Poll: who do you predict will be Rams starting OG on opening day?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

On the other side of Edwards, who will be Rams starting OG on opening day

• Bobby Evans

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Coleman Shelton

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Logan Bruss

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • Tremayne Anchrum

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
David Edwards has one OG spot locked down.

So who do you predict will win the other OG spot, and be the starter on opening day 2022?

IMHO Evans has been streaky and unreliable, and seemed to perform better at T than G.

I'd think Bruss as a rookie would be a long shot (but a clear favorite to start in 2023).

So I'm thinking it's between Shelton and Anchrum. I'm going with Shelton.

Who you got?!?!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
David Edwards has one OG spot locked down.

So who do you predict will win the other OG spot, and be the starter on opening day 2022?

IMHO Evans has been streaky and unreliable, and seemed to perform better at T than G.

I'd think Bruss as a rookie would be a long shot (but a clear favorite to start in 2023).

So I'm thinking it's between Shelton and Anchrum. I'm going with Shelton.

Who you got?!?!

Probably won't happen, but what I'd like to see is :

LT) Noteboom, Jackson
LG) Shelton, Anchrum, Edwards
C) Allen, Shelton, draft pick
RG) Bruss, Brewer, Anchrum
RT) Havenstein, Edwards

We lose Edwards to free agency after the season if he isn't locked in at RT2 imo.

oldnotdead

Legend
I don't see Edwards as a lock. He was the worst of all the OL. They didn't give Shelton a 2 year prove-it deal to be a backup.

Sheton LG
Bruss RG

I see Alaric Jackson as the swing OT

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Voted Anchrum but wouldn't be upset in the least if it was Bruss. I think he'll have every shot and likely could win it but he could also be LG next year after a year on the bench and in the weight room. Either way love the pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Demby in a landslide.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Am I the only person who really likes Edwards? He gets nowhere near enough credit.

I liked Brian Allen last year so I'm quite happy going against the grain.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Am I the only person who really likes Edwards? He gets nowhere near enough credit.

I like him, but more as a potential RT who can swing as an OG. I fear we'll lose him to free agency following this season if he doesn't get a shot at what may be his best position, RT.
jmo.

jjab360

Legend

No you're not the only one, I don't know why people seem so ready to turn on him. Same thing with Havenstein. Those guys are both really solid at their positions, not superstars but key parts of a cohesive, stable offensive line.

If Bruss is cut from the same Wisconsin mold we're set on the OL next year and for the long term if we get Edwards extended.

jjab360

Legend
I like him, but more as a potential RT who can swing as an OG. I fear we'll lose him to free agency following this season if he doesn't get a shot at what may be his best position, RT.
jmo.
Why have I seen this so much lately? He's played OG consistently since he got here and that was the position he was projected to play coming out of college due to his frame and skillset. Havenstein is our best fit at RT and Edwards is best fit at LG why fix something that isn't broken?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Anchrum. People forget how good he was a couple of years ago. Second choice is Shelton. I think Bruss and Pircher (Don’t forget about Pircher; he’s apparently cross-training at guard and center as well as both tackle spots.) will likely be key backups. And I suppose Evans could resurrect his career like Allen and Noteboom did.

dang

Legend
All I know is I expect the Rams to institute a better run game. There was a lot of Rams RBs being met in the backfield last year that needs to be cleaned up. Bruss seems to be a step in the right direction.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Why have I seen this so much lately? He's played OG consistently since he got here and that was the position he was projected to play coming out of college due to his frame and skillset. Havenstein is our best fit at RT and Edwards is best fit at LG why fix something that isn't broken?

You may or may not be thinking of Evans when you say he was projected to play OG, although he did play RT as a rookie and it went pretty well of awhile, then everything kind of fell apart for him. Edwards, at least from everything I've read, is shown to have been projected at RT, the same position he played at Wisconsin, similar to Havenstein. You may like Edwards at OG, he came in due to an OL emergency and stepped up under desperate conditions, and as well as the OL has played as a whole recently, Edwards has been thought to have become the weakest link on that line since the departure of Blythe, although I'll grant you, not to that level. I'm guessing that Edwards will return to LG because the Rams don't normally like to make these kind of changes where it appears someone is getting demoted, and just maybe he shows improvement after another off-season of training. As I've mentioned before, my fear for Edwards is that we may lose him to free agency if he actually feels that RT is his better position, we'll just have to see how the remainder of the 2022 draft plays out & how the 2023 draft proceeds for the OL, whether a cheaper draft alternative emerges as Edwards enters free agency, but as it stands, he's no sure-thing for an extension imo.
jmo.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would have been more excited about a sexier pick, but offensive line was the right choice for this super bowl team.

nighttrain

Legend
You may or may not be thinking of Evans when you say he was projected to play OG, although he did play RT as a rookie and it went pretty well of awhile, then everything kind of fell apart for him. Edwards, at least from everything I've read, is shown to have been projected at RT, the same position he played at Wisconsin, similar to Havenstein. You may like Edwards at OG, he came in due to an OL emergency and stepped up under desperate conditions, and as well as the OL has played as a whole recently, Edwards has been thought to have become the weakest link on that line since the departure of Blythe, although I'll grant you, not to that level. I'm guessing that Edwards will return to LG because the Rams don't normally like to make these kind of changes where it appears someone is getting demoted, and just maybe he shows improvement after another off-season of training. As I've mentioned before, my fear for Edwards is that we may lose him to free agency if he actually feels that RT is his better position, we'll just have to see how the remainder of the 2022 draft plays out & how the 2023 draft proceeds for the OL, whether a cheaper draft alternative emerges as Edwards enters free agency, but as it stands, he's no sure-thing for an extension imo.
jmo.
Could it be time to trade Havenstein? Make Edwards the right tackle, his best position in college.

Guess it would depend on if their is a market for Havenstein.

train

jjab360

Legend
jmo.
I'm not thinking of Evans. I thought right when he was drafted that Edwards had the more potential at OG between the two despite going in a lower round and he proved it as soon as the pads went on when they were rookies.

When he was drafted Edwards had the prototype frame and fundamentals that our coaches have looked for in their OGs and was dinged a bit on his kick-step, lateral agility, outside hand strength, and recovery against speed rushers, all issues which could be mitigated on the interior. Very similar to Bruss actually who played RT for most of his career but is almost certain to also make the move to the interior.

Also going back and looking at the games, I'm not seeing what others saw with Edwards last year. I think he struggled in some of the more physical midseason games against Tenn and SF but the entire OL did tbh and they recovered and improved as the season went on.

There's a reason why McVay joked about having an all Wisconsin OL when it's all said and done, I think the coaching staff has much more trust in him than some around here seem to. He's not a superstar, but like Havenstein he's steady and reliable. Those type of guys tend to stick around for a while.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Could it be time to trade Havenstein? Make Edwards the right tackle, his best position in college.

Guess it would depend on if their is a market for Havenstein.

train

I'm sure there would be an active market if the Rams wanted to move him at this time, but I'm not seeing it just yet as the team is already somewhat disrupted with the losses of Whitworth & Corbett. I thought that Havenstein might have been a candidate for extension earlier, bringing some CAP savings, ... and RT is still a position with no obvious reserve back-up set in stone, although there are several guys who might vie for the position like Edwards, Evans, Pircher & Brewer. Anchrum is undersized for OT, but he successfully stood out during last years pre-season games. Edwards, Evans & Brewer are scheduled to enter free agency in 2023, so at this time they are no real threat to Havenstein's starting job, we might get a better feel for what the future holds in store at RT as the next two drafts play-out and how the competition plays this pre-season.
jmo.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
I'm sure there would be an active market if the Rams wanted to move him at this time, but I'm not seeing it just yet as the team is already somewhat disrupted with the losses of Whitworth & Corbett. I thought that Havenstein might have been a candidate for extension earlier, bringing some CAP savings, ... and RT is still a position with no obvious reserve back-up set in stone, although there are several guys who might vie for the position like Edwards, Evans, Pircher & Brewer. Anchrum is undersized for OT, but he successfully stood out during last years pre-season games. Edwards, Evans & Brewer are scheduled to enter free agency in 2023, so at this time they are no real threat to Havensten's starting job, we might get a better feel for what the future holds in store at RT as the next two drafts play-out and how the competition plays this pre-season.
jmo.
Trading Havenstein isn't going to and shouldn't happen but Alaric Jackson has gotten the looks and impressed so far as a swing tackle over all those other guys you mentioned atm