Philosophy needs to change.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Picking FG kickers isn't always easy. They did have Dicker the KIcker and let him go. I think they still value FG kickers but, the money wasn't there this year.

Lbers with speed are valuable with the pass-happy NFL. They also need to be able to tackle.

Speed at Safety is also valuable.

Let's see what happens in the off-season. Look for improvements.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
The Ravens are likely going to let Patrick Queen walked because of all the money they paid Roquan Smith. I'd sign him in FA. He's young, he's extremely athletic and physical, and he is playing at a very high level. He absolutely was killing SF last week.
Would love this move, everytime I see the ravens, he’s always making plays or around he ball.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Hey I expected them to make the playoffs and said so months before the season. :)

QB, CB, OT, Edge and PK are their biggest needs.

The Rams have 3 pass rushers in Young, Turner and Donald with Hoecht providing a lot of push. Like I said it's a matter of Morris turning them loose. They need a PK more than an edge. Hampton is beginning to develop into a good OLB as is Hoecht. Before the draft many evaluators felt Desjuan Johnson should transition inside to ILB. Many said the same thing about Mathis as he plays inside gaps well.

What? No. That's not Johnson's actual weight (never count on the team bios for weight), nor his style of play. He's around 284/294 lbs. He's an interior lineman, preferably a backup to AD and Turner. He's a pass-rusher.

If anyone could be an inside linebacker, it's Hampton, but he's starting to show out at outside. Personally, I don't think we have an inside linebacker on this roster who starts, other than Ernest Jones (who should be re-signed).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree .... but we did draft a kicker a couple years ago...only lasted a couple of games though.

I think that the success in picking up Matt Gay gave us some confidence that we could find another gem. But we need a major kicking upgrade.

Also... I'd say rozenboom played better than I thought he would. But we ABSOLUTELY have to upgrade that ILB spot. I really thought one of the multiple UDFA ILBs we had in camp would stick but none made the team. I mean we made Littleton close to a pro bowler .... we had the #1 defense in the NFL with Micah Kiser and Kenny Young at ILB. It's not going to take reinventing the wheel to upgrade that spot, but we need to draft one this year
They drafted or signed a few faster linebackers but some didn’t stick. One was injured a lot, but he did catch the game winning Int that AD caused in the 2021 conference championship game. But any time you pick guys late, they always have drawbacks that keep them from having a big impact. I’m just tired of Rozeboom and Reeder etc… plus watching Hoecht in coverage.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I’m waiting to hear what’s going on with Alaric Jackson.

If whatever it is is a one-week thing… I’m moving forward with a plan to trade down aggressively in the next draft, if possible.

Give me enough picks that I can comfortably draft a linebacker in the 4th round and a kicker in the 5th.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think that's about right. I'd only add that I don't think they could have paid Gay if they wanted to. But they thought they could get by with rookie LS, K, and P. It was a gamble. Evans is a keeper ... but he needs a little work, too. He could be the next Hekker, I don't know but he's not there yet.
A gamble that paid off. The kid missed two PAT's today. Stafford missed 4 or 5 throws today. If we lost this game, the PATs are the obvious cause but would they have mattered if #9 had no misses, like he's done a few times the previous 6 weeks? The kid needs to calm his nerves or settle his mind or think of palm trees or whatever makes him feel good. I'm not giving up on him just yet because he's go a strong leg.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
They will definitely be looking for a kicker next year. They don't need a Justin Tucker type. Just someone you can feel confident with the kicks under 50 yards. The way it is now, they'll be better off going for it on 4th down if any field goal attempt is over 40 yards. No one expects them to go far in the playoffs. They're playing with house money. Why not be aggressive on 4th down?

As far as needed upgrades next year, the secondary needs improving. They get burned and make mistakes far too many times. Unless they think another season under their belts will help them be better next year, that is an area they need more talent.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I’m waiting to hear what’s going on with Alaric Jackson.

If whatever it is is a one-week thing… I’m moving forward with a plan to trade down aggressively in the next draft, if possible.

Give me enough picks that I can comfortably draft a linebacker in the 4th round and a kicker in the 5th.
I don't know what the personal reasons are. But if its something legit we probably woulda heard what it is. Like having a first baby. Or a close family member is sick or died. They don't normally keep those things quiet. When its hush hush that is concerning and raises a red flag with me. Left tackle is a position they need to address with more urgency next season.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
The Ravens are likely going to let Patrick Queen walked because of all the money they paid Roquan Smith. I'd sign him in FA. He's young, he's extremely athletic and physical, and he is playing at a very high level. He absolutely was killing SF last week.
Queen was a big reason why the Ravens beat the 49ers. His speed alongside Ernest Jones would really help against the Niners dink and dunk over the middle. Rams simply have no off ball linebacker with speed.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
What? No. That's not Johnson's actual weight (never count on the team bios for weight), nor his style of play. He's around 284/294 lbs. He's an interior lineman, preferably a backup to AD and Turner. He's a pass-rusher.

If anyone could be an inside linebacker, it's Hampton, but he's starting to show out at outside. Personally, I don't think we have an inside linebacker on this roster who starts, other than Ernest Jones (who should be re-signed).
I don't know what Johnson actually weighs but he's not an ILBer. Agree there, big time.

Hampton isn't either, and I know your not saying he is or will be, but that he's closer in size to an ILber ... but he'd strictly an edge, IMO.

Then again, a year ago I would have said Hoecht is not an OLBer/Edge. I'd have said he's a d-line. So never say never. But I don't think Hampton has every playing anything but edge --- juts based on researching him after Rams drafted him. I didn't know anything about him until then.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Queen was a big reason why the Ravens beat the 49ers. His speed alongside Ernest Jones would really help against the Niners dink and dunk over the middle. Rams simply have no off ball linebacker with speed.
I'd like to see him in our defense but locking him down in FA would require considerable money invested into ILB. Not sure the Rams would want to do that. It's like with safety, just one of those positions they seem to prefer addressing in the draft. But I wouldn't mind them doing that.

Just feels like CB is more likely. Or one of the positions the Rams seem to prioritize more.

WR is kind of the same. Of all the FAs this next year the one I like the most is probably Evans who is a wideout and it is unlikely the Rams pay him when they've got so much in Kupp. I think he'd step right in and our offense would kick serious ass but have to admit it's a longshot at best. But however they approach this thing I want a lot of effort put into defense. I prefer to have a top defense, nothing I hate more than seeing opponents drive on my team.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Agreed on MLB for next year. Can’t stand watching Reeder or Rozeboom trying to keep up with NFL players. Gotta believe K will be dealt with in the next couple of days. Theres got to be 0% confidence in Havrisik at this point. If the Rams are going to lose please let it be for anything other than frickin missed extra points.
I'll add Ernest Jones. Very inconsistent. He couldn't get off blocks in the run game today, and again in coverage way too slow to react...ie, the 2-pont conversion that the Giants botched with the incomplete throw to Barkley. Jones took forever to recognize the play to run and try and cover Barkley.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
They changed the philosophy on not valuing guards. I hope this season has them reconsidering how they view those other two positions.
I would word that differently. I don't believe they didn't value Guards. I believe they changed their philosophy on how they wanted to protect the QB and vary their Run Game attack. They valued it enough to draft Logan Bruss in the 3rd round (2021) ...they just changed to wanting a more stout player that could handle a bull rush and do more Duo (double teaming on the interior) blocking in the run game and they happened to prioritize it over other positions this past off season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would word that differently. I don't believe they didn't value Guards. I believe they changed their philosophy on how they wanted to protect the QB and vary their Run Game attack. They valued it enough to draft Logan Bruss in the 3rd round (2021) ...they just changed to wanting a more stout player that could handle a bull rush and do more Duo (double teaming on the interior) blocking in the run game and they happened to prioritize it over other positions this past off season.
They didn't draft any guards earlier than round three and they didn't bother to sign or keep any that they had. It didn't fit into their team build model. They put emphasis on the obvious. DT, WR, QB, Corner and Left tackle. Other positions took a back seat. It worked. But their q needs protection, just like the defense needs more speed.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
They didn't draft any guards earlier than round three and they didn't bother to sign or keep any that they had. It didn't fit into their team build model. They put emphasis on the obvious. DT, WR, QB, Corner and Left tackle. Other positions took a back seat. It worked. But their q needs protection, just like the defense needs more speed.
Drafting a guard that high did show a change to me... that they stopped trying to have their linemen all be able to play multiple positions.
I don't think they're *investing* that much differently in the line, as far as draft picks. This offseason will say a lot about what they thing is important right now. I believe having that interior line strong is a higher priority than ever for this team, with an older QB.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Question. Doesn't the special teams coach have a lot of input in drafting and picking kickers. If so, that would be another reason to find a better coach.
I bring this up because Fassel always had input and as pointed out in a recent post, always finds gold.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to see him in our defense but locking him down in FA would require considerable money invested into ILB. Not sure the Rams would want to do that. It's like with safety, just one of those positions they seem to prefer addressing in the draft. But I wouldn't mind them doing that.

Just feels like CB is more likely. Or one of the positions the Rams seem to prioritize more.

WR is kind of the same. Of all the FAs this next year the one I like the most is probably Evans who is a wideout and it is unlikely the Rams pay him when they've got so much in Kupp. I think he'd step right in and our offense would kick serious ass but have to admit it's a longshot at best. But however they approach this thing I want a lot of effort put into defense. I prefer to have a top defense, nothing I hate more than seeing opponents drive on my team.
The investment ties into who the DC will be in 2024 (?)

If Morris gets a HC job, as many believe, the next DC will hopefully be in place before the start of FA. I would personally love a beast at LB. We shall see.