Post Matthews Rams Mock ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
All right, I was bored.
The Cleveland Browns traded away their 1'st Rd. pick for WR OBJ, so they do an even point trade with the Rams, exchanging their 2'nd round (#49) and 3'rd round pick (#80) for the Rams #31.

Extend :

CB Marcus Peters for 4 years

Re-signed :

OLB) Dante Fowler

Re-sign :

ILB) Cory Littleton
CB) Sam Shields
RB) Malcolm Brown
CB) Troy Hill
ILB) Bryce Hager
CB) Kevin Peterson
S) Blake Countess
DE) Morgan Fox
WR/R) JoJo Natson
CB) Dominique Hatfield
WR) KhaDarel Hodge
OLB) Garrett Sickels

Cut or let Walk :

ILB) Mark Barron
OG) Rodger Saffold
DT) Ndamukong Suh
S) Lamarcus Joyner
OLB) Matt Longacre
ILB) Ramik Wilson
QB) Sean Mannion
OLB/DE) Dominique Easley
DE/DT) Ethan Westbrooks
RB) CJ Anderson

Free Agent Acquisitions :

S) Eric Weddle (2 years)
OLB/ILB) Clay Matthews (2 years)
QB) Blake Bortles (1 year)

OG/C) Ryan Groy (2 years)

2019 NFL Draft :

2/49 - DE Zach Allen, B.C.
3/80 - CB Justin Layne, Mi.St.
3/94 - OG Beau Benzschawel, Wi.
3/99 - DT Khalen Saunders, W.Il.
4/133 - CB Lonnie Johnson, Ky.
5/169 - OT/OG Derwin Gray, Md.
6/203 - RB Alex Mattison, Boise St.
7/251 - TE Kaden Smith, Stanford

Offensive Roster :

QB) Goff, Bortles, Allen

LT) Whitworth, Noteboom
LG) Noteboom, Groy, Demby
C) Allen, Neary, Blythe, Groy
RG) Blythe, Benzschawel
RT) Havenstein, Gray

RB's) Gurley, M. Brown, J. Davis, J. Kelly, Mattison

WR's) Cooks, Woods, Kupp, Reynolds, Thomas

TE's) Higbee, Everett, J. Mundt, K. Smith

Defensive Roster :

LDE) Z. Allen, Franklin-Myers
DT/NT) Brockers, Saunders, Joseph-Day, T. Smart
RDE) Donald, Saunders, T. Smart

ROLB - Fowler, Fox, Okoronkwo, Lawler
ILB - Littleton, Kiser, Hager
ILB - Ebukam, Matthews, Kiser, Hager
LOLB - Matthews, Okoronkwo, Ebukam, Lawler

CB's) Talib, Peters, Robey-Coleman, Layne, Shields, L. Johnson
SS) Johnson, Countess, T. Howard
FS) Weddle, Christian

Special Teams :

K) Greg Zuerlein
P) Johnny Hekker
LS) Jake McQuaide

65 players have been listed, leaving 15 UDFA's & final phase veteran free agent cap cuts to bring the number up to 80 for camp. jmo

Fire Away ...

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
It's interesting for sure. I'm not sure why you're adding Lonnie Johnson when we have a ton of cornerbacks (especially with Peters re-signing.) I think that Layne's played himself into a second round spot.

On the roster, you mixed up Trevon Young and Travin Howard's names (Howard is the linebacker/safety hybrid/Young is an edge rusher.)

Otherwise, nothing to complain about. Good job.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's interesting for sure. I'm not sure why you're adding Lonnie Johnson when we have a ton of cornerbacks (especially with Peters re-signing.) I think that Layne's played himself into a second round spot.

On the roster, you mixed up Trevon Young and Travin Howard's names (Howard is the linebacker/safety hybrid/Young is an edge rusher.)

Otherwise, nothing to complain about. Good job.

Appreciate the call on Howard, I made the quick edit before it stopped allowing me to enter it. I added Johnson just in case we also lose Talib and/or Shields in 2020, that and I don't have all that much confidence in Hill or Hatfield being around long.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Appreciate the call on Howard, I made the quick edit before it stopped allowing me to enter it. I added Johnson just in case we also lose Talib and/or Shields in 2020, that and I don't have all that much confidence in Hill or Hatfield being around long.

There's also Kevin Peterson (excellent nickel corner/special teams player). He had an ACL injury last year, but I still remember the two interceptions against Garappolo. And Hatfield is an ERFA, I think. Yes, we'll likely lose Hill and Talib (I don't think we'll re-sign Shields this year), but that can be helped with another cornerback in the next draft because this cornerback class - aside from the top guys - is utter trash.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can’t get my head around this trade.
Cleveland had 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, then traded 2 of them for OBJ. Now they are going to trade the other 2 picks to barely get in to the 1st round? Doesn’t make any sense.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Can’t get my head around this trade.
Cleveland had 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, then traded 2 of them for OBJ. Now they are going to trade the other 2 picks to barely get in to the 1st round? Doesn’t make any sense.

It may make sense if you want a better shot at a top tier edge rusher, something the Browns are seeking if the media pundits are correct.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It may make sense if you want a better shot at a top tier edge rusher, something the Browns are seeking if the media pundits are correct.
They’ll have to move up farther than 31 to get a top tier edge rusher, and if one of them drops to 31, is rather the Rams take em

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
They’ll have to move up farther than 31 to get a top tier edge rusher, and if one of them drops to 31, is rather the Rams take em

With the acquisition of Matthews & the re-signing of Fowler the Rams are pretty stacked at OLB, i'd prefer we start addressing our many other team needs, and adding another 3'rd rounder can help us fulfill that obligation imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a fan of Zach Allen. I didn't see enough pass rush potential there.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm not a fan of Zach Allen. I didn't see enough pass rush potential there.

There's a real shortage of 3/4 DE's with this draft unless you move some of the far higher ranked DT's over. I think he'll be an improvement over Brockers at the position, and with potentially up to 5 guys along the line, i'm not sure he has to do much more than to help crush the pocket and pursue his prey. The combination of Donald, Matthews, Fowler & Allen should be pretty effective as pass rushers imo. This mock is meant to help us get ready for Brockers' possible loss to free agency next year and the Suh/Westbrooks loss this year. Brockers will still rotate in and out from both the inside and the outside, whether we draft a DE or DT early. Drafting Khalen Saunders essentially gets us two quality Defensive Linemen for the price of our late first round draft pick. jmo.

https://www.patriots.com/news/de-zach-allen-among-impressive-bc-crop

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Also on Zach Allen :

Big, Strong and Fundamentally sound DE who can play in either a 4-3 or 3-4 defense as a DE. Gets off the snap well, has a variety of pass rush moves against tackles on either side. Does a great job of read and react, setting the edge against the runs and play action rollouts. Constant hustle, sure tackler, and instinctive getting QB off their spot. He has ability to do a lot on the field including the ability to kick inside with a few pounds added to be a disruptive 3 technique. A true gamer who will have team by team value and position.

@draftsitebuddy, analyst for http://draftsite.com

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the acquisition of Matthews & the re-signing of Fowler the Rams are pretty stacked at OLB, i'd prefer we start addressing our many other team needs, and adding another 3'rd rounder can help us fulfill that obligation imo.
My apologies.
First and foremost, I appreciate the effort you put in here. Whether I agree or disagree, I still enjoyed the read. So thanks for posting.
On edge, I don’t agree that Fowler (1 year deal) and Matthews (what’s left in the tank?)
prevent the Rams from taking a top flight edge rusher at 31, (heck even you have them going DE with their first pick) I don’t think there really will be at that pick.
I can see them trading out, but more likely to a team backing in to round 1 to grab a qb and that 5th year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The more I look at the early DL types the more I am starting to think many of them aren't what the Rams are looking for. Allen looks like he'll be a solid pro, but what we need is someone in the middle who can anchor in on run plays (i.e. not be washed 3+ yards out of his fit) and give us a bit of a rush threat on passing downs. There are a few really good players that just look like 3T or 5T moreso than guys you can count on in the middle.

Your draft looks to have one starter for our opening weekend: Saunders. And I love that pick. But the rest aren't really impact types on the field. That starts with your first rounder IMO.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The more I look at the early DL types the more I am starting to think many of them aren't what the Rams are looking for. Allen looks like he'll be a solid pro, but what we need is someone in the middle who can anchor in on run plays (i.e. not be washed 3+ yards out of his fit) and give us a bit of a rush threat on passing downs. There are a few really good players that just look like 3T or 5T moreso than guys you can count on in the middle.

Your draft looks to have one starter for our opening weekend: Saunders. And I love that pick. But the rest aren't really impact types on the field. That starts with your first rounder IMO.

Well, we are drafting quite late in each round due to our Super Bowl appearance last season. Once you get out of the 2'nd round it's pretty tough to gauge which players might bring that immediate impact that we all seek, and unfortunately, we don't have a 2'nd round pick this year. Unless Franklin-Myers is ready to take over at LDE on a more permanent basis, I'll stick with Zach Allen competing with him to completely displace Brockers next year. We've apparently already lost Suh & Westbrooks this year, so I would imagine we should expect Brockers to spend more time in the middle this coming season, even if we draft an early DT. Both Allen & Saunders would get plenty of playing time as Brockers rotates with both positions as they learn their responsibilities, although Franklin-Myers & Joseph-Day are likely to get more field time as well.

Everyone wants guaranteed & immediate impact players, but that isn't always realistic for teams with limited or later round draft picks, so instead you rely on free agency veterans to hopefully restore balance and bring an impact which might offer a more practical means. Not every NFL team could suffer loses like Saffold, Suh, Joyner, Barron, Anderson, your early 2018 starting ROLB (Longacre) along with a host of 'B' level vets and expect to repeat a Super Bowl appearance, but the Rams haven't quit when adding Weddle, Clay Matthews & Bortles and whatever else may yet arrive. Yes, because of where we draft one could surmise that this is more about restoring depth, but that is obviously quite important for the Rams at this time, and we will need for current veterans to pick up the slack and shoulder the increased burden if we are to reach the Big Show again so quickly. Last year Demoff, Snead, McVay & Phillips did what many fans here thought would be impossible at the beginning of the season, so lets give them some time to put things back in order.
In the meantime, i'm a bit surprised we haven't seen more mocks which emphasize our situation, whether sticking to our current draft numbers or those trade down scenarios, because as yet, I don't believe i've seen or read that perfect answer to our prayers. jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
NFL DRAFT
2019 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Boston College DE Zach Allen
dd199f8d970e1b3dbb6a44b8a92b4ef4

ByAlex Kozora
Posted on February 28, 2019 at 9:30 am
9 Comments
StockZachAllen1.jpg

From now until the 2019 NFL Draft takes place, we hope to showcase as many prospects as possible and examine both their strengths and weaknesses. Most of these profiles will feature individuals that the Pittsburgh Steelers are likely to have an interest in, while a few others will be top-ranked players. If there is a player you would like us to analyze, let us know in the comments below.

#2 Zach Allen/DE Boston College – 6’4/3 280

The Good

– Thick build with elite level length (34 1/2 inch arms), looks like an NFL player
– Quick, efficient and nuanced hand use, really excels and advanced in that area of his game and helps him shed blocks as a pass rusher in the run game
– Powerful initial strike and proper hand placement, puts jolt into tackles on power moves and creates a push
– Above average athlete who moves well and has good change of direction skills
– Shows quick first step off the ball and capable of one-gapping, difficult to reach block in the run game
– Smart pass rusher, has plenty of ways to win and counters, reads tackle’s set and capable of attacking half man
– Able to bend the corner, bull to rip/dip is his best move, flattens and turns upfield at the junction point
– Strength at the point of attack against base blocks when he plays with correct technique
– Good effort player hungry for the football, finishes plays and gets the ball out
– Versatile, played both end spots and doesn’t appear to be one-hand dominant, made an impact on each, kicked inside on third down, has the quickness to beat guards along the interior
– Experience in a 3-4 and 4-3 scheme, college system has hybrid, played a little with his hand up and occasionally asked to cover back in coverage on flares/swings
– Smart player who bats balls down at the LOS when he can’t get to the quarterback
– Asset on special teams, on field goal team and capable of getting blocks
– Productive player who racked up good numbers

The Bad

– Will struggle against some power/gap schemes against the run, needs to keep shoulders square, eyes on the football, and will get turned out and washed
– Won’t have much success against double-teams maintaining his gap
– Occasionally loses his run fit
– Not an elite athlete
– Sometimes jumps the snap too early, gets overaggressive, and prone to going offsides
– Didn’t put up gaudy sack numbers in any one season

Bio

– Two-year starter for Boston College (26 in career)
– Career: 199 tackles (40.5 TFL), 16.5 TFL, 14 pass deflections, 2 INTs
– 2018: 61 tackles (15 TFL), 7 pass deflections, 6.5 sacks
– Recorded 100 tackles as a junior
– Single-season high of 6.5 sacks, had just four in 2017
– Named Connecticut Gatorade Player of the Year as a senior in high school
– 33 career sacks in HS
– Also played basketball and named a National Scholar Athlete

Tape Breakdown

Allen is one of those players where you almost wished the Steelers had a glaring need along the defensive line. I will admit I don’t think he’s an ideal scheme fit in Pittsburgh, we’ll get to that, but he’s an excellent prospect I’m really excited to talk about.

The best thing I like about Allen is his hand use. Very advanced, very refined, very positive across the board. See it in run and pass. Watch him rip through this block by the left guard in the run game. Makes the tackle.

giphy.gif

And his rip move here versus the right tackle, his favorite to win the edge against tackles. Forces the QB to climb and escape.

giphy.gif

And how he sets up the Temple left tackle. Inside move and then works the outside. That’s attacking the linemen half-man. Attacking part of his body so it’s easier to get around him than trying to go down the middle.

giphy.gif

When he gets his chance, the dude finishes plays. Check out the effort here. Pokes the ball out.

giphy.gif

The issues I see didn’t pop up often. Like I wrote in the “Bad” section, his run defense needs some work. Can get stuck on blocks, get washed, moved around and lose his run fit a little easier than he should. Struggles more against power/gap schemes than zone. Against zone, he can flow, stay ahead of the linemen reaching, and use his hands to shed and rip the gap. Not as successful versus man schemes.

giphy.gif

I did have to watch more of him than the typical prospect I study. While the tape I saw were very good, it came with a caveat. He faced some baaaaad, inexperienced tackles. Versus Temple, the right tackle he saw most of the time was a true freshman. Against Florida State, the right tackle – eventually benched – was a sophomore who hadn’t played the previous two years. But he showed success on both sides in each of those games and I saw enough of his tape overall to be encouraged by his play translating, rather than a senior just going around bullying some freshmen.

One draft guy on Twitter loosely compared him to J.J. Watt and I get that. A poor man’s version, no doubt, but I can see the similarities. Watt had an amazing three cone time, 6.88, and I think Allen can break the seven second mark. More realistically, because I doubt Allen ever becomes a 15+ sack guy like Watt, I see the next Carlos Dunlap. Good, not great pass rusher, but a very good player. Best fit is the strongside end in a 4-3 scheme. Complimentary pass rusher and well-rounded game. If this was 10 years ago and 3-4 teams like Pittsburgh played a lot of base and actual five technique, the latter rarely happens today, I’d like Allen in that scheme. But since the DEs wind up playing one and three tech, where they’re facing double-teams and have a lot to deal with against the run, Allen isn’t an ideal fit.

I’m not 100% sure if he’ll go round one but he should. In my book, at least.

Projection: Late Day 1-Early Day 2

Games Watched: vs Virginia Tech (2017), vs Temple, at NC State, at Florida State, vs Syracuse