Pead hasn't given up on being part of Rams' RB mix/FSMW

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Isaiah Pead hasn't given up on being part of Rams' RB mix
By Nate Latsch

http://msn.foxsports.com/midwest/st...-given-up-on-being-part-of-rams-rb-mix-062614

Isaiah Pead had a message for his Twitter followers after the St. Louis Rams used their third-round pick to draft another running back, Tre Mason of Auburn.

Isaiah Pead @iPead
Y'all just #staytuned don't trip

That the Rams added Mason to a running back group that included Zac Stacy, last year's breakout starter; his backup, Benny Cunningham; brief starter Daryl Richardson, and Pead wasn't a good sign for the Rams' second-round pick in 2012.

But Pead, 24, is still in St. Louis -- Richardson was released after the draft -- and is looking to make his mark as more than just a special teams contributor, which was his role in 2013.

"Last year was last year and this is a new year," Pead said following a recent OTA session. "I'm focusing on playing running back. Helping on special teams also, but my main focus is getting back there in the backfield."

That has been a challenge for the former Cincinnati standout, who after two seasons has just 17 carries for 75 yards in 25 career games. Ten running backs picked after him -- including Washington's Alfred Morris, who has emerged as one of the league's top young runners, and Richardson -- have produced more rushing yards than Pead.

Pead remains undaunted.

"I'm a football player," he said. "Whatever I'm doing between the lines I take it to heart when I have a role. Last year, special teams was my role. This year, early, special teams are kind of my role. But like I say, I'm looking at changing my role to running back."

The 5-foot-10, 197-pounder could get his chance this fall.

Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer insisted during OTAs that the team would have competition at running back, despite Stacy emerging as a rookie last season with 973 yards rushing and team-high eight touchdowns.

"We're just going to let them all roll and see what happens," Schottenheimer said following one late OTA session. "You saw some guys that worked with the young guys today. Zac's obviously a really, really good player, but we're going to create competition for all the guys. That's a long way off, but we know we have a good stable group of backs and they all have different skill sets, which we'll try to use throughout the course of the year."

Schottenheimer also praised Pead's work during OTAs.

"He's doing good," he said. "He ran with the 1s some today; did a nice job. Obviously, again, took a big step up for coach (John) Fassel on special teams. When a guy does that he's obviously going to be dressed every day on game day, which is a big thing for us because you don't get everybody dressed for game day.

"He's really getting better. I think getting comfort in the system helps. Terrific matchup problem for the defense coming out of the backfield, and he's made some big plays for us."

Pead's sophomore season started on a negative note, having to sit out the season opener for a violation of the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

He returned to contribute in the next two games -- he had six carries for 20 yards and seven catches for 43 yards in a Week 3 loss to the Cowboys -- but didn't have another carry and had only two more catches the rest of the season. Both came in a Week 13 loss at San Francisco. He played only once in Weeks 4 through 9.

"My mindset was just getting on the field," Pead said. "... I hadn't been playing and I went up to coach Fassel and said, 'Can I run down on kickoffs or punts or something?' I didn't have a role on offense or the team, period. He gave me a role and I filled it to the best of my ability."

Fassel, in fact, was quite pleased with the results.

"Not only was he a contributor, he was a high-impact guy for us," the special teams coordinator said during OTAs. "I think a lot of people are going to see a lot of growth out of that guy -- not only on special teams. And I can't speak for offense, but I just imagine with his maturity, his work ethic, his ability, I would imagine he's going to have a fantastic preseason."

Pead is thinking basically the same thing.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I've piled on this guy plenty, but I like what I'm reading about him this off-season. He can't do anything now about where he was drafted, but he can work his ass off to contribute at RB and ST's. If he has matured and dedicated himself to the team, then credit to him. We're 4 deep at RB.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Yeah I've given this guy plenty of crap the last couple years, but if he manages to turn it around I'll be the first to say I was wrong. I do like reading about how he went to Fassel just to get on the field. Sounds like he has some good work ethic, maybe just ran into some bad luck.

Ramatik

Starter
I've piled on this guy plenty, but I like what I'm reading about him this off-season. He can't do anything now about where he was drafted, but he can work his ass off to contribute at RB and ST's. If he has matured and dedicated himself to the team, then credit to him. We're 4 deep at RB.

I like what you said here.

Where a guy was drafted should stop mattering once it becomes time to play ball. I've been disappointed with this guy, but if he could be a solid contributor and be that "matchup problem for defenses" out of the backfield I would be extremely happy!

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Ya know what? I'd be plenty pleased if ALL THREE of our RB's lived up to their billing and flourished. Fisher is a run first guy ... and having THREE RB's that can get the job done is nothing but a plus. It means our running attack will be as fresh as our pass rush is on the D. .... and that will open up the passing game. It will get our WR's in more 1 on 1 matchups.

RamzFanz

Damnit
My biggest hope for both him and Tre is that they can take over KO return duties. Hang on to the damn ball and burn it up.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
3dfb55aad54797770e4680579a7dbc6291dbba1d433f26e4e3170ced9f08fa24.jpg

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I hope he shines this year as I was puzzled as to why he wasn't playing more! Can't prove your worth sitting on the bench! :unsure:

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Some guys see the writing on the wall and it helps turn the light switch on for them. If he doesn't pan out here I can't see much of a market for him elsewhere. Glad he's finally starting to get it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If he can work his way into meaningful playing time at RB, it may be something he puts a death grip on and won't let go. May be a little sweeter if he has to fight through his problems to take it.

My current expectations for Pead are for him to move up from an F- to an F, I'd be pleasantly surprised if he can.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Kevin Demoff:

Unfortunately for Isaiah, he has been fighting uphill ever since he missed the entire offseason his rookie year because Cincinnati was on the quarter system. That allowed Daryl Richardson to impress coaches and get ahead of him in 2012 as he needed training camp to get his first practice snaps while other players had 14 practices under their belt already. Last year, he had a good offseason but the suspension (which was based on 2012 offseason issue) forced us to give more reps to other RBs to prepare for the AZ opener. However, he stayed quiet, worked hard and made a great niche for himself on special teams. Now he is a key core player there and that confidence has helped him have his best offseason to date. He has had his share of reps with the first team and looked quicker and better in practices. I think we are all excited about his progress, but it does need to translate in preseason games and regular season games. However, nobody is harder on Isaiah than Isaiah, and we expect good things this year from him.