Practice Squad Signings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think fans believe a practice squads sole purpose is to find future starters or key contributors. However, I assume a week out from the start of a new season it is more important for a team to sign players that know their system so they can step in and fill a role in practice when needed without having to teach a system. Plus, if a player is needed early, you can activate a guy that knows the system.

Now obviously a team will grab a few outside players they like, but they have to bring in players that can step in on Monday and know what is going on in practice.

So shockingly a practice squad's main purpose is to help your team in practice, which is why 80% of teams practice squads consist of thier own previosly cut players.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Jim Thomas @jthom1 · 8m
Daniels has some skill, but has been plagued by injuries.

Jim Thomas @jthom1 · 8m
Forgot about this one since he was cut in the first round of cuts. But S Matt Daniels is being signed to Rams practice squad.

Jim Thomas @jthom1 · 20m
LB Kevin Reddick of New Orleans is joining Rams practice squad.

Jim Thomas @jthom1 · 38m
. . .LB Lawrence Wilson, WR Emory Blake.

Jim Thomas @jthom1 · 38m
Candidates for remaining Rams practice squad spots include: CB Greg Reid, QB Garrett Gilbert, S Christian Bryant, LB Etienne Sabino. . .
R

Jim Thomas @jthom1 · 41m
Keeping an eye on Terrelle Pryor and Rex Grossman, two QBs released over the weekend who remain available for Rams.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Signed as a free agent following the 2013 draft out of the University of North Carolina, Reddick proved his worth with his inspired play on special teams, where he led the club with 13 tackles and added one forced fumble. His energetic nature also carried over to the defense, where he made two stops.
per New Orleans Saints.com profile

Wonder how long it takes for him to make the active roster on special teams.
Could he eventually take Chase Reynolds spot?

Signed,
Poster concerned about having only 5 active LBs on gameday.

832333ed9ceb756fefab13dec4c5aada_bigger.jpeg

Mike Triplett ‏@MikeTriplett Aug 26
If #Saints indeed cut LB Kevin Reddick, I'd be very surprised. Was still starting on all special teams units in preseason like last year ...

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just saw that QB Conner Shaw was signed to the Browns Practice Squad....I have heard from some, that he could be a Russell Wilson type player. Wouldn't we want a player like that, if so, on our roster?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Just saw that QB Conner Shaw was signed to the Browns Practice Squad....I have heard from some, that he could be a Russell Wilson type player. Wouldn't we want a player like that, if so, on our roster?
He's another developmental QB who wouldn't even sniff the field this year, so I'm not sure Fisher would want to commit to that. He does have a lively arm, and is uber-competitive, but has he taken a snap from under center ... ever?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Matt Daniels? What about Christian Bryant? Way more potential.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
why would you try to take him from their PS, only to have to add him to the 53 man roster? He doesn't know the system, and would serve zero purpose at this point. And as a developmental guy, I would rather have Gilbert.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
He's another developmental QB who wouldn't even sniff the field this year, so I'm not sure Fisher would want to commit to that. He does have a lively arm, and is uber-competitive, but has he taken a snap from under center ... ever?

He's raw, but he made plays.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach - What are your thoughts on the Rams PS so far? Any thoughts or information on if the Rams will be signing any QB's to their Final Roster and/or PS and if so who it might be?
If I had to guess, they will be adding Gilbert to the PS. That was based on what I heard when the original cut list came out. But obviously, the PS is fluid, and changes continually.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If I had to guess, they will be adding Gilbert to the PS. That was based on what I heard when the original cut list came out. But obviously, the PS is fluid, and changes continually.

True. A veteran QB pickup might all but do away with Gilbert's chances of being added to the practice squad.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Interestingly enough, for all the talk of roster improvement, not one Rams player released got claimed via waivers. Has any been signed to another team's practice squad yet?

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Just a numbers game and Rams have 6-7 guys who can play DE and 5 than can play DT, 7 if you count nickle . . .Rams need other things. I wish him well, hp[e he goes to a team who can use him right away, but he wasn't necessarily one of top 63 for this team. I

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The thing that is being overlooked, is his future is not decided just because he doesn't land somewhere this week. Practice Squads will remain fluid throughout the season, so there is nothing saying he won't be signed by someone at some point. Same goes for just about any of these other guys.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The thing that is being overlooked, is his future is not decided just because he doesn't land somewhere this week. Practice Squads will remain fluid throughout the season, so there is nothing saying he won't be signed by someone at some point. Same goes for just about any of these other guys.

And hopefully, this includes Sam who has apparently been wronged by not being picked up by now.:(

Last edited: