OL continuity #s, and the anomaly that was 2022

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
We've heard the term "continuity" applied to the offensive line. It's hard to overstate the importance of this factor. While, of course, talent at individual positions is always key, the OL functions as a unit, and keeping the same 5 guys on the field game in and game out clearly impacts the offense's overall performance.

Continuity is a function of two factors: (1) clearly defined starters (i.e. knowing who the "best 5" are on the roster), and (2) health.

In 2021 and 2023, when the offense found success, we had both. In 2022, we had neither.
These numbers really illustrate this:

In 2021, the OL at each of the 5 positions with the most snaps (David Edwards, Austin Corbett, Brian Allen, Rob Havenstein, Andrew Whitworth) played 90.9% of the total snaps in the regular season.
In 2023, the OL at each of the 5 positions with the most snaps (Steve Avila, Coleman Shelton, A.J. Jackson, Kevin Dotson, Rob Havenstein) played 86.7% of the total snaps in the regular season.

In 2022, an overabundance of injuries and rotating fill-ins resulted in a top 5 (Rob Havenstein, Coleman Shelton, Matta Skura, Ty Nsekhe, Oday Aboushi) that accounted for only 58.0% of the total snaps (and that does not even factor in the insane number of combinations among the dozen or so OL who saw significant playing time).

There's only so much a team can do to ensure health but, clearly, there is a strong argument for "getting the band back" together and keeping the same starting 5 in 2024. At most, I might target one spot for an upgrade in the draft (less likely to do so in FA - our best FA option is re-signing Dotson!), but I like the idea of the unit staying pretty much intact.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I would like to see and upgrade at center and there seem to be some good ones coming out in this draft. Maybe find a good one in the 3rd round.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Agree on keeping the band together. Would also like to feel like we had a reliable answer at backup center and LT/swing tackle.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think if there was any thought of not looking at Shelton as a long term starter they would have played McAllister until Allen was healthy. That was why Coleman insisted upon the contract structure he got. Because the Rams knew if he played well they then had stability at a crucial OL position. Coleman has the confidence of Stafford and has played well overall. Getting the correct OL calls is an underrated part of playing the position. The fact that Stafford was upright most of the season proved Shelton was doing his part. IMO they have committed to Shelton unless his salary demands are unreasonable. But if they commit the money they were earmarking for Allen to Shelton they will have no problem retaining Coleman.

As I have said in previous posts, IMO the decision and potential turnover will be on the right side wth Rob eating up a huge part of the OL budget at $14.7M next season. If they commit to paying Rob that much for one year, then they will have problems affording Dotson as well. If it came to a choice between the two I would take Dotson hands down over Havenstein who is getting close to the end of his career at 32 years old. So IMO decisions on the OL on the right side take precedent over extending Shelton which IMO will be a no brainer.

I think their original thought was to use Noteboom as a bridge but his foot injury has the potential of being a chronic problem. I see them cutting their losses and drafting a OT to play RT after releasing both Noteboom and Havenstein. That rookie will give them an option to move him to LT next year. Hopefully Arcuri can play swing OT but I'm not holding my breath.

So I think LT, LG and center are set for 2024 with the rightside TBD.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
And while at it, @oldnotdead, (and not saying he's Andrew), why is Hav done at 31 and Whitworth made it to 40, playing usually the better edge.
Why don't you give it a fucking rest. Jesus.
We got rid of Fred Miller, (in '01 I believe), and spent the next 15 flippin' years trying to find a new one till Hav.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Of course continuity and health are paramount. Nobody knows that better than our staff. Wendell was terrific this year. I have the utmost trust in he, McVay and Snead. We will field an excellent OL next year. Bank it. Will it be the same 5? 4 of them? 3 of them? Who cares? As long as it's an excellent OL.

dang

Legend
Of course continuity and health are paramount. Nobody knows that better than our staff. Wendell was terrific this year. I have the utmost trust in he, McVay and Snead. We will field an excellent OL next year. Bank it. Will it be the same 5? 4 of them? 3 of them? Who cares? As long as it's an excellent OL.
And while at it, @oldnotdead, (and not saying he's Andrew), why is Hav done at 31 and Whitworth made it to 40, playing usually the better edge.
Why don't you give it a fucking rest. Jesus.
We got rid of Fred Miller, (in '01 I believe), and spent the next 15 flippin' years trying to find a new one till Hav.
Some people put the need to be right over EVERYTHING else. It’s a nauseating unhealthy obsession.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
...as opposed to nauseatingly healthy obsessions.