Ogletree's move to middle key to Rams defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-rams-linebackers-20160327-story.html

For the first time in eight years, the Rams are set to begin a season with a new middle linebacker.

Alec Ogletree, a first-round draft pick in 2013, is replacing James Laurinaitis, who signed recently with the New Orleans Saints after being released by the Rams.

Ogletree, 24, played the weak-side linebacker position his first two seasons. Now he will take on much more responsibility in the middle.

Ogletree, 6 feet 2 and 245 pounds, got off to a fast start in 2015 before he suffered a season-ending ankle injury in Week 4 against the Arizona Cardinals. The situation enabled Mark Barron to move into a hybrid safety/linebacker role in the final year of his contract.

Barron finished the season as the team's leading tackler, and the Rams this month re-signed him to a five-year contract reportedly worth $45 million. He is set to play on the weak side.

Former UCLA standout Akeem Ayers is on track to start again at the strong-side position. Ayers played three-plus seasons for the Tennessee Titans and part of one for the New England Patriots before signing with the Rams before last season.

Bryce Hager, a seventh-round draft pick last year from Baylor, and Cameron Lynch, an undrafted free agent from Syracuse, also are on the roster. So the Rams might attempt to bolster the group with a veteran free-agent before the draft.

But Ogletree will be the key.

Coach Jeff Fisher and General Manager Les Snead said Ogletree's intelligence would enable him to smoothly transition to the middle.

"He's a very smart player," Snead said. "So he can handle the mental side. He's got plenty of size but he's also fast and quick."

Laurinaitis departed as the Rams' all-time leading tackler, a veteran who knew every nuance of coordinator Gregg Williams' 4-3 scheme.

Ogletree said he learned from playing alongside Laurinaitis.

"He's a great player and, pretty much, he helped me since the day I walked in," Ogletree said. "It was sad to see him go but I take the position knowing that I learned some stuff from him as far as how to be a leader on the field. How to be accountable. Just be there in the time of need. Just be dependable."

This will be the first time Ogletree will play middle linebacker in more than spot duty.

"It will be a different experience now that I have to know everything that goes on and basically be the quarterback of the defense," he said.

Ogletree said he was prepared to spend extra time preparing for the challenge. He will not change the way he plays, he said, but he is cognizant of the added responsibilities that come with playing middle linebacker.

"I do have to change my mind-set of having to tell somebody what they need to know," he said. "Playing [middle linebacker], you have to know all the other 10 positions."

The Rams have the 15th overall pick, two second-round picks and slots in the third, fourth and sixth rounds.

Barron is now in the fold for the long term and Snead has spoken of a desire to extend Ogletree before he becomes eligible for free agency, but depth is an immediate issue at linebacker.

The Rams are in need of a top receiver and have said they would seek to upgrade at quarterback through the draft. If they don't trade up with their first and second-round picks, a top linebacker prospect is not out of the question. But the later rounds are probably more likely spots.

In his first mock draft, The Times' Sam Farmer projected UCLA's Myles Jack as the eighth overall pick and Ohio State's Darron Lee as the 18th. They were the only linebackers in Farmer's first round.

Georgia's Leonard Floyd, Ohio State's Joshua Perry, Alabama's Reggie Ragland, Notre Dame's Jaylon Smith and USC's Su'a Cravens are among other linebackers in the draft

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Now that Tree will be taking over the MLB position that takes care of 1weakness.FS and DE are now at the top of our defensive needs.If one of those two positions is BPA at 15 then we have to take him.This defense has been close for a couple of years now and cutting JL for Tree puts us closer.If Gaines returns to form that's at least a push after losing Jenkins.And while McLeod had improved over the last couple of years he wasn't worth what he got.That leaves DE and I do like Hayes but he's not our long term answer. DE is expensive in free agency so the draft might get us a stud in the next year or 2. Cutting JL and CL is a step in the right direction to make this defense elite.And now we just need a little luck and hope everyone stays healthy and the offense doesn't run them down.

…..

Legend
Our LB'er crew is a bit scary to me depth wise. Those on the depth chart are what they are, there's no expected development or improvement. There's no developing or pending star. We'll need to be active in the draft. Miles Jack is the one who gets me excited because of his athletic ability, but I don't see us being in a position to draft him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"He's a very smart player," Snead said. "So he can handle the mental side. He's got plenty of size but he's also fast and quick."
That's GM speak for the most part, but the part about him being quick AND fast is key. Fast is fine for covering receivers, but being quick is more important. The ability to shed a block before it even becomes a block is what we've been missing around here for a little while. That's what I'm looking forward to the most. He's going to make the wrong decision when he diagnoses plays in order to get ahead of the play, but that should settle down after he gets more and more acclimated with the new role. And it's really encouraging that he's putting in all the extra work with Williams in order to get ready for it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-rams-linebackers-20160327-story.html

For the first time in eight years, the Rams are set to begin a season with a new middle linebacker.

Alec Ogletree, a first-round draft pick in 2013, is replacing James Laurinaitis, who signed recently with the New Orleans Saints after being released by the Rams.

Ogletree, 24, played the weak-side linebacker position his first two seasons. Now he will take on much more responsibility in the middle.

Ogletree, 6 feet 2 and 245 pounds, got off to a fast start in 2015 before he suffered a season-ending ankle injury in Week 4 against the Arizona Cardinals. The situation enabled Mark Barron to move into a hybrid safety/linebacker role in the final year of his contract.

Barron finished the season as the team's leading tackler, and the Rams this month re-signed him to a five-year contract reportedly worth $45 million. He is set to play on the weak side.

Former UCLA standout Akeem Ayers is on track to start again at the strong-side position. Ayers played three-plus seasons for the Tennessee Titans and part of one for the New England Patriots before signing with the Rams before last season.

Bryce Hager, a seventh-round draft pick last year from Baylor, and Cameron Lynch, an undrafted free agent from Syracuse, also are on the roster. So the Rams might attempt to bolster the group with a veteran free-agent before the draft.

But Ogletree will be the key.

Coach Jeff Fisher and General Manager Les Snead said Ogletree's intelligence would enable him to smoothly transition to the middle.

Laurinaitis departed as the Rams' all-time leading tackler, a veteran who knew every nuance of coordinator Gregg Williams' 4-3 scheme.

Ogletree said he learned from playing alongside Laurinaitis.

"He's a great player and, pretty much, he helped me since the day I walked in," Ogletree said. "It was sad to see him go but I take the position knowing that I learned some stuff from him as far as how to be a leader on the field. How to be accountable. Just be there in the time of need. Just be dependable."

This will be the first time Ogletree will play middle linebacker in more than spot duty.

"It will be a different experience now that I have to know everything that goes on and basically be the quarterback of the defense," he said.

Ogletree said he was prepared to spend extra time preparing for the challenge. He will not change the way he plays, he said, but he is cognizant of the added responsibilities that come with playing middle linebacker.

"I do have to change my mind-set of having to tell somebody what they need to know," he said. "Playing [middle linebacker], you have to know all the other 10 positions."

The Rams have the 15th overall pick, two second-round picks and slots in the third, fourth and sixth rounds.

Barron is now in the fold for the long term and Snead has spoken of a desire to extend Ogletree before he becomes eligible for free agency, but depth is an immediate issue at linebacker.

The Rams are in need of a top receiver and have said they would seek to upgrade at quarterback through the draft. If they don't trade up with their first and second-round picks, a top linebacker prospect is not out of the question. But the later rounds are probably more likely spots.

In his first mock draft, The Times' Sam Farmer projected UCLA's Myles Jack as the eighth overall pick and Ohio State's Darron Lee as the 18th. They were the only linebackers in Farmer's first round.

Georgia's Leonard Floyd, Ohio State's Joshua Perry, Alabama's Reggie Ragland, Notre Dame's Jaylon Smith and USC's Su'a Cravens are among other linebackers in the draft
My only concern w/ Ogletree is he won't be the "Iron Man" JL was and not miss a game!
As far as Jack is concerned, I Like Lee a lot more! He had a 35.5 Vert./ a 10 ft. 11 inch Broad jump / did the shuttle in 4.2 / and had a 7.12 cone drill at the combine! And add to that he has a 140.1 SPARQ score!!
I also think Joshua Perry from Ohio State would be a great 2nd round pick!;)

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
That's GM speak for the most part, but the part about him being quick AND fast is key. Fast is fine for covering receivers, but being quick is more important. The ability to shed a block before it even becomes a block is what we've been missing around here for a little while. That's what I'm looking forward to the most. He's going to make the wrong decision when he diagnoses plays in order to get ahead of the play, but that should settle down after he gets more and more acclimated with the new role. And it's really encouraging that he's putting in all the extra work with Williams in order to get ready for it.
I hope AO uses his quickness to attack the LOS and be less like JL who tended to "wait" for the play to come to him. AO's seemingly lack of ability to shed blocks can be overcome if he just attacks quickly instead of trying to sit back and read/react. Just be aggressive at the LOS and don;t "bite" on fakes like I have seen him do at his OLB spot in the past.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
For me... I'm excited with what I think will be a much stronger overall middle defense. The talk about the unknown quality of depth @ LB has been around here for yrs & thus far Fisher has done well without it. I will argue of course into the wind that the Rams in 2016 is well set with reserve depth in the middle area of our DEFENSE.

I need to remind myself, since Gregg's arrival, his D does not operate much with (3) LB's on the field. Sundays we seldom see much of a standard base 4-3-4. We also know Gregg's quicker than most all other DC's to insert his many different types of Dime packages using only 1 LB.

Thus we have a starting LB'er (Akeem Ayers) just standing around on the sideline most of the time...so someone tell me where that fits in as far as "The Depth"? I'll answer that :)...it adds to it. That LB'er is a young good experienced veteran LB'er who has started inside & strong side LB. Ayers costs Rams good $$$ to stand around on the sidelines. Ayers salary cap hit for this upcoming season is $ 3.3 million. That's basically DEPTH $$ here.

In 2015 Rams lost their best LB & some ex Buc reserve safety took his place. Would you think that might occur again in 2016? Are not the Rams morphing trending to utilizing "In the Box Safeties" on the field in place of the LB'ers? Well we were last season. So were others with some outstanding results i.e. Cards Deone Bucannon. Our DC has increased utilization of the "Big Nickle", contains at-least 3 safeties (this season you very well might see 4 safeties). DC using SS's in place of LB's would you not consider them as depth in this discussion:thinking:? Here's another nugget DC will have 2 very good young starting SS's healthy this season in TJ & Mo. Both played LB'er type roles in college. Both will want to start in 2016!Gregg will need to get them some playing time & I wonder where will they play?? in the middle defense area.

Rams have been consistent with using 5 or 6 LB's on the final master roster the last few seasons. Snead let two LB'ers (JL/Bates) depart from the 2015 53 player roster. Snead signed 1 LB'er in UFA Mark Barron to fill the place of the released JL. Snead has #1-Ogletree, #2-Barron, #3-Ayers, #4-Hager, #5-Lynch with 1 opening to fill. Do Not underestimate Syracuse LBing product Cameron Lynch! Lynch was a pretty notable recruit in 2011. 2 yrs as a starter, he totaled 166 tackles, 24 of which were for a loss, 11 sacks, two forced fumbles and two interceptions. Lynch stands to be an easy replacement for Bates as the 4th LB'er.

Rams have signed MLB/SSLBer Zack Hodges & WSLB Matt Wells until 2018. Hers some reads on those two.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1851481/zach-hodges
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/zach-hodges?id=2552302
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/history/1759857

Snead is in outstanding shape for a long term extension similar to Barron on MLB Alec Ogletree when considering all the stated above about our middle defense depth I have ZERO concerns here. Drafting a LB'er high is sure No need IMO but if a Jack Myles drops to #15 it's a gift from heaven above like Aaron Donald you leap to the podium with that selection.