Patriots fans sue over lost #Deflategate draft picks/Judge says "No"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This could also have been posted in the "Dumbass of the Day" thread.

giphy.gif

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/05/patriots-fans-sue-over-lost-deflategate-draft-picks/

Patriots fans sue over lost #Deflategate draft picks
Posted by Mike Florio on April 5, 2016

Last year, the Patriots chose not to pursue the fruitless path of persuading the NFL to reconsider the penalties the NFL imposed as a result of the #Deflategate case. A group of Patriots fans have chosen to tilt at the NFL windmill.

Via the Boston Herald, a group of Patriots fans have filed a federal lawsuit in an effort to recover the 2016 first-round pick and the 2017 fourth-round pick that were taken from the team by the NFL. Brought by seven Patriots fans from three different states (Massachusetts, Florida, New Jersey) and signed by Maine lawyer Seth Carey, the civil complaint accuses the league of and Commissioner Roger Goodell of fraud, negligence, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and racketeering.

“In short, after a three-month, multi-million dollar investigation, actual proof of a plot to deflate footballs was never found,” Carey writes. “In the absence of such evidence, it is difficult to understand why [outside investigator Ted] Wells found such a plot ‘more probable than not.'”

As it relates to the allegation that cheating occurred in connection with the January 2015 AFC championship game, many believe that the evidence is lacking at best, non-existent at worst, given the application of the Ideal Gas Law.

Yes, the team’s in-house Beavis and Butthead exchanged some text messages that created real concerns; still, the investigation failed to prove, under any relevant standard, that someone removed air from the footballs prior to the game between the Colts and Patriots. If someone had indeed removed air, the application of obvious (but admittedly unknown to the league at the time) scientific principles would have made the PSI measurements dramatically lower than they actually were.

The lawsuit risks crossing the line between having a shred of merit and becoming potentially frivolous by adding Patriots owner Robert Kraft as a defendant for exercising his privilege to not try to persuade the NFL to change its own mind regarding the penalties. As Kraft has explained, he believed that not pushing an issue that most likely would have been futile would assist the effort of quarterback Tom Brady to avoid a suspension.

Patriots fans who believe that a miscarriage of justice occurred don’t appreciate this nuance. They continue to subjectively believe that the team, and in turn they, were screwed. The lawsuit confirms this lingering frustration, even if the lawsuit gets dismissed far faster than any specific stage of the #Deflategate drama was ever resolved.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm fairly certain they were fined and docked draft picks for their failure to fully cooperate with the investigation weren't they?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nope. No frivolous lawsuit problems in this Country.
This is totally legit and entirely not a waste of taxpayer money.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Patriot fans seem more and more like jackasses everyday.
They are the WORST fans I've been around, and this is coming from a person that deals with eagles fans every season. They have watched their team win 4 Super Bowls fairly recently, and act like the ultimate victims when their precious team gets caught cheating. It's annoying, and I almost Gred Hardy'd a bitch at the game last year. She was lucky I can't catch a case right now.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I used to feel for Boston fan... the Steve Grogan led Pats and the hapless Sox who were just bit...(Bill Buckner still hurts old fans a bit). I even liked the Lakers/Celtics rivalry and respected the Celtics as much as I hated them although Johnny Most's voice still makes me cringe. (I honestly never took the time to learn about hockey so I never learned much about the Bruins)

Then the Pats won and Boston fan went from lovable losers to unbelievable aholes. Then the Red Sox won the World Series (finally) and Boston fan became insufferable.

Now, if someone says they're from Boston, I make sure to not mention sports of any kind. And YES, I've called Bostonians aholes to their face. Unsurprisingly, about half of them didn't disagree.

jap

Legend
Now, if someone says they're from Boston, I make sure to not mention sports of any kind. And YES, I've called Bostonians aholes to their face. Unsurprisingly, about half of them didn't disagree.

. . . that half actually, actually agreed? :thinking: :huh:

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Any ROD attorneys? He/She can represent the other NFL teams and sue Kraft and the Pats for defrauding everybody out of wins/superbowls/lost merchandise sales/pain and suffering/loss of joy/deflation of potential ticket prices and overall team values.

Seems like a more winnable case:boxing:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Any ROD attorneys? He/She can represent the other NFL teams and sue Kraft and the Pats for defrauding everybody out of wins/superbowls/lost merchandise sales/pain and suffering/loss of joy/deflation of potential ticket prices and overall team values.

Seems like a more winnable case:boxing:

I wish I was an attorney. I would start this and get it blabbed all over Boston just to piss them off.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is harsh I know but, I was a counselor at a camp for kids with Spina Bifida for several years. Last year this 10 year old kid from Massechussetts is there and he was so obnoxious with all of the Patriots/Tom Brady stuff that he completely alienated himself from the other kids who liked other teams, and the counselors all decided not to talk about football with him because he was always fishing for an argument about how great Brady and the Patriots are. He continually said that his dad told him that Tom Brady was the last pick in the draft. It was sad because he was there to have fun and feel accepted among other kids with the same ailment yet he showed up from day one blowing his stack about the Patriots instead. Kids that come in defensive from day 1 can usually be turned around real quick and refocused but not Max. Made me wonder what the rest of his family was like.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Cheatriots fans need to shut the fuck up and sit the fuck down.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

giphy.gif

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/05/patriots-fans-sue-over-lost-deflategate-draft-picks/

Last year, the Patriots chose not to pursue the fruitless path of persuading the NFL to reconsider the penalties the NFL imposed as a result of the #Deflategate case. A group of Patriots fans have chosen to tilt at the NFL windmill.

Via the Boston Herald, a group of Patriots fans have filed a federal lawsuit in an effort to recover the 2016 first-round pick and the 2017 fourth-round pick that were taken from the team by the NFL. Brought by seven Patriots fans from three different states (Massachusetts, Florida, New Jersey) and signed by Maine lawyer Seth Carey, the civil complaint accuses the league of and Commissioner Roger Goodell of fraud, negligence, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and racketeering.

“In short, after a three-month, multi-million dollar investigation, actual proof of a plot to deflate footballs was never found,” Carey writes. “In the absence of such evidence, it is difficult to understand why [outside investigator Ted] Wells found such a plot ‘more probable than not.'”

As it relates to the allegation that cheating occurred in connection with the January 2015 AFC championship game, many believe that the evidence is lacking at best, non-existent at worst, given the application of the Ideal Gas Law.

Yes, the team’s in-house Beavis and Butthead exchanged some text messages that created real concerns; still, the investigation failed to prove, under any relevant standard, that someone removed air from the footballs prior to the game between the Colts and Patriots. If someone had indeed removed air, the application of obvious (but admittedly unknown to the league at the time) scientific principles would have made the PSI measurements dramatically lower than they actually were.

The lawsuit risks crossing the line between having a shred of merit and becoming potentially frivolous by adding Patriots owner Robert Kraft as a defendant for exercising his privilege to not try to persuade the NFL to change its own mind regarding the penalties. As Kraft has explained, he believed that not pushing an issue that most likely would have been futile would assist the effort of quarterback Tom Brady to avoid a suspension.

Patriots fans who believe that a miscarriage of justice occurred don’t appreciate this nuance. They continue to subjectively believe that the team, and in turn they, were screwed. The lawsuit confirms this lingering frustration, even if the lawsuit gets dismissed far faster than any specific stage of the #Deflategate drama was ever resolved.

giphy.gif

RAMBUSH

Starter

giphy.gif

Amazing, like their team the fans have no class or integrity.