Our soft cushions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
I know Wade has been coaching for four decades but what in the world are we doing giving up such soft cushions to the receivers? I went back and watched the long pass to Gallup again - the one that took the ball down to the one yard line. It was first and twenty and, at the snap, we are giving the outside receivers a ten yard cushion. Johnson, playing safety in the deep, middle third is at the sticks, 20 yards deep. Gallup, on the top of the screen, runs a 12 yard out route (he's covered, not very good though, by Joyner). Peters, who is playing Cover 3 and has the deep third at the top of the screen, leaves his zone to cover Cooper who is wide open in the middle for a 12 yard completion. Johnson, who has the deep, middle third, has already backpedalled to the 17 yard line, 15 yards from Cooper and covering absolutely nobody. As Aikman pointed out on the replay, Peters should have stayed in his deep zone but watching it over, I understand what he saw. He thought Gallup was hooking up in the flats and was covered by Joyner so he left his zone to cover the wide-open Cooper (who I'm guessing was perceived to be the bigger threat). What Johnson is doing so far back is what has me puzzled. I understand not wanting to give up the big play over the top but that was ridiculous.

I'm glad that we figured out a way to finally stuff the run. I honestly think this was part of our problem: Donald was so intent on getting the sack record throughout the season that he was in pass-rush mode more often than he should have been. That opened up gaps to run through. Now that the regular season is over and the record is a thing of the past, he can focus on just doing his job which includes stopping the run and pass. I might be crazy thinking this, but it has crossed my mind.

As for our next opponent, I'd much rather play Philly as I think the Saints offense presents more of a challenge. I still don't trust our secondary. It seems like we can't go a game without a huge blown coverage or two and that could end up costing us the game. Still, I'm glad we are in position to have that to worry about;-)

Attachments

• Secondary.jpg
    Secondary.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 75

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Seems Wade has no faith in our ability to cover, so he has his guys playing off to avoid givibg up huge plays and hopes to hold teams to FGs. Problem is they still give uo big plays.

I expect Snead to carpet bomb the secondary in FA and the draft. Need a new Safety a couple of corners. One being either a solid FA signing if they rekwase Peters and a high pick to groom behind Talib.

This off-season will be all about the Defense. Add youth to DL, add a thumper ILB to replace Barron, and revamp the secondary.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
honestly I think you're over-thinking it a bit. the coverage was fine for a normal play, but it wasnt a normal play. it was an offscript play because littleton moved out of his rush lane and gave Dak an alley to scramble and buy more time. its tough to cover every wr for the typical 2-4 seconds, but to do it even longer is nearly impossible, especially in zone. if they keep dak in the pocket he likely is sacked or has to throw it away and this is a non issue. thats my 2 cents anyway

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I thought the defense played well, Gallup hurt us, but that is because Marcus Peters has been a dissapointment and IMO, I don't believe Wade realized that Peters did not have the ability to cover man to man. Peters likes the zone coverage, so he can improvise, which handcuffs Wade's scheme IMO.

Overall the game plan was great, the defensive line were discipline and as mad I was getting at Joyner, I'm starting to realize, it's because of Peters and now I understand why the Chiefs cut bait. Peters has ability, but from the neck up, he's worth a dime and I truly hope his blow coverage does not cost us in a close game.

janthony6

UDFA
Trying to force Dak to beat them by completing many passes short - Dak’s accuracy isn’t good so that would take a lot of time considering they had to abandon the run to catch up.

Smart game plan considering the qb we were playing.

Next week we likely have the Saints - hoping for Eagles but it’s likelk Saints. Brees lives for the dink so we can’t play this style against him.

Ellard80

Legend
yes it as confusing me also..

Dallas isn't good at the vertical passing game... they live on underneath routes and crosses, yet we were leaving them wide open.

However yes the run defense got it done.. and that was a key factor in winning.

RamWoodie

Legend
This was a down and distance situation. The fact is the Rams were in soft zone because of the yardage the Cowboys needed. The problem came when Dak broke contain...with his running ability he froze the coverage because he was getting close to the LOS which the defenders had to react to.

I don't think soft zone was a bad call there...it just didn't work out.

Ellard80

Legend
I thought the defense played well, Gallup hurt us, but that is because Marcus Peters has been a dissapointment and IMO, I don't believe Wade realized that Peters did not have the ability to cover man to man. Peters likes the zone coverage, so he can improvise, which handcuffs Wade's scheme IMO.

Overall the game plan was great, the defensive line were discipline and as mad I was getting at Joyner, I'm starting to realize, it's because of Peters and now I understand why the Chiefs cut bait. Peters has ability, but from the neck up, he's worth a dime and I truly hope his blow coverage does not cost us in a close game.

I think out secondary going to look at lot different next year. The mental competence of our secondary is highly questionable.

I can't see more than 1 or 2 being back next year - we are going to have to go younger and cheaper in the secondary also with Goff's contract looming.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I can't see more than 1 or 2 being back next year - we are going to have to go younger and cheaper in the secondary also with Goff's contract looming.

Agreed, that's why IMO, they let Joyner walk and move Talib to Safety. Then draft some young CB's and get ready to transition Peters out...Keep in mind one CB returning from injury Kevin Peterson was showing signs of being at minimum a nickle or dime CB and maybe compete for at RCB, but again, IMO, first round pick needs to be a CB then ILB.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Big picture, Dak had a lot of incompletions underneath. I'm guessing we wanted to force Dak to check down and force him to beat us that way. It worked.

I am not sure how I feel about Peters, but Talib has been great at CB this year. John John is great and Joyner will be gone - IMO we will need a S, ILB (for Barron), OLB (if we don't re-sign Fowler, which IMO we should) - all more than CB. Given our lack of depth at OL, WR (Kupp is an elite slot WR but we can't afford to have our offense hampered if one of our top three go down), backup QB - we drafted a ton of defensive depth last year - I want to focus on the D in FA and offense in the draft. I'm fine with drafting a few CBs for depth, but we will need starters at ILB, OLB and S - and we will have the cap soace

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
I noticed this mostly in the 4th, they wanted to keep the cowboys in front of them and in bounds, typical for a lot of teams. He needs to replace Joyner and get a safety that fits better for his system

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Seems Wade has no faith in our ability to cover, so he has his guys playing off to avoid givibg up huge plays and hopes to hold teams to FGs. Problem is they still give uo big plays.

I expect Snead to carpet bomb the secondary in FA and the draft. Need a new Safety a couple of corners. One being either a solid FA signing if they rekwase Peters and a high pick to groom behind Talib.

This off-season will be all about the Defense. Add youth to DL, add a thumper ILB to replace Barron, and revamp the secondary.
^^^ this. Peters and Talib will get burned going head to head with Gallup or Amari. Best to keep them contained rather than give up the big play.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Speaking of Peters, i have been happy with his play since Talib has been back, but he could have cost us the game last night. The cowboys first 14 points were on him with the PF penalty and the blown coverage on Gallup. He needs to be gone next season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The long pass to Gallup was a blown coverage. In the second half Wade had the defense in prevent. Don’t allow any long plays. Let them have slow time consuming drives and tighten it up in the red zone.

I didn’t like it but it worked. The second half was more boring than the first. And I instantly wondered why he’d do this. Maybe it’s to save the playbook. Why reveal anymore than they need to? They were up and in control. I think they knew they had it in the bag by the half.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
the blown coverage on Gallup

So Peters left Gallup to cover the dude crossing to the middle... Honest question, who was supposed to cover that guy? If Peters hadn't covered him, he would have been wide open. Either Peters or Joyner blew it covering him, or both failed to cover the right person.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
So Peters left Gallup to cover the dude crossing to the middle... Honest question, who was supposed to cover that guy? If Peters hadn't covered him, he would have been wide open. Either Peters or Joyner blew it covering him, or both failed to cover the right person.

tbh, at that point probably no one. one of the disadvantages of zone is there are always holes for wrs to get open. that deep in over the top of another wrs route was a hole in the coverage. the plan was to for the pressure to get there before a route like that would get open, but dak's scramble messed that up.

Ram65

Legend
I thought the cushions where too much. They were back on other plays too. No Talib on that play with Hill really playing off on the opposite side. The secondary looks confused far too often. Gallup was open early on that play and so was Cooper. I don't know what they are trying to do.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think it should have been Johnson. He was playing the deep middle third and our LBs were preoccupied with Zak. Johnson was so deep there wasn't anyone even close to him. Had he been on Cooper, Peters would have had no reason to leave his zone and let Gallup get deep.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Peters left Gallup to cover Amari bc thats where he thought Dak was going. So Joyner had to leave his position to catch Gallup.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Peters left Gallup to cover Amari bc thats where he thought Dak was going. So Joyner had to leave his position to catch Gallup.
But who the hell was Joyner covering? Looked like he was doing that "sit in the middle, cover nobody" thing again.