Overall Draft Strength or Weakness

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

@jrry32 , @den-the-coach , @OldSchool

I know you guys and others are far more in touch with the college talent
from year to year, than I will ever be. I don't watch college football often.
Just wanted to get a overall opinion of this years draft in terms of strength,
depth, maybe stronger position groups.

Just any kind of information or opinion you or others with knowledge of
college football want to share, would be gratefully appreciated.
Thx in advance.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

@jrry32 , @den-the-coach , @OldSchool

Just any kind of information or opinion you or others with knowledge of
college football want to share, would be gratefully appreciated.
Thx in advance.

1. EDGE DEFENDER

TOP-100 PLAYERS: 14

Not only are there 14 edge rushers in the PFF top 100, but there are also three in the top 10. This class has high-end talent, including the presumptive No. 1 pick Aidan Hutchinson, as well as depth into Day 2.

The top four edges in this year’s class — Hutchinson (No. 1 on PFF's big board), Kayvon Thibodeaux (No. 4), George Karlaftis (No. 10) and Travon Walker (No. 14) — would have all been EDGE1 in the 2021 class.

2. LINEBACKER

TOP-100 PLAYERS: 13

This class is unlikely to match 2020 in terms of first-rounders. That year, four linebackers came off the board in the first round, while it doesn’t seem likely that more than two get drafted in the first round this year.

Still, this year’s class should outshine that one on Day 2. There are 11 linebackers between No. 33 and No. 100 on the PFF draft board, and the only player no longer likely to go on Day 2 is LSU’s Damone Clark after he underwent spinal fusion surgery.

3. WIDE RECEIVER

TOP-100 PLAYERS: 16

Is this the new norm for receiver classes? While this year’s WR1, Drake London, would have checked in behind the top three from the 2021 class, the sheer depth of receivers with size in this draft class is staggering. In last year’s second round, four of the five receivers drafted were 5-foot-9 or shorter. That’s not going to be the case this year.

Prospects like George Pickens (6-foot-3), Justyn Ross (6-foot-4), Christian Watson (6-foot-4), Alec Pierce (6-foot-3) and Jalen Tolbert (6-foot-1) should give Day 2 of the 2022 class a decidedly different feel.

4. OFFENSIVE TACKLE

TOP-100 PLAYERS: 13

This marks the third straight impressive tackle class. The 2022 class is far more like the 2020 version than the one we saw a year ago. By that, I mean it’s top-heavy — you still want one of the top five tackles in this class and don’t want to be the team that reaches for the sixth (think Austin Jackson).

You won’t find the kind of depth in Round 2 that saw six tackles come off the board from picks 39-53 a year ago, but you will find high-end starter potential at the top of the draft.

5. CORNERBACK

TOP-100 PLAYERS: 9

This is one of the top-heaviest cornerback groups in recent memory. Depending on your scheme, Derek Stingley Jr., Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner and Trent McDuffie could all be seen as elite talents on team boards. All feature within the top-10 on the PFF board, as well.

From there, it starts to drop off considerably, with only two more corners in the top 50. However, it does feature a couple of athletic marvels in UTSA’s Tariq Woolen and Sam Houston State’s Zyon McCollum, two of the freakier testers ever at the position.

6. INTERIOR OFFENSIVE LINE

TOP-100 PLAYERS: 10

What the tackle class lacks in depth, the interior line class more than makes up for. The interior class is swarming with talent in Rounds 3 and 4, and that’s not even considering some possible tackle converts currently grouped in the tackle figure above. It also has a couple of prototypes, with Zion Johnson atop the guard class and Tyler Linderbaum atop the center group.

7. SAFETY

TOP-100 PLAYERS: 7

This is the last position group in 2022 that has an above-average class compared to the previous seven drafts we’ve graded. It has a blue-chipper at the top in Kyle Hamilton. It has excellent plug-and-play depth into Day 2 with Lewis Cine, Jaquan Brisker, Daxton Hill and Jalen Pitre. There is also a good deal of athletic projects to work with. With a little something for everyone, it’s a good year to want a safety.

8. DEFENSIVE TACKLE

TOP-100 PLAYERS: 5

There may not be great depth to this class, but boy, are there some impact players at the top. Georgia is carrying the class on its back with DT1 (Devonte Wyatt) and DT2 (Jordan Davis) on not only PFF’s board but on pretty much every board you’ll find. While it’s a touch lacking throughout Day 2, even having a couple of first-rounders is a nice change of pace after none went in Round 1 last year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are some very good players it's just lacking in the most important position QB so many call it a bad class. IMO Edge, DB both CB and S, and IOL are very good and you can get good players later which helps us because we can use a person or persons at each of those.

IDL has 2 maybe 3 exceptionally strong players and it's pretty lackluster after that. Same with LT 3 or 4 starting LT potential guys but lacking after that. RB also doesn't seem stellar but there could be a couple day 2 early day 3 gems to be had. TE also hasn't impressed me much. QB there may be 1 guy who is a chance to develop into a good starter in Willis but he needs coaching just has all the physical tools.

If you're an Athletic subscriber Jourdan has imo a very good mock I just don't know that I'd take that ILB unless the Rams are planning on Wagner being a 1 year signing the rest I like I was even working on a mock that had the same top 2 picks might have to change that now :D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

NFL Draft 2022: Los Angeles Rams Draft Analysis From The College Perspective​

1650590056164.png

By Pete Fiutak | April 21, 2022

2022 NFL Draft: From the college perspective, Los Angeles Rams draft analysis, needs, picks, best value selection, and biggest reach

NFL Draft 2022: Los Angeles Rams Draft Analysis​

Contact/Follow @ColFootballNews & @PeteFiutak

2022 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings, Analysis
QBs | RBs | WRs | TEs | OTs | OGs & Cs | DEs & Edge | DTs
LBs | Ss | CBs | 50 Greatest Value Draft Picks Ever
NFL Draft by college over last 5 years: 1-130 rankings
3 Greatest Picks ACC | Big Ten | Big 12 | Pac-12 | SEC

Scroll down for Los Angeles 2022 draft slots, last year’s picks, and best values and biggest reaches

Los Angeles Rams Needs, Pre-Draft Analysis: NFL Draft 2022​

The Rams will be spending most of their 2022 NFL Draft staring at their Super Bowl trophy. Welcome to the modern – and successful – NFL model of trading away your future and your picks for proven guys to WIN NOW. If you’re not going for the Super Bowl, then what’s the point?

However, the Rams do need help, and they’re probably not going to get a ton of it. They have picks, but other than that 104 in the 3rd there’s a whole lot of pick-and-pray about to happen with six selections after the 4th.

Beefing up the lines would be nice. No, there’s no replacing Von Miller at the 104, and it’s not going to be easy to do too much for the secondary late, but the goal might be to use all of those late picks to throw out options for the offensive interior to hope one of the options can stick.

So who’ll be there in the third round – the first pick – for Los Angeles? It might not be a thrill ride taking a third round guard as your first pick, but Kentucky Darian Kinnard and UCLA’s Sean Rhyan would be good targets. There should be a slew of corner and guard options around at the 142 – Wisconsin OG Logan Bruss, Georgia CB Derion Kendrick – to take a shot at.

Los Angeles Rams Draft Picks: NFL Draft 2022​

3 (104)
4 (142)
5 (175)
6 (211)
6 (212)
6 (218)
7 (238) (from Dolphins)
7 (253)

Los Angeles Rams 2021 Draft Picks​

2 (57) WR Tutu Atwell, Louisville
3 (103) LB Ernest Jones, South Carolina
4 (117) DT Bobby Brown, Texas A&M
4 (130) CB Robert Rochell, Central Arkansas
4 (141) WR Jacob Harris, UCF
5 (174) DE Earnest Brown, Northwestern
7 (233) RB Jake Funk, Maryland
7 (249) WR Ben Skowronek, Notre Dame
7 (252) LB Chris Garrett, Concordia (St. Paul)

Los Angeles Rams Draft Analysis: NFL Draft 2022​

Draft analysis to come on the fly next weekend during the draft.

Los Angeles Rams Best Value Pick, Biggest Reach, Late Flier: 2022 NFL Draft​

Draft analysis to come on the fly next weekend during the draft.

2022 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings, Analysis
QBs | RBs | WRs | TEs | OTs | OGs & Cs | DEs & Edge | DTs
LBs | Ss | CBs | 50 Greatest Value Draft Picks Ever
NFL Draft by college over last 5 years: 1-130 rankings

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's crazy that the year we sign Bobby Wagner and have a year two guy returning in Jones that the draft class has all sorts of ILB depth. So ironic after so many years of watching ILBs going to other teams. Still nice that we don't have to worry about that spot though so yeah I agree ILB is unlikely unless it's a guy sliding they didn't expect to see on the board, which, even then I would think Snead moves down and uses that player's slide to accrue more shots.

I just pray we get an impact player at a position of need (CB/Edge/OL/TE) with that third round pick that is really a 4th rounder. I don't see any way around us entering the season with a dip at a couple positions. And corner and edge to me look like the worst spots in terms of hoping someone steps up so we're probably talking another trade deadline move to supplement the rush or coverage.

Oh and btw we might be moving to a place in NFL drafts where there are fewer good cover corners than rush types. Reason I think that is because of all these hot athlete recruits going into the college programs wanting to play wideout. I mean why wouldn't they when the league clearly favors the offensive side of the ball. Every draft now seems loaded at wideout which I take as less corners from among that talent group going forward.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It's crazy that the year we sign Bobby Wagner and have a year two guy returning in Jones that the draft class has all sorts of ILB depth. So ironic after so many years of watching ILBs going to other teams. Still nice that we don't have to worry about that spot though so yeah I agree ILB is unlikely unless it's a guy sliding they didn't expect to see on the board, which, even then I would think Snead moves down and uses that player's slide to accrue more shots.

I just pray we get an impact player at a position of need (CB/Edge/OL/TE) with that third round pick that is really a 4th rounder.

This years draft looks quite good to me in the rounds 3 - 6 range where we'll participate, but I'd look to improve on our opportunities by trading our 2023 2'nd round draft pick. We have survived without a 1'st round pick for ages and this year we have no 2'nd either, but we might move up in the draft in a couple of rounds AND add another later round pick by sacrificing next years 2'nd. The Rams won't see a full complement of draft picks until 2024 anyway, so next year could be similar to this as we concentrate more on free agency and later round picks, but spending next years 2'nd now might prove more useful in what appears a quality mid-round draft like this year. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm fine with your logic but moving up would surprise me. Seems like these guys are dug in on their approach and that depth in this draft works in their favor.

If I were Les I'd move a WR, i.e. Jefferson. He's shown enough to where he's got some value and still has not reached his upside but is on the way. But for us he's just not really a great fit for Stafford who likes to yardball with his wideouts. Not sure how much we could move up by offering him but I'd find out. :laugh4:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm fine with your logic but moving up would surprise me. Seems like these guys are dug in on their approach and that depth in this draft works in their favor.

If I were Les I'd move a WR, i.e. Jefferson. He's shown enough to where he's got some value and still has not reached his upside but is on the way. But for us he's just not really a great fit for Stafford who likes to yardball with his wideouts. Not sure how much we could move up by offering him but I'd find out. :laugh4:

Well, strictly as an example and using this years trade value chart, we could conceivably trade our 2023 2'nd round draft pick with the Jags in order to move from our own #104 pick to their #65, also move up from our #142 in the 4'th round for their #106, and we'd also get their #157 in the 5'th. I'm not saying the Jags would welcome this or not, ... or even Detroit for that matter, but teams that are drafting high this year and knowing they are not likely to qualify for the play-offs may be interested in a future 2'nd. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean it's possible, nothing can be ruled out with the Rams, but to move up probably requires a targeted edge or corner on the board that they didn't think was going to be there.

More I think about it, though, the more sense it makes to move Jefferson. Especially if we sign Odell. We also have Tutu and Skow and Harris on that depth chart.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I mean it's possible, nothing can be ruled out with the Rams, but to move up probably requires a targeted edge or corner on the board that they didn't think was going to be there.

More I think about it, though, the more sense it makes to move Jefferson. Especially if we sign Odell. We also have Tutu and Skow and Harris on that depth chart.

I think moving Jefferson now would be a mistake, if we suffer an injury I'd rather not be forced to rely Atwell, Skow or Harris as WR4 just yet. Jefferson's 'contract' year is next year, I'd give more thought to trading him then. My preference would be to trade Rapp and draft a #4 ILB a bit later, especially if we have plans to sign Mathieu.
jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah Rapp is another piece they can move. Same with Burgess, though I doubt anyone would want him. Someone may want Rapp, especially if they're in need of a box type who's played in different schemes.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yeah Rapp is another piece they can move. Same with Burgess, though I doubt anyone would want him. Someone may want Rapp, especially if they're in need of a box type who's played in different schemes.

I will say it again (and I did it with my new mock draft): we should move A'Shawn Robinson. He will get us a mid third by himself, especially after the Super Bowl performance. He's a free agent after this year, along with Gaines, and we're not going to sign them both.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I will say it again (and I did it with my new mock draft): we should move A'Shawn Robinson. He will get us a mid third by himself, especially after the Super Bowl performance. He's a free agent after this year, along with Gaines, and we're not going to sign them both.

With the Rams trying to repeat, I keep A'Shawn, ... and I'd do everything I could to re-sign both he & Gaines following the season if possible. If not, I can better live with the potential 3'rd round compensatory pick in 2024 than losing him now for a 3'rd.
Other than Gaines & Robinson, our only 2023 possible free agency players of any real consequence are Havenstein & Edwards, and Havenstein could be another compensatory gain if our OT depth allows for it. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility by any means. It would probably be selling high too which is always what you want. But hopefully we keep him and he kills it again this year.