One Thought About the Next Left Tackle.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
i here people say Whitworth declined during the year. I'm not saying that its false or true.

But anyone have any evidence to support that conclusion? Seems likes its turning into a word of mouth type thing.

He just got beat a few times and very badly so it sticks in people's minds probably. Where as the first half of the season he was just down right dominating. But I think he had several nagging injuries to his shoulder and knee. He was still pro bowl caliber good. So I think his play did dip just slightly but it's not like he was ever bad in a game or even average. Just got beat a couple of times which frankly happens to everyone... it just didn't used to happen to him. So I think it scares some people. I don't have any reason to think he can't be as dominating for at least one more season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
i here people say Whitworth declined during the year. I'm not saying that its false or true.

But anyone have any evidence to support that conclusion? Seems likes its turning into a word of mouth type thing.
I would think that any OL'er who has started & played in a 18 wk period of time in the NFL is going to wear down as the season runs on...its natural progression would it not? Just so happens Andrew Whitworth plays one of the most demanding positions in the NFL next to the QB post. When you realize he is the oldest LT active in the 2017 season .....that alone says a lot. Speaking for myself I would not say that AW on field performance has declined much but he was moving better & quicker earlier in the season but that would take me back to my first sentence in my response.
I heard Greg Robinson is available.
Sad thing about when to take time to review the pending future Free Agents who are LT's ....Like GRob.....

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/left-tackle/

After Nate Solder who has been an excellent starting LT for the Elite NFL world Champions Pats for the last 7 seasons GRob might just be best of the rest of all the UFA listed LT's in 2018. If true that says a ton about the UFA LT's.

A very bad position for NFL teams who are in emergency need @ the Left Tackle post in 2018. :(
:sadwalk:

One would believe that any 2018 LT prospect in this years draft are going to come off the draft boards fast & heavy with many being over-drafted in the rounds in which they were obtained. This would affect the Rams too do to our current situation with a well aged 36 yr old starting LT.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He just got beat a few times and very badly so it sticks in people's minds probably. Where as the first half of the season he was just down right dominating. But I think he had several nagging injuries to his shoulder and knee. He was still pro bowl caliber good. So I think his play did dip just slightly but it's not like he was ever bad in a game or even average. Just got beat a couple of times which frankly happens to everyone... it just didn't used to happen to him. So I think it scares some people. I don't have any reason to think he can't be as dominating for at least one more season.
Even if it was 5 years from now, he'd probably still would be better than GRob at his best:baghead:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I fear that other more apparent needs with less value will be addressed before we are ready to replace Andrew Whitworth. He was good-great this year, but for how long? We know how important and Hard it is to pick a LT in the draft, and finally after two high 1st round busts in a row (Jason Smith and GROB) and free agent bust Jake Long, we lucked out in signing Whit. Andrew Kromer did a great job this year with the Oline, but I also know that Havenstein and Brown have commented on the advice Whitworth gave them that made them better. We need to pick a LT in this draft, so that Whit can help train his replacement.

I fear that we will push this off, thinking we can milk another year out of an old veteran when the end comes. Without a legit LT, we are SOL.
I think it's really clear we need depth all along the O-Line for sure! we also need better depth in several other area's, DL-LBers-CB's and Safeties! JMHO!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Consideration for Saffold as a potential interim option?
Played well as a rookie at LT.
When you intellectually review all the possible remedies for the Rams near future starting LT for Goff & McVay's offense ....IF LT Andrew Whitworth were to retire does any other member have a better prospect than Rodger Saffold? If you do let me know. In truth Rodger Saffold has always been our long term back up @ LT since the 2013 season.

I think it's really clear we need depth all along the O-Line for sure! we also need better depth in several other area's, DL-LBers-CB's and Safeties! JMHO!
If it were my decision I am NOT drafting any interior OL'ers but would consider drafting LT's for Kromer to groom. I would look to UFA'cy to sign a veteran OL'er. Here's who I would target:

Washington Redskins Spencer Long who has started @ RG/LG & center
NY/Giants Justin Pugh who has started @ RT/LG/RG
LA/Rams John Sullivan center

Last edited:

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I think the Rams should absolutely draft some tackle prospects for the future. Early (Rd 1-4) they should go for BPA so if a tackle is somehow the BPA, by all means take him. Note: I doubt the value will be there in the early rounds as tackles often get over drafted especially left tackles.

Reading about Whitworth's career path just reinforces to me that the Rams need to start looking/planning for a young LT candidate to groom now.

Notes about Whitworth's career:
Whitworth was a 2nd round pick (#55) that started from day one at LG in 2006. One primary reason he lasted until round 2 was that he was a 24/25 (old for the draft) rookie.
His first three years were primarily at left guard with spot duty at left tackle to fill in for injuries.
He did not become a starting LT until his fourth season when he was 27/28 years old.
He did no make the pro bowl until 2012 when was 30/31 years old.

Current Rams Roster LT Alternatives:

Darryl Williams 24 years old: He was the primary back up this past season but with his limited experience, in-game performances, and smaller size (6-5 305lbs) I doubt he is viewed as a long-term replacement. Best role - cost effective depth rotational player. Contract Note: He will also be a restricted restricted FA in 2018.

Cornelius Lucas 26 years old: He has played 36 games in his four year career but was cut from Detroit who opted for Greg Robinson.
His impressive size and frame (6-9 330lbs) is intriguing. I have read he has good feet for his size but he may actually be too tall to be effective in the NFL. Contract Note: He will be a FA in 2018 so if he is resigned that will tell me if the Rams see something in him worth developing.

Rob Havenstein 25 years old: Many may laugh at me writing this but I think he is the best option of all the Rams tackles on the current roster. Under Kromer (and Whitworth's) tutelage he played well for the most part and showed a lot of growth. Some claim he does not have the ideal feet for a LT but he has the desired size (6-8 335lbs) and with Kromer as his position coach he may actually have a chance to do well on the left side. Contract Note: He only has one year left on his four year rookie contract.

Rodger Saffold 29 years old: For me he is only an emergency option at this point in his career especially since he had pro bowl caliber season at LG in 2017. Contract Note: Saffold only has 1 year left on his contract and I think he can actually opt out of his final year and become a free agent.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think no doubt we need to get our next LT in here ASAP to start learning from Whitworth.

But I also think Whitworth's decline was much less than people think. I think Jared got really used to holding onto the ball for longer than he should due mainly to the Lines great protection and also to Jared's ability to get confident in the pocket and fearless to an extent. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a knock on Jared because I think he is a great QB and I am one of his biggest supporters. But I do think as the season went on he took advantage of the great protection to hold onto the ball longer when needed. In many of these scenarios is where you see Whitworth's protection finally break down.

Towards the latter half of the year when Jared held the ball longer is where you started to see Whitworth so called decline. Not only does this result in more sacks and pressures given up, but this also wears on a Olineman during the course of the game.

But yes, get a future LT in here. For depth now and for future replacement

Problem is at LT is much like the QB of the offensive line. and when QB's get old it almost happens overnight. We can't be caught with our pants down when Whitworth's body decides to stop doing what he wants it to. It will happen sooner than you think. See Orlando Pace.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
This is the best I can find so far to see if he is declining.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7804

He gave up 6 sacks this year 0 last year - however we throw downfield a lot more than the Bengals so I'm not exactly sure how that works out.

I can't find game logs that show sacks given up.

I'd also say that half of those sacks were on Goff as well. When you hold on to the ball for 3 or more seconds in the pocket and don't step up you're gonna have issues.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
This is exactly why I want Mike McGlinchey. He's a lot like Whitworth was coming out.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
This is the best I can find so far to see if he is declining.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7804

He gave up 6 sacks this year 0 last year - however we throw downfield a lot more than the Bengals so I'm not exactly sure how that works out.

I can't find game logs that show sacks given up.

Yeah, and if you remember he didn't have any sacks or even hardly any QB hits the first 5 or 6 games or so. So that means that all of those sacks happened in the second half of the season which corroborates the opinion that he was wearing down as the season progressed.
Look I am not down on Andrew Whitworth of anything, but I do think that it is prudent to address the LOT position ASAP. And this year's draft is as good a time as any.........

~ArkyRamsFan~

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Problem is at LT is much like the QB of the offensive line. and when QB's get old it almost happens overnight. We can't be caught with our pants down when Whitworth's body decides to stop doing what he wants it to. It will happen sooner than you think. See Orlando Pace.

This is what I fear.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I've been thinking about this too.. We don't have to use a high draft pick on a LT...but I think we need to draft this year .. at least by the 5th round.

Our O-line playing so well this year actually bought us some time to fill in some other places...

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I heard Greg Robinson is available.
200.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well I suppose they could draft an OG who could back up Saff with Saff backin up LT.

Just don't think the Rams are in position to fix LT. And that's not the worst thing in the world. Most teams' seasons are done if they lose their LT. And the rush to replace their old LT is why Cincinnati let Big Whit get away.

Rams might just need to roll the dice there, while they upgrade other positions that are strong in the draft where they pick.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I know this sounds crazy but ... how about trying G-Rob out as an inexpensive DT?
Wish I was kidding but I'm not. For depth?
Wouldn't his physical strength be good for that? And he doesn't have to think too too much, just react and attack.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Could see our next LT be a B-tier FA in the offseason. Whitworth and Kromer are excellent teachers in their respective roles and their evaluations on O-line are based on high-IQ players

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is true but I fear there might not be a LT that is BPA with our picks unfortunately. However just like jumping the gun that 'Goff is a bust', I'm jumping the gun that there might not be any LT talent when we pick. It's waaaaaay to early to know and I KNOW Snead has his crap together to recognize talent and BPA. It will be interesting to say the least.

This is exactly why I want Mike McGlinchey. He's a lot like Whitworth was coming out.

Outside of of maybe one, I am not crazy about any OTs in this draft. I will be tough to get a good one where the Rams draft this year. There will be better players at other positions of need IMO.