be overconfident. Uncharacteristic bunches of penalties and turnovers would keep the Lions in the game. And hopefully Detroit doesn't do much out and up routes to fake aggressive covg... that would be a concern.

So if the Rams play like they should: smash, smash, suhh-MASH!!
I think this should be posted on the bulletin board before every game where we are heavy favorites to win

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

The single most ignorant statement regarding the Rams - lions matchup

has to come from Eric Woodyard.

Who is apparently the lions beat writer for espn. his statement falls under the "Bold Predictions"
segment of the article.

Bold prediction: Goff will pass for 300-plus yards. Although he has had just one such game this season, he will bring his A-game against his old team while trying to be as accurate as possible. Going against his former teammates Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey is a tough task, but he knows their tendencies. -- Eric Woodyard

Now I could buy Goff throwing for 300yds, but if he does it will have nothing to do with Goff knowing the tendencies of either player
as if Goff has some inside edge as to what AD or Jalen will be doing on any certain play. It makes absolutely no sense.
I could understand if he had stated Goff will throw for 300yds due to Ram secondary issues and injuries.
But in my mind his statement makes absolutely zero football sense.

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Full article -

Lions (0-6) at Rams (5-1)

4:05 p.m. ET | FOX
Matchup rating:
49.9 | Spread: LAR -15.5 (50.5)

What to watch for: Sunday's matchup marks an intriguing pair of reunions. Rams coach Sean McVay will face off against Goff, his former quarterback of four seasons who admitted this week that he remains sour about how last January's blockbuster trade that sent him to Detroit in exchange for Lions quarterback Stafford went down. And while McVay and Goff will face each other for the first time, Stafford will also for the first time face his former team, which he requested a trade from after 12 seasons. -- Lindsey Thiry

Bold prediction: Goff will pass for 300-plus yards. Although he has had just one such game this season, he will bring his A-game against his old team while trying to be as accurate as possible. Going against his former teammates Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey is a tough task, but he knows their tendencies. -- Eric Woodyard

Stat to know: Stafford's 16 touchdown passes this season are the most in NFL history in a player's first six games with a team.

Injuries: Lions | Rams

What to know for fantasy: The NFC has seen a QB throw over 25 passes and average 0.85 fantasy points per pass in a game five times this season, and Stafford is responsible for two of them (Weeks 1 and 6). See Week 7 rankings.

Betting nugget: Double-digit favorites are 8-0 outright and 6-2 ATS this season. Read more.

Woodyard's pick: Rams 34, Lions 19
Thiry's pick: Rams 38, Lions 14
FPI prediction: LAR, 86.3% (by an average of 15.0 points)

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
When you're making $30ish million per year as the QB, it comes with the territory. I'm not disputing that he's surrounded with shit, but Jared is a big boy. He can handle some criticism.
The $30 million helps.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Sean Mcvay was really pissed during and after the Giants game. When Stafford threw the interception Mcvay literally threw his headset.
Stafford didn’t throw an interception he put it right in Kupp’s hands, that was all in Kupp.

Last edited by a moderator:

tempests

Hall of Fame

Who is apparently the lions beat writer for espn. his statement falls under the "Bold Predictions"
segment of the article.

Now I could buy Goff throwing for 300yds, but if he does it will have nothing to do with Goff knowing the tendencies of either player
as if Goff has some inside edge as to what AD or Jalen will be doing on any certain play. It makes absolutely no sense.
I could understand if he had stated Goff will throw for 300yds due to Ram secondary issues and injuries.
But in my mind his statement makes absolutely zero football sense.
Yeah, Goff has one 300 yard game this year, and the Rams have allowed 300 passing yards just once this year. Hard to envision because Goff has one reliable receiver and is throwing short of the first down sticks all the time.

Maybe if the game is a blowout, the Rams are playing closer to prevent in the 4th. Might sound like overconfidence but no matter how motivated Goff would be, that really shouldn't matter. Lions are shorthanded on offense, period, and I would really be surprised if we couldn't defend them.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still waiting to see how they approach Hopkins ... will he be inactive again?

Well, yea. Hopkins could well be out the door soon, but him being inactive today wouldn't tell us anything.

Mundt is strictly a blocking TE. Hopkins is not that good a blocker. It's likely that Hopkins is Higbee's backup and Blanton was Mundts, and they just knew they could stash a blocking TE on the PS

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Today is a hugely important game for the Rams.

The last time we played the "worst" team in the NFL, the Jets beat us.

McVay was agitated with the offensive struggles last week from the slow start.

Our defense is finding it's groove.

All these things add up to a 40-3 type of game, but we need to execute

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wow - I have been watching the first half of the lions game and everyone just goes by the stats.

That Lion team on offense really sucks.

It is beyond horrible.

The running game was only getting 1 yard on most plays.

The offensive line was called for penalties left and right.

Goff is being pressured after two seconds and all his receivers are covered on every play so he has to check down.

Nowhere else to throw the ball.

The 4th down play was bad but he didn't have a chance on any other play.

Plus the one time he had time he threw downfield to a wide open WR 25 yards downfield and it was a perfect pass to him and he caught it and while falling down, the DB ran over and took the ball right out of the receivers hands.

And that was called an interception. Goff just doesn't get any breaks lol.

And I am going to say it now - even Brady would have not been able to do anything with that offense that day in the first half.
Was this before or after his dog ate his homework?
I like this dude. You KNOW he wants Jared to be better too. It hit home with me bcuz I feel we all had shared frustration.

View: https://youtu.be/c0pES7HfUT0

Thought he dwelled a little too much on each play but he was pretty entertaining and correct. I also get the feeling he would love that great Jared to show up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Thought he dwelled a little too much on each play but he was pretty entertaining and correct. I also get the feeling he would love that great Jared to show up.
Any time we face a former Ram I figure we'll get his best. And often it seems to happen that way. Chris Long, Marcus Peters, etc.

Goff is streaky and has nothing to lose. So yeah I assume he's going to play with his balls out. Still should win but I'm ready to deal with them moving up and down the field.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm just hoping the Rams build a large enough lead by the end of the 3'rd quarter that we can substitute our starters out in the 4'th as done last week. I want to see more of Wolford, the 2'nd tier TE's, Noteboom, Skowronek, Atwell, Howell, Bobby Brown, and Ernest & Jamir Jones. Get Whitworth & Lewis back to the sidelines as early as possible. jmo.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
If I’ve learned anything in my half century of being a Rams fan is pregame Hubris can and occasionally will bite you in the ass

The Lions one would think are in for a shellacking, hope it’s so but I have a hint of apprehension going on here