OK - Who is really happy with the Gurley pick and who would you had taken?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I will be the first to admit that I was shocked and disappointed with the Gurley pick but I will also admit that for me the top 10 picks could not have gone worse! All the players (Cooper, White, Scherff, Flowers) I wanted were picked (And, I honestly thought one of them would be available to the Rams at that point) in the top 9. So, with those players already picked I guess I would had gone with Parker or Peat. But, with that being said, I would had been thrilled with a HEALTHY Gurley (I think he was really special before his injury!) and maybe all those reports that he should be as good as new once he completes Rehab are true (Hopefully, they are!) but I have to admit that I will be keeping my fingers crossed every time he gets hit.

Now, if Jeff Fisher would just make an announcement that the Rams have made contract agreements with Barksdale AND Blalock I will feel much, much better about the Gurley pick!!!
Man I feel the same way! All 4 of the guys I wanted were gone and I was very confident they would be there.
With that being said I'm happy with Gurley ( just very concerned with his ACL and our recent issues with it) but from hearing Snead and Fishers presser I feel comfortable now they know not to even rush it. Make sure it's completely healed regardless of timeline.
Hell I think I'd hold him from the first 4-6 games just to be sure! lol

On Blalock and Barksdale, I'd love to have them but not sure if the financials would permit that (them wanting to much still).

IMO better because he also chews up clock and grinds on the defense while keeping your O-line fresher. O-linemen almost always prefer run blocking because it puts them in an offensive position - which is easier than having to pass block.
Agreed. The notion that you can get a running back in later rounds doesn't appeal to me because the same can be said for receivers. And like you said, good backs impact the games in more ways

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why did you have Gordon as better back? Just curious. Is it just the injury?

I think it is very obvious from tape that Gurley is a WAY better faster stronger better break tackling RB. I think most people agree with this. He is an AP like talent.

Acceleration. Gordon's burst is insane. But we'll see, I'm definitely pulling for Gurley since he's the guy in horns.

ausmurp

Starter
Acceleration. Gordon's burst is insane. But we'll see, I'm definitely pulling for Gurley since he's the guy in horns.

I understand your concern with the ACL it is def valid. But Gordon's speed, acceleration, power, vision, etc none of it is even close to Gurley and you'll see. I watched Gordon play a lot, I'm a B10 fan and he is not even close to Gurley's athletic status. He is def more healthy though :)

Memphis Ram

Legend
Perhaps I missed it, but has anyone not happy with the selection offered an alternative selection yet?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

I did the shuffle after Gurley pick was announced

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I probably would of taken Parker if no trade down was available. But having time to think about it and seeing how many other backs have had ACL surgery in college and have had great careers, as well as watching some more videos of him. I love this pick.

It undeniable that we now have a franchise, build your team around type of player on offense now.

NE won 2 SB's with Tom Brady only managing games early in his career and a great running game. Seattle has been to 2 SB's with a RB being the focal point. SF also went to 2 consecutive NFC Championships with a run first approach. In NE and Seattle both QB's improved their games.

If Gurley is what he is projected to be then we now have that guy, that player we can build an offense around. Foles was drafted higher than Brady and same round as Wilson. Maybe he can come along and develop like those guys did.

For all the talk about how you have to pass the ball in this league, recent history has proved that you can ground, pound and play great defense to a championship.

If nothing else this plays to Fishers strength as a coach. He had a similar model in Tennessee. Got his back in George and QB in McNair and got to a SB but lost to the greatest team of all time.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I said it before the draft - 3 years from now, Gurley will probably be the best RB in the NFL.

So yea, I love the pick.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
For me, as soon as Scherff went off the board I was pissed; wanted Flowers next----think he will be an above average guard, then wanted to trade down and get ol later, along with an extra pick. I wanted the best player at his position in the draft so, I didn't even want Parker. We ended up taking not only the best RB in the draft, but the best RB since AP, so I completely understand the pick----a back who makes the whole offense better. I still want olinemen though, there's still some good guys left on the board. The injury is a concern but I expect a complete recovery; guys get hurt playing football, some before the draft, some after (see Clowney from last year), so it's a gamble to draft any player.
Anyway, on to the rest of the draft and fix that dam oline, please.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I'm very happy with the pick....he is a stud. ;)

Go Rams............ ;)

Dickersn29

UDFA
Man I feel the same way! All 4 of the guys I wanted were gone and I was very confident they would be there.
With that being said I'm happy with Gurley ( just very concerned with his ACL and our recent issues with it) but from hearing Snead and Fishers presser I feel comfortable now they know not to even rush it. Make sure it's completely healed regardless of timeline.
Hell I think I'd hold him from the first 4-6 games just to be sure! lol

On Blalock and Barksdale, I'd love to have them but not sure if the financials would permit that (them wanting to much still).

Dickersn29

UDFA
I think once Scherff and Flowers went off the board they should've traded down got another pick and still may have gotten Gurley later in the rd but Fisher said they had "Mariota and Gurley" on Top of their Draft board so if that's the case then they were happy to see Gurley at #10

I hear a lot of people saying rb wasn't a need since we have Tre Mason but Gurley is a lot Bigger" and breaks tackles like AP and could be special, probably the best prospect they have had since Dickerson and if he's anything close to that then we got a steal, lets just hope Gurley recovers fully and can play this year? of course the OL needs to be better and I think the Rams addressed that in this draft, having backs like Mason and Gurley will force teams to put 8 in the box and open up passing lanes for Foles which will allow the offense to move down the field easier.

I personally like the pick even though rb didn't appear to be a need I can see why they picked Gurley, he was the best available talent at that pick and may be the next Eric Dickerson! Go Rams

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
You all are worried about Gurley's ACL injury, and I'm hoping he pans out so that I won't get made fun of when I wear his jersey. Unless he is great, that joke is just to easy for some people to pass up.

lockdnram21

Legend
I will be the first to admit that I was shocked and disappointed with the Gurley pick but I will also admit that for me the top 10 picks could not have gone worse! All the players (Cooper, White, Scherff, Flowers) I wanted were picked (And, I honestly thought one of them would be available to the Rams at that point) in the top 9. So, with those players already picked I guess I would had gone with Parker or Peat. But, with that being said, I would had been thrilled with a HEALTHY Gurley (I think he was really special before his injury!) and maybe all those reports that he should be as good as new once he completes Rehab are true (Hopefully, they are!) but I have to admit that I will be keeping my fingers crossed every time he gets hit.

Now, if Jeff Fisher would just make an announcement that the Rams have made contract agreements with Barksdale AND Blalock I will feel much, much better about the Gurley pick!!!
I wouldn't Barksdale is terrible would RT her start the rookie then pay him

Dickersn29

UDFA
You all are worried about Gurley's ACL injury, and I'm hoping he pans out so that I won't get made fun of when I wear his jersey. Unless he is great, that joke is just to easy for some people to pass up.

your a "Gurley man and we want to pump you up" ... you mean something like that lol"

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm good with it. Only Tier 1 talent remaining. Gotta take the risk with the knee but without it, I think he's gone before #10.

And I don't subscribe to the theory that some do that HBs aren't valuable. The very good/great/elite ones are. They have a greater impact on wins and losses than any other position on the field except the QB.

Athos

Legend
The first 9 picks sucked hard. But it was to be expected with a weak top tier talent draft. Last year basically poached the prospects from this year.

It was either Gurley/Parker/Trade-Down.

We got an elite offensive piece which is what I wanted most out of this draft. If that knee is 100% and we have even just an average O-line, we have the best back in the league. What's more, we got what I wanted. A guy with some fairly soft hands out of the backfield.

So Gurley pretty much helps in the run game AND the passing game. Barring White or Cooper, that's the best scenario.

Still don't believe we have a legit QB prospect yet, but next year should be much better. And provided these O-line pieces fit, we will FINALLY be at a place where we can really wheel and deal for a generational talent to put us over the top.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The first 9 picks sucked hard. But it was to be expected with a weak top tier talent draft. Last year basically poached the prospects from this year.

It was either Gurley/Parker/Trade-Down.

We got an elite offensive piece which is what I wanted most out of this draft. If that knee is 100% and we have even just an average O-line, we have the best back in the league. What's more, we got what I wanted. A guy with some fairly soft hands out of the backfield.

So Gurley pretty much helps in the run game AND the passing game. Barring White or Cooper, that's the best scenario.

Still don't believe we have a legit QB prospect yet, but next year should be much better. And provided these O-line pieces fit, we will FINALLY be at a place where we can really wheel and deal for a generational talent to put us over the top.

The first nine picks could not had gone any worse for me personally as I kept waiting for that one or two surprise picks that would had allowed Scherff and/or Flowers to drop to the Rams but that never happened! But, hopefully, in the near future we will all be looking back and saying how lucky we were that Gurley fell to the Rams (And, I honestly feel if he can get and stay healthy we WILL be saying that!)!

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I'm actually pretty excited about the Gurley pick. Other options were gone, & a trade-down might have netted us Gordon, but the knock on him is that he's a one-dimensional RB. In one of his seasons at Georgia, Gurley was the best WR they had--literally. He can make up for not taking Parker all by himself. He is such a dual-threat, defenses will HAVE to account for him every time he is on the field, as they once had to do for Faulk. Play-action with Gurley on the field will be deadly--defenses will freeze until they know who's getting the ball. Gurley has the potential to make guys like Alex Bayer a star. Plus, if his knee weren't healing up well, why would he even be able to video himself running on a treadmill??

No knock on Tre Mason--I think he's still a really good RB, and I'm still excited about his potential running behind an improved OL, but he's not necessarily a dual-threat back; and, if HE were to get injured, who's behind him? Cunningham & Stacy were OK, but Stacy had no 3rd gear, & Cunningham did OK, but not great. When those guys spelled Mason, it was OK, but if Mason is in to spell Gurley??? "git yer cold cuts! git yer cold cuts!"

Without picking Gurley, we'd still have no identity, and we'd have to rely on Foles to be "that guy"--2013 Foles, sure, but no idea who we're going to get in 2015. A healthy Gurley, & by all accounts he's right on schedule to make a Gore-type recovery, has a chance to define the Rams in a way that no other pick would have. On top of this, if Foles really turns out to be "that guy", and our OL shapes up.... "git yer cold cuts! git yer cold cuts!"

If I had to make another pick, it probably would've been Trey Waynes--again, Johnson & Jenkins & Gaines are OK, but if you have a chance at an upgrade, one that might lock down WR's and make that QB pause just long enough for any one of our many #1 DL picks to demolish him, it would be worth it. But we didn't, and I'M FIRED UP!!!