Pick #57 - Rams select WR Tutu Atwell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
maybe it is a fuck you to Snead. They can't possibly always agree. Maybe this one really is a sore subject. Just a WAG
It isn't like McVay isn't a stubborn ass sometimes. 11personel even when his left tackle really fucking sucks and his back up wr can't block. We have seen it in Cincy and now in AZ. He is very stubborn.
I was hoping he would stick with the Lions gameplan after we couldn't protect he went to a short drop and quick releases. Really strange we haven't gone back to that when we have shown the inability to keep Stafford clean

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
How you like me now?
La Rams Football GIF by Los Angeles Rams

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Great showing by Tutu today! I still am not a huge fan. Too many bobbled catches and dropped passes. But he can definitely be a useful piece and adds a lot of speed to this offense. His numbers when targeted are actually pretty insane for the disrespect he gets. Let's hope he can keep it going!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If he keeps it up and gets re-signed to a long-term contract, I may even one day refer to him by his nickname.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One game, he's got a season to prove himself. Thankful for today. Although there are expectations that have not been close to being met.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Great showing by Tutu today! I still am not a huge fan. Too many bobbled catches and dropped passes. But he can definitely be a useful piece and adds a lot of speed to this offense. His numbers when targeted are actually pretty insane for the disrespect he gets. Let's hope he can keep it going!
I'd be interested to know just how many dropped passes he really has. A bobbled catch is still a catch. The one he bobbled & corralled, I could tell MS threw it slightly behind him.
Cooks? DJax?? i've seen them bobble / drop their fair share of catches when they were with us. Who would you rather have shooting downfield for you? #5, Cooks, or DJax? my money's on Tutu, he's reliable enough to be a good option as your deep-speed receiver, and makes good adjustments to the ball.
He's still a willing blocker, which McVay requires, so his O scheme doesn't tip anything off depending on which WR's are at the LOS. Heck if anything, subbing him in for Puka or Kupp on some plays might actually make a draw play work pretty well. But I wouldn't use him for jet sweeps lol. JWhitt tho... but that's another thread...
Who else would you rather have? lemme ask... if it's a choice between #5 or Josh Reynolds? Von Jeff? who stays on the team?? who's got better hands? I'm thinking Tutu does.
With deep speed, decent hands, adjusts to the ball, draws flags, and is a willing blocker, what's not to like about this kid?

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan

This x 100! He's underused.

McVay actually owned up and said something similar and owned that it’s his fault Tutu hasn’t been utilized properly. Considering the amount of under throws throughout his career, mostly due to not being a focal point of the offense, he is still almost at 60% of targets were catches. I anticipate actually building a rapport with Staff will drastically increase these numbers. Year 3 is the prove it year, and I believe he will rise to the occasion.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I'd be interested to know just how many dropped passes he really has.
The sample size is too small since this year is still early so I looked at the drop % for 2023 numbers.

In 2023, there were 70 WRs that had as many snaps/targets or more than Tutu. He's ranked 49/70 in Drop % at 7.1%.
Kupp was ranked 54/70 with a Drop % of 7.8%.
Puka was ranked 65/70 with a Drop % of 11.0%.
(DRob had a 0.00% Drop % on 39 targets last year.)

Tutu isn't above average in Drop % but it's a myth to suggest that drops are a problem. He was better in that category than our two best receivers.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
McVay actually owned up and said something similar and owned that it’s his fault Tutu hasn’t been utilized properly. Considering the amount of under throws throughout his career, mostly due to not being a focal point of the offense, he is still almost at 60% of targets were catches. I anticipate actually building a rapport with Staff will drastically increase these numbers. Year 3 is the prove it year, and I believe he will rise to the occasion.
The rapport, or lack thereof, is such a good point. As many deep catches as Tutu has had, I don't think we've seen one where Stafford didn't underthrow him. I don't think Stafford has adjusted to his speed yet. Their timing is still not great.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have never got it.
We drafted him to do what he does.
He does what he does.
If we don't use him, the issue isn't the player or the pick but the plan/process by coaching staff.
(Wow. that was a lot of p-words.)

Hopefully that's not an ongoing thing but it probably will be.

Speaking of P-words. You know 49er fans won't mind if we forget about him again

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The rapport, or lack thereof, is such a good point. As many deep catches as Tutu has had, I don't think we've seen one where Stafford didn't underthrow him. I don't think Stafford has adjusted to his speed yet. Their timing is still not great.
What I was thinking. I keep looking at his catches and thinking "if only Staff had led him instead of TuTu having to slow down and wait for the ball."

I think I've only seen maybe one or two of his catches where he was hit in stride. At least one of them was a TD.

In Stafford's defense, a couple seem to have been where TuTu goes down after the catch in an effort to make sure he catches the ball. Hard to fault either player for that.

As to the drops/bobbles comments, TuTu IMO makes some amazing catches. Catches I'm not sure many receivers make given the space between ball and defender. He also seems to have a MUCH bigger catch radius than his size would dictate.