Per Tony Pauline the Rams number one draft target was Byron Murphy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Am I the only one who is tired of these collie molesters, most of whom have zero connection to the team, claiming to know who the Rams would have taken had things played out differently?

Bull :crap: clickbait.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I can see the Rams wanting Murphy or Nix or Latu or Bowers but we got the VERSE/FISKE combo!!!!!!

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They were 19th. They had a list of 19 players they would take. I have no doubt Murphy was on it, but so were 18 others.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
All sorts of stories out there ... no one knows what is and isn't accurate. Maurice Jones-Drew says the same thing or was perhaps who told them. Maybe.

Maurice Jones-Drew, who calls Rams games on the radio, told Seattle-based podcast Bump and Stacy that Los Angeles was going to take Murphy at No. 19 if the Seahawks hadn’t selected him three picks prior.

“I know the Rams were going to take Byron Murphy if you guys didn’t,” Jones-Drew said. “He has the body type (and) the potential to be what Aaron Donald was for the Rams, a guy that can be disruptive, take over games from the inside. The guard position in the National Football League isn’t the best right now. So you get a piece that can really penetrate the pocket and put pressure on the quarterback. … To me, he was (one of) the top three pass rushers up there.”

The Rams did end up bolstering their defensive front three picks later by taking Florida State edge rusher Jared Verse, who was also considered among the top defensive prospects in the draft. Murphy indeed would have made a lot of sense for the Rams. After a decade terrorizing NFL offenses, star defensive tackle Aaron Donald announced his retirement this offseason, leaving a massive hole in middle of Los Angeles’ defensive front. Jones-Drew even sees a bit of Donald in Murphy.

“He has the body type (and) the potential to be what Aaron Donald was for the Rams, a guy that can be disruptive, take over games from the inside,” Jones-Drew said. “The guard position in the National Football League isn’t the best right now. So you get a piece that can really penetrate the pocket and put pressure on the quarterback. … To me, he was (one of) the top three pass rushers up there.”

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They were 19th. They had a list of 19 players they would take. I have no doubt Murphy was on it, but so were 18 others.

i'm sure the rams would have taken caleb williams if he dropped to 19.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
All sorts of stories out there ... no one knows what is and isn't accurate.
Exactly. It's pretty safe to throw something out there when you're pretty damn sure no one in the organization is going to address it, therefore no one to prove the report wrong.

I don't really put much stock into these anonymous source articles. I suspect that many times they may even be their own anonymous source.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I will say though that Jones-Drew should be more reliable than most as a potential Rams "insider". He's around the organization a lot. I wonder if he gave any speculation on the pick before the draft or if he simply felt that it was over so he wasn't giving away anything by talking now.

Who knows.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This would have been disappointing to some here because it’s been reported that the Rams were looking at pass rush tandems. That would mean they would have tried to trade up to acquire Tevondre Sweat. :explode1:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That's the 6th player I've heard some expert say we wanted. Next thing you know @Loyal is going to tell us it was actually @Merlin who was our target to trade up for.
If they wanted someone to change the watercooler I'd do the best damn job they ever saw.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
What I would like to know is what Jones-Drew thinks about the Blake Corum pick. I mean he's a former RB (and a very good one...) so I'd be interested on his take on Blake.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
According to the athletic article the Rams were zeroed in on three players in round one. Verse was one of them. It seems the other two were Bowers and Murphy.

All players that I would expect them to like from the 10-19 range.