Overall thoughts on the game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Some random thoughts I noticed in tonight's excellent game...

1. OL stepped it up after getting their asses kicked early. Even Boom (who still is not great in run blocking) had a pancake late where he almost got in a scrum about it post-play. It was nice though he drove his dude way out and flopped on him. Proud of how they hung in there and turned things around.

2. Blindside edge needs to be Hollins and Oko. I love Ebukam's hustle but his contain is not good he just doesn't have the instincts for it. And that's even with the excellent contain sack he had in the game. The TD run to his side late was the kind of contain you'd get from dudes on this board, i.e. completely nonexistent. Hollins is way more athletic than he looks and I love his ranginess the guy is a mini-Floyd. And him and Oko as the primary rotation would set us up best I think. This has been mentioned round these parts before but why not start working Ebukam on the interior and let him get comfortable doing that, which should help us with overall depth too.

3. Hill is gonna be Hill. The guy is kind of amazing, he looks like fucking Deion some plays and on others like a guy who lacks instincts. But as a third CB he's better than most by a good shot. Glad to see him bounce back with that big TD return congrats and that was a huge play for us. He also had some nice breaks on the ball to go with his bonehead coverages.

4. We saw the future of our offensive backfield and it's not Todd Gurley in his prime but Akers/Hendy can be a really nasty matchup for defenses that are going to make them sweat. Sure felt good to see them make the Cards pay for some of their alignments.

5. How in the fuck was Gay on the streets. His kick is explosive. Nice straight ball. I'm trying real hard not to get into puns here too. :ROFLMAO: Oh and fire Bonamego and replace him with a cab driver please, we'll probably see some improvement.

6. Goff is going to get a great chance to get some revenge on Belicheat on Thursday. I think all the work they've done on blitzes and hots are good for him in prep for this too btw. Excited to see him get out there and do what you have to do vs Belichick which is be patient, take what is there, and take advantage of the rare mistakes when they happen. Because I think Belichick will take away the run game and the short passes to the outside. Thursday night will be a QB game IMO it's a really big fucking game for our young signal caller.

Overall we're 8-4 and in the division driver's seat. In a rebuild season that saw us replace Gurley and Cooks and change our DC. How fucking nice is that eh? :beer2::cool:(y)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shit almost forgot... Reeder played his ass off and Young played well too. This defense man, they are something to watch. :horns:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams’ Week 13 studs and duds: Goff, Hollins stand out for L.A.
Rams’ Week 13 studs and duds: Goff, Hollins stand out for L.A. (yahoo.com)
1607313969788.png

After mostly being carried by the defense in recent weeks, the Rams offense stepped up to the occasion against the Cardinals on Sunday afternoon. They helped lift the team to a 38-28 victory, gaining 463 total yards and converting on nine of their 15 third-down attempts.
Jared Goff led the way on offense with a terrific bounce-back effort, putting together one of his best games of the year. The defense had some great performances, too, namely by Justin Hollins and Aaron Donald.
Here are our studs and duds from Week 13.

Stud: Jared Goff
A week after arguably his worst game of the season, Goff had one of his best. He completed a season-high 78.7% of the passes for 351 yards and a touchdown. But most importantly, he didn’t turn the ball over once. Goff was efficient and accurate, making several impressive throws into small windows. He also did a great job spreading the ball around to his cast of receivers, hitting nine different players with each of them gaining at least 20 yards receiving.

Studs: Rams running backs
Cam Akers rushed for 72 yards on 21 carries and had 22 yards receiving, but he wasn’t the only productive running back for L.A. Darrell Henderson had 49 yards rushing and 25 yards receiving. He made one of the biggest plays of the game, a 38-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter, having an impact on offense despite missing time with a knee injury. Even Malcolm Brown chipped in with 30 yards receiving. It was an all-around good day for the Rams’ running backs, putting up 195 yards from scrimmage in the game.

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1335732934825766912

Stud: Justin Hollins
Hollins doesn’t get much recognition opposite Leonard Floyd, primarily because he’s had his share of struggles at outside linebacker. But against the Cardinals, he stepped up. Hollins made three tackles, had one sack, hit Kyler Murray twice and forced a fumble, which the Rams recovered. Most importantly, he was disciplined on the edge, containing Murray any time he tried to escape the pocket to the left. Hollins’ length and athleticism really played a factor in this one and he deserves a lot of credit for the way he played against one of the most elusive players in football.

Stud: Troy Hill
Sunday’s game wasn’t without its low points for Hill, but the highs were far more impactful. He put the nail in the coffin with his 35-yard pick-six in the fourth quarter, and also broke up one other pass on third down earlier in the game. He was in coverage on the Cardinals’ fourth-and-12 conversion, but it’s not as if he was burned by the receiver. And on the 59-yard touchdown pass where the Rams blew the coverage, it’s hard to blame Hill without knowing his assignment; everyone was in zone coverage except Jalen Ramsey, who followed DeAndre Hopkins.
View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1335736765483610113
Hill played well against the Cardinals and scored a touchdown in his second straight game.

Stud: Aaron Donald
Donald didn’t dominate the way he has in other games, but he was still a stud. He recorded three tackles, including one sack and a tackle for a loss. He chased down Murray on a scramble, too, tackling him along the sideline for no gain. Donald commanded double-teams like he usually does, which made life easier for Floyd, Hollins and the Rams’ other defenders up front.
View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1335697857274388480

Stud: Jalen Ramsey
Just as he did against DK Metcalf, Ramsey more or less took DeAndre Hopkins out of the equation on Sunday. Sure, Hopkins caught eight passes, but they only went for 52 yards with one touchdown where Ramsey wasn't in coverage. Hopkins did next to nothing when Ramsey was on him. Ramsey didn't exclusively cover Hopkins, but for the most part, he was on him in key situations. And with only 52 yards, it's hard to say Hopkins won this battle.

Dud: Nsimba Webster
Webster has taken over punt return duties full-time from Cooper Kupp, but that could change. He fumbled a punt in the fourth quarter, which directly led to a touchdown by the Cardinals two plays later. Webster has been mostly solid in the return game this season, but that could’ve been a costly fumble to let the Cardinals back in the game if not for the Rams’ two fourth-quarter touchdowns to put it away.

Dud: Rob Havenstein
Havenstein had a rough outing on Sunday. He didn’t officially allow a sack, but Devon Kennard beat him for a hit on Goff early in the game, which impacted a throw. And throughout the afternoon, there were instances of him failing to not only protect the quarterback, but clear running lanes for the tailbacks. It’s not time for the Rams to make a change to Bobby Evans, but this wasn’t Havenstein’s best effort.

Dud: Samson Ebukam
Ebukam plays out of control too often, which leads to missed tackles and poor technique. He had a free run at Murray in the pocket and failed to bring him down, as the quarterback escaped to the weakside where Hollins was waiting. Then on a screen pass to the outside, Ebukam came flying in and whiffed on the ball carrier, allowing him to pick up a good chunk of yardage.

6 takeaways from Rams’ Week 13 win over the Cardinals (yahoo.com)

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Shit almost forgot... Reeder played his ass off and Young played well too. This defense man, they are something to watch. :horns:

Yeah, and they can handle Cam Newton and the Patriots.

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
winning post of the day
" fire Bonamego and replace him with a cab driver please, we'll probably see some improvement. "

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Glad you mentioned Reeder. He's been a punching bag on this board(me included) but he's clearly working to improve and has gotten better at staying under control and *Reeding the lanes.

*see what i did there?

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Have always preferred a good Mexican beer, Dos Equis, Modelo, Pacifico and Tecate. Yesterday it was pints of Pacifico at our local watering hole.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aloha! Long time Rams fan, since 1970. Thanks for allowing me to join.
Welcome to the board 808. Boy do I miss the days of having that area code in my phone number. Think we have a few folks who did some time in the islands. :beer2:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was very pleased that ER Justin Hollins turned in a totally different game against the Cards versus his 9ers game. ER Hollins had 3 solo's 3 assists & one sack. His 27 snaps 42 % of the defensive snaps help contained the Cards run game & hurried the passing game from his pressure,

ER Hollins is the closest clone to an ER Leonard Floyd on this roster currently. He is under contract all the way through the 2022 season @ with a low rage price tag. I believe that Justin Hollins & Og Okoronkwo will be the leading prospects for starting ER duties next season. Anyone think differently?

Top 2020 defensive selection ER Terrell Lewis has a damaged knee that has failed to get healthy. Lewis was a pre-2020 draft Medical Flag before the draft by most NFL teams. ER Justin Lawler is coming off 2 full seasons on the IR. No other OLB/ER's are under contract. The Rams might resign Natrez Patrick though.

This is a unit that I will be watching for the rest of the season for obvious reasons.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Go all-in on Offense in the 2021 Draft, assuming you haven't got wholesale defections/changes on the defense during the off-season. Better and more consistent offense paired with this defense = championship run(s).

Was my talk-to-the-TV, say-it-for-the-world to hear observation as I'm watching the game.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
I was very pleased that ER Justin Hollins turned in a totally different game against the Cards versus his 9ers game. ER Hollins had 3 solo's 3 assists & one sack. His 27 snaps 42 % of the defensive snaps help contained the Cards run game & hurried the passing game from his pressure,

ER Hollins is the closest clone to an ER Leonard Floyd on this roster currently. He is under contract all the way through the 2022 season @ with a low rage price tag. I believe that Justin Hollins & Og Okoronkwo will be the leading prospects for starting ER duties next season. Anyone think differently?

Top 2020 defensive selection ER Terrell Lewis has a damaged knee that has failed to get healthy. Lewis was a pre-2020 draft Medical Flag before the draft by most NFL teams. ER Justin Lawler is coming off 2 full seasons on the IR. No other OLB/ER's are under contract. The Rams might resign Natrez Patrick though.

This is a unit that I will be watching for the rest of the season for obvious reasons.

Ebukam didn't have a lot of stats but played a good game also.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As we used to say back in the day, "Schaefer, it's the beer to have when you're having a case and a half..."

Funny I remember all the Beer Jingles and this was my favorite:
I’ve got Pabst Blue Ribbon on my mind, more and more lately, I find! I’ve got a taste for livin’, I’m thinkin’ cold Blue Ribbon; I’ve got Pabst Blue Ribbon on my mind!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ebukam didn't have a lot of stats but played a good game also.
Yes he did I was of the opinion it was Samson Ebukam's best game this season. I have been really hard on SE on all my posts all year but his great speed did come in handy in keeping the Cards scrambling running QB contained. SE just does not read the offense or ever seems to be in the right place & do not ask him to tackle the RB on his own.

First time I have seen Staley use SE's super speed! An outstanding decision by Staley.

I have loosened up on @Merlin 's idea of looking at moving SE inside to work in the interior. But I not going to pay SE much. Rams need to draft two ER's in this upcoming draft (one ER/OLB'er on Day 2 & another drafted ER/OLB'er on day#3).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Go all-in on Offense in the 2021 Draft, assuming you haven't got wholesale defections/changes on the defense during the off-season. Better and more consistent offense paired with this defense = championship run(s).

Was my talk-to-the-TV, say-it-for-the-world to hear observation as I'm watching the game.
I am thinking the opposite, Sir if you can find the time later can you provide me a very detailed reason why you feel so strongly on going all offense?:confused: