Please, no

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/indianapolis-colts-propose-bonkers-nfl-192434075.html

The Indianapolis Colts propose a bonkers new NFL rule that would invent a 9-point touchdown

By Tony Manfred 56 minutes ago
The_Indianapolis_Colts_propose_a-93a592d03c57a00abbcabf13fbd7a6fe
(Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images)The NFL released the proposed rule changes that will be discussed at next week's competition committee meeting.
They're all relatively minor, except for one: the Indianapolis Colts want to make it possible for a team to score nine points on one possession.
Under their proposal, a team would be able to attempt a 50-yard kick for an extra point after they successfully converted a two-point conversion.
The idea is to incentive teams to go for two more often, according to Fox Sports' Pete Schrager. In theory, it would fundamentally change the calculus of the game, and increase the number of points possible from a single possession.
The Colts want to experiment with the scoring system change in the preseason, according to the NFL. It's important to note that the competition committee is only going to discuss this change. The odds of it actually happening are, more than likely, very low.
Right now NFL teams kick the extra point an overwhelming majority of the time, despite mathematical evidence that they should be going for two far more often than they are. Would the possibility of getting three points encourage more teams to go for two?
The expected value of the current extra point is 0.996 points (since NFL kickers make ~99.6% of extra points).
The expected value of going for two is 0.998 points (since NFL teams historically convert 49.9% of two-point attempts).
NFL kickers have made 63.3% of 50-yard field goals over the last five seasons. That means the expected value of an extra point from midfield is around 0.63 points. Since you only have a 49.9% chance of even attempting that midfield extra point because you have to convert the two-point conversion first under the Colts' proposal, its added expected value is closer to 0.32 points.
So at the end of the day, the expected value of "going for three" would be around 1.32 points, while the expected value of just kicking the extra point is still 0.996 points. NFL teams are notoriously conservative, would that be enough to make them go for two more often?
We'd be shocked if it actually happened. We'd still love to see it for pure entertainment value, though.

So - teams should actually go for two points every time.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Would a team successfully executing the two-point conversion be able to opt out of the ensuing kick, in favor of going for a second two-point conversion? And if they made the second conversion, would they get yet another kick, which, if they chose, they could defer in favor of another conversion, and another, and another?
So we're down 49-0 in the 4th quarter, 5 seconds on the clock and no timeouts...
KKC8tFH.gif

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, someone's got to play Devils advocate.

I think it's not such a bad idea. I think an idea that keeps teams in the game is a good idea.

Now, a 21pt lead is def a 3 TD lead. Now it could be a 2 TD and FG.

I dunno. My reaction wasn't as out there as everyone else's.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think we should put a bunch of numbers in a hat and after you score a TD you pick from the hat. That's your score.
Why the fuck do we have to keep changing the rules every year?

Big Game

Living The Dream
Stupid Rule. why do they feel the need to try to change the game so much :(:mad:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well, someone's got to play Devils advocate.

I think it's not such a bad idea. I think an idea that keeps teams in the game is a good idea.

Now, a 21pt lead is def a 3 TD lead. Now it could be a 2 TD and FG.

I dunno. My reaction wasn't as out there as everyone else's.
Yeah my initial reaction was neg. but after some thought I think it's not entirely indefensible

beej

Rookie
I kind of like the idea except they should not worry about pts. If he makes it after a 2pt conversion all home team fans get a free brat and beer. C'MON make it happen.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Would a team successfully executing the two-point conversion be able to opt out of the ensuing kick, in favor of going for a second two-point conversion? And if they made the second conversion, would they get yet another kick, which, if they chose, they could defer in favor of another conversion, and another, and another?
LOL, that made me think of a game show ...
220px-Wheel_of_Fortune_Round_1_template_Season_31.png

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Here's the guy who proposed this idea :

dumb-tattoo4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Here's the guy who proposed this idea :

dumb-tattoo4.jpeg
Wow, the balls on THAT guy!

Personally, I think that's awesome if it's real. That said, welcome to perpetual unemployment, dude.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Wow, the balls on THAT guy!

Personally, I think that's awesome if it's real. That said, welcome to perpetual unemployment, dude.

Or get a job that requires a full time hat.