Pick #141 - Rams select TE Jacob Harris

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I know we drafted him as a TE but I wouldn't be surprised to see McVay go back to using him like he used Sammy Watkins the one year he was here. He's not going to be a starter or on the field a ton but McVay loved using Watkins at the goal line on those tight, quick pass middle crossers and he was always the number 1 option there. I think the Rams really hoped Reynolds would turn into that guy but just never seemed to play physically for that role. Would go a long ways in helping our lackluster redzone offense since Gurley's decreased role.

I wouldn’t focus on promoting the soccer skill set. There is a much higher level of physicality in the NFL than MLS/Professional soccer. With that said the Rams have not had a red zone target since Sammy Watkins so it’s exciting to think they may be addressing that deficiency with Hopkins/Harris/Skowronek.
Right now I think Skowronek would be more experienced in the physical pass catching and blocking role. He has a chance to surprise people as a late pick.

I don't understand why they felt the need to call Harris a Tight End. He's definitely built like a big receiver. I could see him develop into the Golladay role over time. Stafford liked having that deep threat/jump ball target down field.

Psycho_X

Legend
I don't understand why they felt the need to call Harris a Tight End. He's definitely built like a big receiver. I could see him develop into the Golladay role over time. Stafford liked having that deep threat/jump ball target down field.

And that's probably the biggest reason for these two big guy picks... McVay said they would definitely incorporate things Stafford did from the Lions and if there is one thing Stafford did well in his career is throw to big guys down the field. It is basically his staple from Calvin Johnson all the way to Golladay. We definitely won't be living on the dink and dunk game anymore.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And that's probably the biggest reason for these two big guy picks... McVay said they would definitely incorporate things Stafford did from the Lions and if there is one thing Stafford did well in his career is throw to big guys down the field. It is basically his staple from Calvin Johnson all the way to Golladay. We definitely won't be living on the dink and dunk game anymore.
And in part why Tutu seems odd for that deep threat role. As you said, Stafford seems to like throwing those deep jump balls

Ram65

Legend
Amazing how McVay/Snead added both speed guys and height guys to the five eligibles. Harris is that rare combination of both speed and height. McVay called him a TE which is fine as he looks like he can add 20 lbs or so on his frame. He definitely will be a flex-type guy that could stay inside or outside with movement. He is a mismatch in the making.

If Hopkins works out well with Higbee, imagine a 12 Personnel set where Harris lines up as a WR in the red-zone. Towering inferno. :boom:

McVay can create height mismatches that he really has not had. This will be fun to watch as these young guys develop.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Right now I think Skowronek would be more experienced in the physical pass catching and blocking role. He has a chance to surprise people as a late pick.

I'm guessing it was a combo of his hard-nosed special teams play and one of his times being low. Forget if it was short shuttle or 3 cone but his size worked against him there. Hopkins didn't offer shit for teams and couldn't touch the field. Maybe they're thinking OK let's try it this way.

But I also think it's because they're pissed at Hopkins. They brought in two very similar guys who are advanced in the pass game (as rookie TEs go) with good size and athleticism for their size. Harris was outside a lot on his film, and looked comfortable out there but I think where he ends up will come down to how well he develops. If he's good enough I'd imagine they might just call him a WR at some point.

Oh and also both those guys they brought in are physical. Neither of these guys are the type you're gonna intimidate with a DB pressing and talking BS. They're gonna duke it out in the pattern and knock the guy on his ass in blocking at times too. Not sure Hopkins checks either of those boxes tbh.

Lastly it doesn't really matter though. With the eligibles it's all about who has that matchup you want. So we can get all wrapped around whether the guy is a TE or WR but when they face a slot who is very undersized or in certain redzone downs/distances maybe he's the guy you want in there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Amazing how McVay/Snead added both speed guys and height guys to the five eligibles. Harris is that rare combination of both speed and height. McVay called him a TE which is fine as he looks like he can add 20 lbs or so on his frame. He definitely will be a flex-type guy that could stay inside or outside with movement. He is a mismatch in the making.
Yeah I'm probably gonna regret talking myself into this but I feel like this guy might show us something year one. He's gonna be on the sidelines and available in games. He's tough.

I like Skow too btw. Big fan of guys who know how to use their size in the pattern and bring catch radius and contested ability.

It's not like we drafted crazy TE talent or anything but I'm still on cloud 9 with the additions. Our TE group was depressing lol. We are so overdue to hit on one of these guys it's crazy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Have we heard the Rams say Skowronek was going to be tried at TE?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No I haven't. Kind of assuming there.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
There is very little Mundt-Love on this Forum.

And yes, that's a thing.

If Skowronek comes out of the blocks as a serious blocker & Special Teams player this pre-season, he's likely an easy choice to make. Skow might be a late 7'th rounder, but i'd still fear losing him to a waiver wire or being plucked off our Practice Squad. jmo.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If Skowronek comes out of the blocks as a serious blocker & Special Teams player this pre-season, he's likely an easy choice to make. Skow might be a late 7'th rounder, but i'd still fear losing him to a waiver wire. jmo.
I like the Jacob Harris and Ben Showronek picks; and I am intrigued by their size and red-zone-potential.

Also realize that Harris is listed by the Rams as a TE, and Skowronek is over 220.

However, converting from WR to TE is not an easy transition; and Mundt fills an important role as a blocker in short-yardage.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I like the Jacob Harris and Ben Showronek picks; and I am intrigued by their size and red-zone-potential.

Also realize that Harris is listed by the Rams as a TE, and Skowronek is over 220.

However, converting from WR to TE is not an easy transition; and Mundt fills an important role as a blocker in short-yardage.

Mundt does fill an important role, although is he really up to that role, I question what his value is following that cut in salary he took. If Skowronek can match Mundt's fairly weak blocking attempts during the pre-season, I could see him overtaking Mundt on the depth chart, it's probably a long-shot this early, but I won't be shocked should it play out this way. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think Mundt was a lot better in 2019 than he was last season. His role is basically Higs' backup and he knows the offense better than any of these new guys will. So I expect him to make the roster.

But there's room for them to reload at TE too I think. If they plan on running a ton of 11 for example then Mundt's value dips quite a bit. And using Harris as an example if he's willing to get his hands dirty that is like 90% of the problem young TEs have coming into the NFL. He seems like a no-nonsense guy who will do that because of his teams' performance. So if the blocking dropoff is marginal to him from Mundt (who struggled there last season) I could see them cutting Mundt.

Really the problem for Harris is getting the offense down. If he's smart and learns it fast and doesn't make mistakes then the TE depth chart will get interesting really fast in camp. But if I had to lay odds on Mundt being cut they'd be longshot.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mundt is that player every team has. Fans don’t get why he gets snaps but the coaches love everything he does. We also don’t see the locker room and for all we know he’s the glue in the offensive meetings and locker room. He’s the opposite of the draft pick people dislike, fans don’t get why he’s here but we keep trotting him out.

oldnotdead

Legend
Hopkins better watch out because Harris checks all the boxes for a starting TE. Higbee is signed through the 2023 season. Drafting Hopkins and now Harris looks like the Rams are positioning themselves to have options in 2024. On paper Hopkins and now Harris look like a pretty good pair of TEs. Harris is faster than both Higbee and Harris with better length than Hopkins. Harris looks like their replacement for Everett while Hopkins might supplant Mundt on the roster. The Rams look 3 deep in pass catching TEs.

At first glance most people didn't like this draft. But once again Snead has quietly picked some very good talent. I think the trio of Tutu, Rochell and Harris will make this draft. That said they have also gotten Kiser's replacement in Jones, Sebas replacement with Bobby Brown, depth at OLB with Garrett and Earnest Brown, replaced Malcolm Brown with Funk who is faster and more elusive, and with Skowronek as the new Reynolds but faster with better hands.

People overlook Ben Skowronek the guy is 6'3", 224 lbs, and with long arms of 33.25". He dropped because he didn't run a 40 due to injury. But his 2020 GPS times done at Notre Dame put him in the 4.4-4.5 range which is fast for a man his size. He's a developmental player who IMO will probably make the team on STs and start getting rotational snaps next year. Remember Jackson is really here for one year so that will move the depth chart at WR next year.

This draft was much better than most people realize.

dang

Legend
It will be interesting to see what McVay has in store for Harris and Skowrenek. Hybrid WR/TE/FB?? Speedy TEs/Red Zone targets? High point WRs??? If either works out it will be another draft feather in his cap. If both work out he just reinvented The draft for WRs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopkins better watch out because Harris checks all the boxes for a starting TE. Higbee is signed through the 2023 season. Drafting Hopkins and now Harris looks like the Rams are positioning themselves to have options in 2024. On paper Hopkins and now Harris look like a pretty good pair of TEs. Harris is faster than both Higbee and Harris with better length than Hopkins. Harris looks like their replacement for Everett while Hopkins might supplant Mundt on the roster. The Rams look 3 deep in pass catching TEs.
Since Hopkins doesn't really impact special teams he'll need to win that starting job opposite Higs in their 12 set. If he doesn't get that gig yeah he will be in a serious fight for a roster spot.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Those two picks have really grown on me. For Harris though, if he wants to be a TE in the NFL, he needs to follow the following Rx:

1621306536774.png

1621306567561.png