Paxton Lynch's Pro Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thank you. All 3 have seriously 1 to 3 year talent. Be happy with any of them at 15. Also As a fall back C jones over anyone in the next tier.
Last year I would have been willing to take a chance on Jones, after watching him this year I honestly wouldn't touch him until the 6th round(only because we currently don't have a 7th rounder). Just too many questions about his ability after this season to me. Driskel and Brisset are really the only ones after the top 3 that intrigue me and those would be again later picks.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Last year I would have been willing to take a chance on Jones, after watching him this year I honestly wouldn't touch him until the 6th round(only because we currently don't have a 7th rounder). Just too many questions about his ability after this season to me. Driskel and Brisset are really the only ones after the top 3 that intrigue me and those would be again later picks.

Being a Buckeye fan I have seen plenty of Jones and IMO what would serve him well is if he gets drafted by a team that has a QB guru as a Head Coach, so with that being posted best places he could land:
  1. New Orleans
  2. Miami

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Am watching nfl live and mark brunell said he believes lynch needs to sit for a year or even a year and a half to be ready. Now i have no idea how good brunell is in breaking down qb prospects but that was his view.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Being a Buckeye fan I have seen plenty of Jones and IMO what would serve him well is if he gets drafted by a team that has a QB guru as a Head Coach, so with that being posted best places he could land:
  1. New Orleans
  2. Miami

Browns.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
He clearly has been working hard the last few months. That's a good sign.

There was a lot to like about his pro day.

I still think if you see Wentz or Goff as a tier ahead it makes sense to go get your top guy - but I'm not sure how much seperation there is between these 3.

Something in me puts Wentz out ahead of the other two but I could talk myself into Goff or Lynch pretty quickly.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Leaps and bounds ahead of his combine showing. I think that's a big indicator of him working towards getting better which is good to see. If he made it to fifteen and we selected him I'd be ecstatic. He and Gurley on some play action roll outs and bootlegs would be amazing.

Ram65

Legend
He has to be an option for the Rams. Can he be a starter in year two? Based on the observed improvement in his foot work since the combine it's possible. Rams need a plan as he just removed some doubt about his arm and foot work that will jump his draft position.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Flacco took all his college snaps from shotgun, Big Ben played in a spread at a small school, Ryan Tannehill was a college WR...
There have been QB who were deemed a year or two away that started right away and played well.
I see no reason a 1st round talent be required to ride the pine, particularly when you are talking about a non complex type offense like the Rams have. Sure, you wont have him exposed to the whole play book, but no doubt can simplify it, and give him some plays

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Flacco took all his college snaps from shotgun, Big Ben played in a spread at a small school, Ryan Tannehill was a college WR...
There have been QB who were deemed a year or two away that started right away and played well.
I see no reason a 1st round talent be required to ride the pine, particularly when you are talking about a non complex type offense like the Rams have. Sure, you wont have him exposed to the whole play book, but no doubt can simplify it, and give him some plays
Add to that the rookie has the same limitations the veteran does. At least the rookie has a good arm and is mobile. It's not like Keenum is a pro bowler, if he were we wouldn't be talking about drafting a QB.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Good improvement, I want to see how he reads the field. That's something I like about Cook, it seems he's always scanning the field, makes progressions well.

Ram Man

Rookie
Add to that the rookie has the same limitations the veteran does. At least the rookie has a good arm and is mobile. It's not like Keenum is a pro bowler, if he were we wouldn't be talking about drafting a QB.

The consensus is that Lynch will not be ready to start in his first year in the NFL. Nothing wrong with that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The consensus is that Lynch will not be ready to start in his first year in the NFL. Nothing wrong with that.
And nothing to say that the so called consensus is right. They've been wrong before and often. Nothing wrong with believing them or doubting them.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like Lynch may not be there at #15 after all

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
What's your option?

I wouldn't go with him at 15, he will need time to study and figure out NFL offenses and the NFL defenses coming at him. For his best sake I would say he goes to a team where he can sit behind a veteran and learn the system similar to what Osweiler did. He reminds me a lot of Osweiler with the size, mobility and cannon of an arm he has.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Everyone remember Johnny Manziels "amazing" pro day? and how bad Teddy Bridgewater did at his pro day? enough said, we wont really know how this guy acts under pressure until he faces a NFL defense .

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Everyone remember Johnny Manziels "amazing" pro day? and how bad Teddy Bridgewater did at his pro day? enough said, we wont really know how this guy acts under pressure until he faces a NFL defense .
We all know this, but this is his Pro Day thread. I remember both of them, and Manziel was NOT spectacular, and Teddy flat out sucked. Lynch, IMO, has way more talent than the rest of them. He also has more talent than Brock. Both Wentz, and Goff are more pro ready. Both are better players right now, but Lynch has the highest upside. So what if he has to sit and learn? Most QB's should do that anyway. It's not like we are asking our current QB's to go out and win games.

So, when I ask what is someone else's option, I mean, what would you do (your plan), not what you wouldn't do?

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Normally, I don't get carried away with pro days, myself, Adi.

But the relevant and impressive thing is Lynch's dramatic improvement in drops and footwork over his combine performance. Such an improvement for a former spread QB in such a short time bodes well for his learning curve potential at the NFL level, don't you think?

I doubt he lasts much beyond our 15, if he even lasts THAT long. If he's there, we should run up to the podium. I'm in no mood for another Bobby Wagner greediness fubar. Lol.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Watched and rewatched his pro day. Big step forward since the combine.
Lots to work on but he's making progress.

He answered the only question that matters.
That right now today he's as good or better than any QB on the Rams roster. And he has the huge high side the Rams lack now

It's a no brainer to take him at 15 if they really want a qb.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't go with him at 15, he will need time to study and figure out NFL offenses and the NFL defenses coming at him. For his best sake I would say he goes to a team where he can sit behind a veteran and learn the system similar to what Osweiler did. He reminds me a lot of Osweiler with the size, mobility and cannon of an arm he has.
Osweiler doesn't have close to the arm that Lynch has, nor was he the prospect that Lynch is.
And lastly, he wasn't on the bench because he wasn't ready, he was on the bench because Peyton Manning was in his way
If you're going to keep your #1 on the bench you only do so when you've got a legit QB playing in front. I like Keenum but if Lynch can't take the job from him, he shouldn't be drafted #1