Cam Akers injury, rehab & return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Hendy was better than Akers up until the point the game slowed down for him. From there, which was down the stretch, Akers was the superior back.

Think we will need to agree to disagree on this too. Never said Hendy was shit. Just that every time a window was open for him to own it he has failed to do so. That's not gonna change IMO.
Akers surpassed Hendo big time by the time the end of the year came around. Hendo is no slouch, but Akers to me went up another level and would have only improved in his 2nd year. Add in that the game would have slowed down for him much more, and we have us a stud at RB. Just sucks that it's gone down the way it has. I hope surgical outcomes have improved enough to give him a great shot at regaining his form.

Ram65

Legend
Feel bad for Akers and the Rams. He was ready to explode. Good luck rehabing.

Darn it. Henderson and Jones have to step up. I think have to look for someone else. Haven't read about all the options. I would kick the tires with L Bell. You never know. McVay with Rams players may be able to reel him in and get the best out of him.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
You know who would be great and is a current back up, Hunt. Think there is probably no way we can pry him from the Browns though, particularly since Chubb tore his ACL later last season, but, damn, he'd be perfect for us.

I really think Henderson is more then talented enough and potentially more talented then Akers, but dude sprains his ankle putting his cleats on. If he can stay healthy, we have very little drop off, just worse depth. As I said before, I'd see what Duke Johnson has going on.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Agree with Akers also being the bigger back than all the RB’s by 15lbs.
Henderson had trouble reading his opening’s.Cam missed a few as well,but not many.I think Funk has good vision & will keep things tight.
Les - Snead talked about Cam playing hurt in the Playoffs & Jones was ready to be the next RB up.Calais was on special teams & KR’s a couple times.
Ottis (Anderson ?) is an intriguing udrfa that Snead seems to find.He picked up Richardson & Zeke up late.Tre Mason was a disappointment,but had to earn his carries his rookie season game 4. Gurley as well his rookie season.He had a breakout game against Arizona.
—The Rams have been down this road before,with different results.If you look at Malcom Brown you see he was also a Udrfa by Snead.Mcvay’s rookie season that RB from Dallas got hurt before training camp as well & never really suited up ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You know who would be great and is a current back up, Hunt. Think there is probably no way we can pry him from the Browns though, particularly since Chubb tore his ACL later last season, but, damn, he'd be perfect for us.

I really think Henderson is more then talented enough and potentially more talented then Akers, but dude sprains his ankle putting his cleats on. If he can stay healthy, we have very little drop off, just worse depth. As I said before, I'd see what Duke Johnson has going on.
I’d say let’s see what the first preseason has to offer ? What do you know about Calis,Jones,or Funk ?
Henderson won’t play in the preseason & is coming off an injury.
— Duke Jones flat out Sucks IMO.He is a 3rd down RB at best.

Go ask Ray Rice first about beating his pregnant wife first before signing Hunt.Maybe kicking & slapping is a better option ? I say either way both are wrong choices.
Duke though shy’s away from any contact.

Last edited:

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

Agree with Hunt. I actually made a comment to a buddy of mine last year before the draft that we'd be smart to trade for him while his value was low. Browns not letting him go after Chubb's injury last year.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Hendy was better than Akers up until the point the game slowed down for him. From there, which was down the stretch, Akers was the superior back.

Think we will need to agree to disagree on this too. Never said Hendy was shit. Just that every time a window was open for him to own it he has failed to do so. That's not gonna change IMO.
No problem. Won't be the last time we agree to disagree, Though it would help me in the future to understand your point
if you gave examples or data that back up your statements because I don't remember Hendo not stepping up and delivering.
And I also said that AKers was the better back .
But anyway. Not that important.
Love what you bring to ROD. :fistbump1: :beer2:

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
As much as I love Eric gotta say I'm glad he's not a decision maker:

Ugh. Do hope he is saying that just to be nice.
I would Take Adrian Peterson over Gurley every day of the week, If we had to sign a vet.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
For those interested here are some DR's explaining everything about Cams
injury including process, possible complications and general outlook of the injury.

They say there is a 70% chance of full recovery. fortunately Cam is still a very young man
That will no Doubt increase his chances

View: https://youtu.be/lFwBVlNvrd4

View: https://youtu.be/1Pue2-Wmc4c?t=50

Love you Cam wishing you a successful recovery!!!!

Last edited:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
We will rally around Darrell Henderson and Jake Funk, and we will have a good run game

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Matthew Stafford is worth the price we paid for him and Sean McVay is the genius he is touted to be they should be able to overcome the loss of a second year back who by no means was established to begin with. Like Many, I saw a bright future for Akers but its not like we lost some massive production that our offense was counting on. The threat of Stafford and our offensive schemes should open up room for even lesser backs to remain productive. Stafford is meant to be our offensive star now, we don't need 2017 Gurley to be efficient.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
For those interested here are some DR's explaining everything about Cams
injury including process, possible complications and general outlook of the injury.

They say there is a 70% chance of full recovery. fortunately Cam is still a very young man
That will no Doubt increase his chances

View: https://youtu.be/lFwBVlNvrd4

View: https://youtu.be/1Pue2-Wmc4c?t=50

Love you Cam wishing you a successful recovery!!!!

Fingers crossed.

I have no doubt that Cam Akers will be able to recover and play NFL football again. He's young, an elite athlete, and has the best medical and rehabilitation staff in the world to available him.

But will he ever be the same?

Will he always be just a bit off, or a fraction less explosive, in a sport where those tiny difference can separate stars from JAGs?

Will this make him susceptible to future injury? If yes, how much longer will his NFL career really be?

Nobody really knows. We can't predict the future, and we also don't have a reliable sample size of 22 year old RBs suffering this injury to make predictions from.

Based on other athletes that have suffered this injury - be it at other positions in the NFL, or in other sports - there is real cause for concern. It can be career ender, be it immediately, or in a few years' time as an athlete fizzles out.

But we're also in somewhat uncharted territory! Hopefully, since we do have such an unreliable sample size, Cam can be the first big success story, and who future RBs look to for inspiration when they tear an achilles! I wouldn't put it past him. I've got my fingers crossed for him, because he seems like a great young man. He's also a great talent, and it would be a shame to not see him do this thing, Rams fan or not. And as huge Rams fans, we've all got a particular interest in seeing him excel.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I dunno. I certainly hope someone behind Henderson can step up and be that depth we need. When Henderson goes down, I don't know if the inexperience behind him will limit McVay's play calling. I would feel a lot better if we picked up a vet RB. Someone who can pick up the blitz and pick up some of the slack. Henderson is not a carry the load kind of back. They wouldn't need to give a vet RB 250 plus carries. Just provide some stability in the run game.

nighttrain

Legend
I dunno. I certainly hope someone behind Henderson can step up and be that depth we need. When Henderson goes down, I don't know if the inexperience behind him will limit McVay's play calling. I would feel a lot better if we picked up a vet RB. Someone who can pick up the blitz and pick up some of the slack. Henderson is not a carry the load kind of back. They wouldn't need to give a vet RB 250 plus carries. Just provide some stability in the run game.
Rams a need another RB and Bell is out there, geter done Sean
train

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Anyone remember when the Rams picked up C J Anderson and what he did for them. There will be some good backs released during final cuts,

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor