Oldschools mock draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Been a crazy couple months at work and away from work. Haven't taken the time for this until now and haven't done as much as I did in years past to look at some of these prospects but we'll give this a shot. The only free agent of note I think we'll sign going forward will be Kyle Fuller. He signed with Denver last year and there were very high expectations for him but he never lived up to that and was benched. I think opposite Ramsey he can shine and allow Rochell another year to grow, we also learned recently he played most of last year hurt so hope for big things from him too. I do also think we bring back OBJ but we'll see how that goes and when he's available.

Round 3: No. 104 overall

James Cook RB Georgia

We just met with him and while I think he's likely a 4th round pick we know that the Giants met with him at the combine, his pro day and brought him in for a visit so if we want him we may have to pull the trigger here. He's right now going to be a rotational guy with Akers and Hendo(who I think he replaces eventually) and Funk. Good speed in game good hands and will be perfectly suited for our zone scheme. Not sure he ever becomes the man but with Akers he makes a very nice 1-2 punch.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnbRIiMHHBc

Round 4: No. 142 overall

Isaiah Thomas Edge Oklahoma

We all know there is a need at edge and I think Thomas can come in be a rotational guy and be coached up. Needs some work but the game is there to grow.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V298e8ws8k

Round 5: No. 175 overall

Spencer Burford G/T UTSA

Has starting experience at both tackle spots and guard. Has all the physical traits to start at RG just has to go in and earn the job. Looks to be a good pulling guard and getting to the second level in the NFL.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_2bgtGic8

Round 6: No. 211 overall

Derrick Deese Jr San Jose St

Son of Niner OL Derrick Deese. As you'd expect being the son of a very good NFL OLine he can block and he's good at it. Adequate in the pas game but has ability just needs coaching and IMO needs body work maintaining better fitness.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP7PCnoQhmo

Round 6: No. 212 overall

Cobie Durant CB South Carolina St

My intention was to take a CB in the 3rd and still think we might but with the recent visit with Cooks and the likelihood he's gone very soon after our 3rd round pick I pivoted. This kid reminds me of Courtland Finnegan I think he could be a gem on day 3. Can play inside in the slot our out and will be good behind Ramsey, Fuller, Long and Rochell.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77ZUdXkqOMk

Round 6: No. 218 overall

Chris Paul G/T Tulsa

Big man that knows how to block and how finish blocks. Started at tackle the last two years but should kick into guard in the NFL. Biggest things about him that Snead and McVay will love is his character and leadership. I've seen this talked about in almost every draft profile and interview/discussion about him. He's the prototype McVay lineman just need to work on getting to the 2nd level but has a year or two to grow and eventually take over for Edwards at LG (we can't pay all the OL free agents like we learned with Corbett).

Round 7: No. 238 overall

Bubba Bolden S Miami

Good in coverage but can use some work learning from Nick Scott on some tackling. He'll have a year or two playing behind our starting three basically with Rapp as the 3rd safety. Biggest thing with him is he'll come in day one and be on teams, had 2 blocked FG in 2020 vs Clemson.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p26UVJ2vw4o

Round 7: No. 253 overall

Zyon Gilbert CB FAU

Rounding it out with a project corner. Very possible he could be a UDFA but this late in the 7th round does it make a big difference? Good size at 6'1" 180lbs and a good athlete and isn't afraid to tackle a running back. CB/DB is my top need and I round out this mock with a 3rd selection there.

Priority UDFA:

Julian Diaz P Nevada
We just brought him in for a workout and I think he's one of the targets at punter to compete in camp.

Zakoby McClain LB Auburn

Snead brings in an Auburn alum but as an UDFA this time. Smaller LB that we seem to like and gets a chance to come in an earn a ST spot and learn.

Isaiah Weston WR Northern Iowa
Decent speed but has had some injury issues in college. Another guy who will likely be a PS candidate but could grow and surprise.

That's all I'm going with for now. Whatcha think?

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Really like the Buford pick. Kid seems heady as he had great pass offs and looks to be a natural in a zone blocking scheme. He's got a good level of nastiness and just needs to learn better hand technique (could have been called holding in the pros). Solid draft!

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Good job overall, but I don’t think Weston will go undrafted after posting a 4.42 forty and 40” vertical at the Combine.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good job overall, but I don’t think Weston will go undrafted after posting a 4.42 forty and 40” vertical at the Combine.
Yeah I can see it though most mocks I've browsed had him in the comp pick range of the 7th so went with him, mostly was looking at an alternative in the 7th round with those 3 udfa.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I like it a lot. You get an A-

You would get an A+ but im
Not sold on Deese. I think there may be better TE’s around at that pick.

I particularly like Burford and Paul.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there may be better TE’s around at that pick.
Always possible but I think there's going to be a good sized run on TE in rounds 3-4. As always I don't really worry about those things in mocks but I think it's going to happen. I also like 4 or 5 TE more than Deese but waited a round here because in my book Thomas and Deese in the 6th is better than one of those TE and an Edge in the 6th.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Well done @OldSchool

While looking @ Buford did you break down McCormack at all? I had him as an RB to watch, don't think he is a really good fit for us but if he slid I like him as a priority udfa

Cook is all over the map, I see him as high as 3 and some have him in the 20s. I like him but was hoping we were able to wait until our 3rd pick for an RB

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well done @OldSchool

While looking @ Buford did you break down McCormack at all? I had him as an RB to watch, don't think he is a really good fit for us but if he slid I like him as a priority udfa

Cook is all over the map, I see him as high as 3 and some have him in the 20s. I like him but was hoping we were able to wait until our 3rd pick for an RB
He is a nice alternative not sure where he'll go I didn't look into him much. Cook just seems like a McVay type back he really seems the perfect match to take over for Hendo after this year.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fantastic, and I could definitely see it.

You may be onto something too - most of our first picks tend to be offensive under McVay, Rapp the only exception.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As always @OldSchool stupendous evaluations & selections. Derrick Deese is the TE I've been looking at and I hope Chris Paul is there too combined with Buford (great OL name) would be a nice haul for Carberry & Nick Jones.

Julian Diaz been reading up on him and I believe he's a diamond in the rough. Big leg and that's a hell of a program that Jay Norvell built at Nevada because of their offense Diaz didn't punt enough to qualify, but if he did, he would have been in the top 10.

The key is adding another CB so not to have to draft CB early and take Cook as you suggest. Fuller would be a great addition as would Bryce Callahan, who is a Darious Williams clone.