Pick #233 - Rams select RB Jake Funk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
621c599d-fc08-4aa3-837b-e22426a87ea0

5'10"

Overview
Funk's tape as a running back is somewhat average, but his high-level testing (SEE: 40 in the 4.4s, 38-inch vertical leap, 10-foot-2 broad jump) and talent as a special teams cover demon make him worthy of consideration. He's well-built and plays with pretty good power when the ball is in his hands. He has shifty traits and measurables, but his running style is a little more straightforward. He has more build-up speed than instant burst, which might make him a better off-tackle and outside runner (in plays where he can have a runway to take off). His special teams prowess will be strongly considered, but he also appears to have a potential future as a third-down option. Two ACL tears in the same knee will cause hesitance for some teams, but it wouldn't be surprising to see him make a roster.

Strengths
  • Explosive testing at Maryland pro day opened some eyes.
  • Racked up impressive tackle totals on coverage teams.
  • Muscular with dense trunk.
  • Bends and drives through contact to fall forward.
  • Build-up speed can pull away from defenders.
  • Plus separation burst out of routes.
  • Displays good catch focus.
Weaknesses
  • Suffered two torn ACL injuries on the same knee (2018 and '19).
  • Needs to improve pass-protection technique.
  • Wiggle after the catch is just average.
  • Not as much burst through the line as expected.
  • Inconsistent access to sudden-cut quickness along interior.
  • Would like to see better feel for run-lane development.
  • Not overly creative in gaining his own yardage.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Special teams matters! Goddammit!

Kid sounds like he will work his ass off to make it on special teams

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
OK - I am probably crazy for asking this BUT can Jake Funk be a “Poor Man’s” version of the Carolina’s Christian McCaffrey for the Rams? I know he won’t be near the workhorse for the Rams since they have Cam Akers but he does seem to have some of the same qualities (To a leaser extent) of McCaffrey. Probably just wishful thinking on my part!!!

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If it wasn't for those ACL's, he would have been drafted much, MUCH higher. How can you not root for this kid? Good luck, Funk.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
OK - I am probably crazy for asking this BUT can Jake Funk be a “Poor Man’s” version of the Carolina’s Christian McCaffrey for the Rams? I know he won’t be near the workhorse for the Rams since they have Cam Akers but he does seem to have some of the same qualities (To a leaser extent) of McCaffrey. Probably just wishful thinking on my part!!!
He has that level of speed. Injuries are the ONLY concern of mine with Funk. Mel pretty well nailed it with his points about him. Barring injury, this kid will make an NFL roster.

On a side note, he went to the same high school as my wife, lol. My sister in law knows him and his family. I saw him absolutely dominate our neighborhood HS team some years ago in a playoff game. Went to the game to watch my good friends son play and he got trucked by the Funk, haha.

Between him and Havenstien, the Rams have two players that grew up 20 miles or less from me..... In Maryland of all places.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
His special teams prowess will be strongly considered, but he also appears to have a potential future as a third-down option.

Could take the Malcomb Brown snaps?

Sounds like a dog on a bone type.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Needs to make the team for his name alone

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I can't stand this pick for so many reasons and most of it has nothing to do with Jake Funk, but unless he's the second coming of Norwood Van (special teams) I believe Funk will be cut. Really what does he offer besides a feel good story and Maryland with those ludicrous helmets doesn't make it any better.

Remember when the Rams drafted Sam Rogers from Virginia Tech? Everybody loved him and he was the first one out of the locker room and the first one cut. Funk IMO, offers the same and I just don't get the selection....I will be the first to post it...Funk----

Last edited by a moderator:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
In fairness after destroying the kid in my previous post, this was his pro day....Funk shared his stats from his pro day which included a 4.43 40-yard dash, a 38-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot, 2-inch board jump and 22 reps of 225 pounds in the bench press.

That's not bad, but sorry I would have drafted Jonathan Cooper from Ohio State instead of Funk, but that's just me.

Hram

UDFA
Put him on the practice squad (or possibly activate for special teams if he looks that good) and see if you can heal him up this coming year. If you can, he’s on the team for the next 3.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I can't stand this pick for so many reasons and most of it has nothing to do with Jake Funk, but unless he's the second coming of Norwood Van (special teams) I believe Funk will be cut. Really what does he offer besides a feel good story and Maryland with those ludicrous helmets doesn't make it any better.

Remember when the Rams drafted Sam Rogers from Virginia Tech? Everybody loved him and he was the first one out of the locker room and the first one cut. Funk IMO, offers the same and I just don't get the selection....I will be the first to post it...Funk ------.
First of all, Maryland helmets are the best thing IN ALL of football. Second of all, why all the hate for a late round pick of a VERY talented, hard working kid? I am a Maryland fan and watched him destroy the Big 10 this year. Give him a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First of all, Maryland helmets are the best thing IN ALL of football. Second of all, why all the hate for a late round pick of a VERY talented, hard working kid? I am a Maryland fan and watched him destroy the Big 10 this year. Give him a chance.
Love the way he looks on the field. All the injuries to his legs for a RB are scary even without our recent history there. It's a late round roll of the dice. Likely could have gotten backs with less injury history though.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Fair enough we will see, but I like the helmets with "Terps" on them that Maryland Flag is just over the top IMHO and nobody outside the State knows what the hell it is.

1619972951205.png

1619973005599.png