Post Game Tweets: Fisher-"We kept things very, very basic on Defense"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas @jthom1

Fisher says WR Kenny Britt has a stinger; not a concern.

Jeff Fisher says RB Isaiah Pead probably out for season with ACL injury in knee.

Michael Sam registers fourth-quarter sack for Rams.

Nick Wagoner @nwagoner

DE Michael Sam said he was more comfortable this week after getting some nerves out last week. Mentioned amount of work still to be done.

Also, QB Sam Bradford says he didn't say "I'm back" to sideline after TD pass. Said there's a saying QBs have he yelled to guys over there.

Other than Pead's ACL injury, Fisher indicated no other substantial injuries in this one.

Jeff Fisher said he wanted defense to "just go out and play." Kept emphasizing how basic Rams were on defense.

WR Kenny Britt says he did have stinger but it wore off. Sounds like he'll be OK.

Fisher said WR Kenny Britt had a stinger in shoulder. Didn't seem too concerned about it.

Jeff Fisher says belief is that RB Isaiah Pead suffered torn ACL and will be lost for season.

Rams drop this one to Green Bay 21-7. Fall to 0-2 in the preseason. Back with more after locker room.

Long day for OT Sean Hooey. Putting it mildly.

St. Louis Rams @STLouisRams

Fisher on @Bquick_SC's big play: "Sam anticipated well, put it up in the air and gave Brian the chance to make the play." #GBvsSTL

Fisher on the #Rams run game: "We were hoping for more." #GBvsSTL

Fisher: "It appears that we've lost Isaiah [Pead] with an ACL." #GBvsSTL

Fisher: "We kept things very, very basic on defense." #GBvsSTL

Jeff Fisher: "For anybody who had questions about Sam's [Bradford] physical condition, I think he answered them today." #GBvsSTL

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I hope so as they stunk against the run and the pass as well for the most part.

What happened to Gaines?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Honestly, the defense did look very very basic.. there really wasn't much going on scheme wise.

Basic sets that basically had no wiggle after the ball was snapped. What you saw was what you got, easy day for the best QB in the league.

Those short passes are scary, though.

FRO

Legend
This was the saying last year in preseason. Then the regular season started and they looked as bad as they did in the preseason. I'm a bit more skeptical this year. Our defense has to be a top 10 unit for us to make the playoffs.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't really know what many of you are talking about in regards to the "he said the same thing last year."

We didn't ever play like that on defense during the regular season. We were way more aggressive, we schemed against opponents.
They mostly stayed in a cover two against the best QB in the league, who ran a non stop no huddle the whole time.
Were we supposed to be able to stop GBs awesome offense that way? Basically playing defense with their hands tied behind their backs...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Honestly, the defense did look very very basic.. there really wasn't much going on scheme wise.
Exactly. I've watched several other teams in the preseason. There was very little shifting, blitzing, disguising....and as a result very little play making. I'm not concerned over our defense(who is missing key guys) getting beat at this point. It's going to look very different week one.

jap

Legend
I don't know what posters are fretting about. The Horns are simply not going to exposed anything exotic on offense, defense, or special teams until Game One. Plain vanilla all the way. We are giving rookies and other young players NFL experience, helping veterans get back in the groove and find their rhythm, letting formerly injured players test their limitations. We are not trying to go 4-0 or probably even attempt to win any games in pre-season. Winning pre-season games are for losing teams who want to boost their morale and excite their fan base. We don't need that.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Exactly. I've watched several other teams in the preseason. There was very little shifting, blitzing, disguising....and as a result very little play making. I'm not concerned over our defense(who is missing key guys) getting beat at this point. It's going to look very different week one.

Must admit, I'm a bit concerned. But, only because I would like the team not to have totally rely upon scheming to be successful. And since players can get hurt during the season, I'd like to see the next man step up now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't know what posters are fretting about. The Horns are simply not going to exposed anything exotic on offense, defense, or special teams until Game One. Plain vanilla all the way.

While I agree with you, the counter argument is;

Their vanilla beat our vanilla 21-7.

Their vanilla; 386 total yds. Our vanilla; 216 total yds

Their vanilla; 7 sacks. Our vanilla; 3 sacks

Their vanilla; 125yds rushing. Our vanilla; 78yds rushing

Unless of course we believe they "showed more" and didn't actually go vanilla. Otherwise, they beat us straight up solidly.

stlramscar

UDFA
Vanilla scheme or not, you're still suppose to line up and beat the man in front of you,and the rams got smacked in the mouth by GB

Philly5

Rookie
This was the saying last year in preseason. Then the regular season started and they looked as bad as they did in the preseason. I'm a bit more skeptical this year. Our defense has to be a top 10 unit for us to make the playoffs.

Agree 100%. The Fisher 'light switch' approach to the regular season didn't work last year.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Hope Peads injury gets Watts a job, his dad is an all time favorite of mine and he shows some ability,vision like his dad had.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Vanilla scheme or not, you're still suppose to line up and beat the man in front of you,and the rams got smacked in the mouth by GB

I'm not worried. The core of the Rams is running the ball / stopping the run. But...
  • they were missing Saffold / Long, which means they started Joseph / Person? at G, ie no push in the middle, Robinson still raw at LT. Add Long and Saffold back, move Robinson back to LG... that'll look better.
  • while we had Langford back, still missing Brockers and Laurinaitis.
Those 4 are not just starters, but key difference makers for the areas where the Rams were clearly weak yesterday.