Peyton Manning

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Manning lands on the PUP list in Indy! Ouch!

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
I still dont understand how he was affected so bad by the lockout. He really couldnt find ANYONE to look at his neck during the lockout???

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
JdashSTL said:
I still dont understand how he was affected so bad by the lockout. He really couldnt find ANYONE to look at his neck during the lockout???
I don't know the details, but remember the players didn't have access to team facilities, which includes the team trainers that knew him far better than someone he might hire in the interim. Very likely, this preference for dealing with who he was familiar with may have led Manning to delay the surgery, hoping the lockout wouldn't last too long. That has now backfired big time on the Colts.

Anonymous

Or the human body isn't a machine and shit happens no matter who you are.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I find it hard to believe that for an issue like this, Manning was waiting to be able to consult team doctors. These guys go out and hire their own doctors all the time. Certainly someone with the heritage of Peyton would be able to hire the best surgeon in the world to look at his neck during the lockout. Good thing the Colts will have $18 million wearing a baseball cap.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
RamFan503 said:
I find it hard to believe that for an issue like this, Manning was waiting to be able to consult team doctors. These guys go out and hire their own doctors all the time. Certainly someone with the heritage of Peyton would be able to hire the best surgeon in the world to look at his neck during the lockout. Good thing the Colts will have $18 million wearing a baseball cap.
So why did he wait? Can't be money. He knew he was looking at surgery, so it wasn't ignorance. He was a free agent in any case, but he didn't intend to sign anywhere else. Could he have thought there wouldn't be football this year?

Nothing really makes sense. I know there are people who don't like to go into major decisions with strangers, and Manning has always seemed to me to be a guy who prefers his routines. I wouldn't say this is right, but to me it just seems less wrong.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ram Quixote said:
RamFan503 said:
So why did he wait? Can't be money. He knew he was looking at surgery, so it wasn't ignorance. He was a free agent in any case, but he didn't intend to sign anywhere else. Could he have thought there wouldn't be football this year?

Nothing really makes sense. I know there are people who don't like to go into major decisions with strangers, and Manning has always seemed to me to be a guy who prefers his routines. I wouldn't say this is right, but to me it just seems less wrong.

Yeah - pretty much. I don't have any answers. Just glad it is them and not us.

RamsFan4Life

Starter
If what they have been saying for the last month or so is true..........

No how, no way Peyton Manning isn't under center on Sept. 11, 2011 at Houston

Then why do they sign RETIRED Kerry Collins and give him 4 million dollars to boot?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It took me a almost two years to get any core strength back after my neck surgery, but it was a lot more intrusive than his. They had to give me a cadaver's disk and then fuse it, to my other ones. My spinal cord was being impacted 85 %.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
RamsFan4Life said:

Then why do they sign RETIRED Kerry Collins and give him 4 million dollars to boot?

The Collins signing is preparing for worst case scenario and he would provide an upgrade over Painter or Orlovsky. The problem I have with that is why wait until now to sign him? Why not try to sign him or some other vet right after FA started so they can get in camp right away?? Collins should have no problem picking up the playbook but hes gonna need more time to get the timing, chemistry, and rhythm down with their offense. This also raises concern over them not doing a good enough job to find a decent backup QB for Manning. The Pats do a good job with that, and so do the Eagles. Being a backup QB in Indy is very different from any other situation. Its Mannings system, hes the coach on the field. Theres no other offense more dependant on their QB.

This is a golden opportunity for the Texans to take advantage of if Manning isnt playing them week 1.

RamsFan4Life

Starter
JdashSTL said:
RamsFan4Life said:

The Collins signing is preparing for worst case scenario and he would provide an upgrade over Painter or Orlovsky. The problem I have with that is why wait until now to sign him? Why not try to sign him or some other vet right after FA started so they can get in camp right away?? Collins should have no problem picking up the playbook but hes gonna need more time to get the timing, chemistry, and rhythm down with their offense. This also raises concern over them not doing a good enough job to find a decent backup QB for Manning. The Pats do a good job with that, and so do the Eagles. Being a backup QB in Indy is very different from any other situation. Its Mannings system, hes the coach on the field. Theres no other offense more dependant on their QB.

This is a golden opportunity for the Texans to take advantage of if Manning isnt playing them week 1.

Sorry but I don't concur that this was a worst case scenario signing.

I live near Indy and work downtown.

They have been lying to their fans....in the run up to the season that almost wasn't, where the strike and the economy has supressed ticket sales.....so that they would still pony up the big dollars for PSLs and tickets.

Now, when they realize there is no how, no way he'll (Manning) open the season AND they have stunk all preseason with guys who KNOW the O, they panic and bring in Collins and I will bet anyone here he (Collins) is under center Sept 11 in Houston.

Takers?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Well Im sure the Texans will make the necessary preparations in case Manning does start. How would you like to be Jim Caldwell and possibly have to tell Manning that hes not starting week 1? That would suck lol.

RamsFan4Life

Starter
JdashSTL said:
Well Im sure the Texans will make the necessary preparations in case Manning does start. How would you like to be Jim Caldwell and possibly have to tell Manning that hes not starting week 1? That would suck lol.

Actually I don't think coach will make that call....I think the guy who cut his neck will.

And the answer will be no.

Then it may come down to Manning who will be smart and not risk ending his career....and rest...a few weeks too I'm thinking. I read a guy saying his neck surgery wasn't nearly as invasive as Manning's was and he rehabed like a year and a half.

I would be shocked if he played in the first quarter of the games this season and maybe not until after the bye if at all.

again........

If Manning is thought to be able to play....even if we are talking week two or three......why Collins?
Painter has shown tonight that those pissing on about his first couple of games are much like our comrades at the PD.....IOW he is a serviceable backup....if only called on for a couple of games........and if Collins wasn't a panic signing.....OMG PEYTON IS HURT BAD.........I fail to see the logic in not only coaxing him out of retirement but also paying him 4 million dollars.

Now he did kind of bitch out and retire rather than strut his stuff while tutoring the new kid and catch on with somebody else. And he CLAIMS this is completely different(yeah he's a place holder until the real QB of the Colts gets well....gee I really get it now.....nvm....not really) and this team can go to the Super Bowl yada yada yada.......when I have read pundits predicting the Colts don't go to the playoffs.....they have a crummy Oline and an undersized Dline and a suspect secondary.......but with Manning and the gys he has to pitch the pill to......well I don't think reasonable people would be counting them out unless there is something we aren't getting.

I could be waaaaay wrong bro......no crystal ball that's fo sho......I just think when you noodle out the people and the situation....it's hard not to think they are in heap deep kim chee.