Poll: Post Gurley RB strategy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Use of RB's Going Forward

• Use and abuse Akers and look to trade him after three years as the bell-cow RB

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • Nah man, if Akers does good, we should preserve him and get ready for that 2nd contract

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Doesn't matter. Only get RB's after round three cuz RB by committee is the only way.

Votes: 8 15.1%

• Total voters

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We all loved watching Todd out there, tearing it up. The new contract we gave Todd was a mistake, as much as I agreed with it at the time. It was because of that contract and the fear of being wrong about giving it to Todd, probably made McSnead baby Todd's injury/non-injury during the year. This is no way to be when when coming down the stretch of last season. Being worried about your star back getting injured is stinkin' thinkin,' in my opinion. We should have pounded the ball with Gurley, and if he broke doing that, then so be it.

We all hear it as a cautionary tale...Running back by committee, they say. I think Cam Akers is a bell-cow back. I also am looking at him as a one contract player. We should use and abuse him, and maybe trade him regardless after 3 years. Hopefully he has great numbers and we could get draft capital for him.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
As Parcells would say. Its father time not carries that age RBS. So use them up when you can.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Was the 2nd Contract worth it?
Todd Gurley = No
SJAX = Yes
Marshall Faulk = Yes (our first after Indy's)
Jerome Bettis = Yes, for the Stillers, but not for us.
Eric Dickerson = Yes, for the Colts (and for us if Shaw wasn't such a cheap bastid).

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
RBC worked for the 9ers but their scheme is run first and I think they got lucky with the amount of rb talent they had. I expect this year to be the Mosert show after trading Breida.

But the Titans were RBC until they realized it's best to give Henry more than 10-12 touches a game.

I honestly don't know what's best.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Planning, flv, PLANNING! You don't want to get seduced by 2200 yards rushing by Akers after year three! Cuz you know that hammy is tight as a piano wire in year four or five! You Bournemouth Sport's Bookies, I tell ya....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I prefer the RBC approach.

Use them to create mismatches... keeps a high wear-and-tear position fresh.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Todd really was that valuable in our offense. That game against Tennessee where he had almost 300 yards from scrimmage. Could've and probably should've been MVP of the league in 2017. In that context it made total sense to lock him up. He was our best player on that side of the ball.

I kind of doubt we'll be in that situation with another RB for a while. Hopefully three years from now Jared is carrying enough of the offense on his arm and playing consistently enough that we won't be that dependent on one player carrying so much of the load at RB.

If Akers turns out to be a star, great, treat him fairly.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The poll options are too leading for me to vote. How about hope Akers is good and use him like a regular rb?

jap

Legend
Nobody wants to use Cam like we used the Gurley Express!: Gurley right, Gurley left. Gurley straight ahead, Gurley underneath, Gurley over the top - Touchdown, LA!!!

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Most superstar RB's don't have degenerative knee issues at age 25. Go with the hot hand, whether that's Akers, Henderson, etc.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

It’s a four year deal.

The big mistake with Todd Gurley was to at least wait until year 4 & rework his contract during the option season.
It ends up the Steelers played it some what smart with Bell? Maybe not,but no one around here talks about how that was going down.

Look at the Raiders & K.Mack to Da Bears.That whole thing was about him or Aaron Donald getting paid the most.
Gurley & Donald are a different bred than each other. Donald has such a freakish work ethic no matter what.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Most superstar RB's don't have degenerative knee issues at age 25. Go with the hot hand, whether that's Akers, Henderson, etc.

Well look at his college career. I was not a fan of Todd Gurley being the number 10 pick overall.
KC in 2020 had the last pick & drafted the first RB overall.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Planning, flv, PLANNING! You don't want to get seduced by 2200 yards rushing by Akers after year three! Cuz you know that hammy is tight as a piano wire in year four or five! You Bournemouth Sport's Bookies, I tell ya....

That was Isaac Bruuuce’s thing early,but did well late.Yes different position.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly
Gurley's contract/career has no corelation to Akers.
RBC is a myth IMO.
If you have an RB1, you dont have RBC

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well look at his college career. I was not a fan of Todd Gurley being the number 10 pick overall.
KC in 2020 had the last pick & drafted the first RB overall.
Adrian Peterson had all sorts of injuries in college, but still was a work horse, and Frank Gore tore his ACL TWICE in college and is still playing in his early 40's

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Adrian Peterson had all sorts of injuries in college, but still was a work horse, and Frank Gore tore his ACL TWICE in college and is still playing in his early 40's

Yep but at what price ? Peterson also took a switch to his son as well.

What’s going to happen with Gurley ?? My point is the value & risk. I didn’t know what Todd Gurley’s knee looks like. I just know what I saw when he got injured & what was said about the injury at the time.
Who was the RB from South Carolina who came back for his senior
& hurt his knee again ? He was drafted by the 8ers.

Anyway Akers is a young back with a 4 year contract. He has to establish himself as a rookie RB. Time will tell,but hopefully McSnead puts value in the RB depth no matter who is back there.