Ogletree signs extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I believe we are going to shed some other contracts in the offseason.

Quinn seems most at risk. Tru is another... not coming back at the franchise tag level.

Barron and Austin need to be looking around as well.

When u consider Ogletree, Watkins, Donald, and Joyner need (or needed deals) something has to give.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Then u consider Ogletree, Watkins, Donald, and Joyner need (or needed deals) something has to give.

Good Points and I'm not sure on Watkins to this point because of Reynolds, however, I do believe they will extend Joyner seems to be important in Wade's scheme and plus without Johnson they will need a Stud corner so will they draft one and go with a rookie or sign somebody else?

As to Ogletree like the signing, but IMHO, in this scheme, he'd be a stud outside on the blitz and add a thumper inside and I believe next year's linebacker core will be totally different.

…..

Legend
Good Points and I'm not sure on Watkins to this point because of Reynolds, however, I do believe they will extend Joyner seems to be important in Wade's scheme and plus without Johnson they will need a Stud corner so will they draft one and go with a rookie or sign somebody else?

As to Ogletree like the signing, but IMHO, in this scheme, he'd be a stud outside on the blitz and add a thumper inside and I believe next year's linebacker core will be totally different.

Reynolds has a long ways to go before we start counting on him at starters level, but it will be interesting to see if he can work himself that direction. For certain he already owns the block of the year. Right now I am leaning towards getting Watkins locked up, but he hasn't blown the door down so waiting to see how he evolves into the team/system is the smart money here.

IMO Johnson got abused embarrassingly by Garcon.....then did well against Bryant, though it was Bryant's best yardage game, he only caught 5 of 13 targets and was kept from scoring. I'm on the fence with Johnson.....and worried that he's spoiled by the ridiculous number for the Tags a corner back gets. Surely he doesn't think we'd give him 16 per on the long term? If so.....rut roh! I see problems looming on the horizon if he's expecting that kinda jack.

Ogletree has a lot of Karlos Dansby in him.....they're the same size, from the same area, put up similar numbers, both kinda ball hawking play makers with regards to turnovers and game changing plays. If Ogletree can continue to have the impact he's been having without the ire of the fans for poor angles and missed arm takles, then it will be money well spent. What going to be interesting to me is how he now plays with the security of his 2nd contract. This place wont be a whole lot of fun if he trails off, the game-day thread is already a dreadful place to be when we are losing.

…..

Legend
Way to physically talented to let leave when there is money available.

Absolutely correct.

Sometimes as fans we get a bit picky. If we'd have let Ogletree walk....the theme would immediately be "what were the Rams thinking?"

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Absolutely correct.

Sometimes as fans we get a bit picky. If we'd have let Ogletree walk....the theme would immediately be "what were the Rams thinking?"
This fan have thought smart move. As of yet he hadn't earned this much money in Wades defense and there are a lot of good free agents and some good draft possibilities coming up. I'm curious to see how the last 11 games play out but right now this seems questionable.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Now, maybe, the Rams can get something done for Donald! At least I hope so!!(y)

…..

Legend
This fan have thought smart move. As of yet he hadn't earned this much money in Wades defense and there are a lot of good free agents and some good draft possibilities coming up. I'm curious to see how the last 11 games play out but right now this seems questionable.

Agree.....except that the last 11 games wont matter too much if we get the right personnel in here to be able to move him back outside next year. He's going to perform well...remains to be seen if he performs "well enough" to satisfy the armchair coaching staff of Rams Nation, even though the general feeling is he's out of position currently.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree.....except that the last 11 games wont matter too much if we get the right personnel in here to be able to move him back outside next year. He's going to perform well...remains to be seen if he performs "well enough" to satisfy the armchair coaching staff of Rams Nation, even though the general feeling is he's out of position currently.
I'm far from an expert but I think he'd be better on or two spots to the left. Put him in Barron or Barwins spot.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Absolutely correct.

Yep. I remember many thought we shouldn't pay Jenkins, now look.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was open to keeping Tree, but possibly at the franchise tag. Because it would have had to have been after cutting Barron and telling Tree "hey look, we made a mistake paying him that much".

I'm even fine with Tree now at that price because Goff will be cheap during most of these years. But Tree should be the 2nd MLB in a 3-4, with more of a bruiser next to him IMO.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we re-sign Donald soon, we could quite possibly have the highest paid front 7 in NFL history. Quinn, Tree, Barron all around $10 mil per year; Brockers around $7mil and Donald around $20 mil

For the 27th ranked run defense.

Twenty seventh.

James Otto

Starter
If we re-sign Donald soon, we could quite possibly have the highest paid front 7 in NFL history. Quinn, Tree, Barron all around $10 mil per year; Brockers around $7mil and Donald around $20 mil

For the 27th ranked run defense.

Twenty seventh.

You are overthinking the run defense, which has been generally solid overall. It's a new scheme and 130 yards given up are accounted for by 2 runs by backup running backs. This is not going to be the trend going forward as they clean up the scheme.

This will be a top 10 run defense by the end of the year.

fearsomefour

Legend
Absolutely correct.

In the offseason when trade proposals were being bantied about, I said the only untradable guys were Donald, Hekker and Ogletree in that order. All for the same reason.
That list has since expanded which is great news.
Hopefully Tree finds his rhythem in this D and we add a legit ILB next to him this offseason....although Barron has been better the last couple of games.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
http://m.therams.com/s/30854/409?itemUri=40892409/41391411015498015086712994

Ogletree Feeling 'Grateful and Blessed' After Signing Extension

Linebacker Alec Ogletree has been a staple of the Rams' defense since he was drafted in 2013. Selected at No. 30 overall that year, Ogletree started every game a s a rookie and led the club with 155 tackles.

The Georgia product has led the Rams in tackles three out of his first four seasons - the only one Ogletree didn't was when he suffered a season-ending leg fracture - finishing each of those three years on the franchise's single-season top 10 list.

And now Ogletree has been rewarded for his performance, signing a four-year contract extension on Thursday to keep him with Los Angeles through the 2021 season.

"Alec has evolved into a true leader of our football team and we are excited to sign him to this extension," Rams general manager Les Snead said in a statement. "His teammates voted him as a captain in back-to-back seasons for a reason - and it's not only because of his production, but his character and resiliency. We look forward to Alec helping our team emerge as a consistent winner for years to come."

"It means a lot," Ogletree told therams.com just after signing his extension on Thursday. "It shows the faith that they've had in me, and I really appreciate the opportunity that I have here. I definitely want to see this franchise turn it around, and definitely want to be a part of that. Just grateful and blessed. So can't thank them enough for believing in me when I got drafted out of Georgia, and to this day still believing in me."

One of the club's most productive defenders, the Rams' reasons for wanting to keep Ogletree are readily apparent. But why did Ogletree want to stay with Los Angeles?

"It's the team I started out with and when I came in," Ogletree said. "I knew we weren't having the best of years here, but I definitely wanted to come in and make a change here. With the new coaching staff we've brought in and everybody that's here, I definitely see that happening now. And I definitely wanted to still be a part of that."

The middle linebacker has noticed a renewed energy within the team under head coach Sean McVay.

"Just a new attitude. Everybody's been held accountable - that's something that we needed for sure," Ogletree said. "Everybody gives him that respect - even though he's young. But at the end of the day, we're here to win. And I think he brings that mentality to this team. And he believes in us, and we believe in him."

The Georgia product began his career as a 4-3 weakside linebacker in the club's previous defensive scheme, leading the team in tackles in both 2013 and 2014. In his rookie season, Ogletree returned an interception 98 yards for a touchdown - a play that was the longest return by a rookie linebacker in league history and tied the league record for the longest interception return by a linebacker.

Ogletree began the 2015 season playing at a potentially Pro Bowl level, before suffering a season-ending leg fracture against the Cardinals in Week 4. In just four games, Ogletree recorded 55 tackles and 2.0 sacks.

Then in 2016, Ogletree shifted from weakside to middle linebacker, becoming the defensive signal-caller. He led the Rams with 171 tackles last year, which is No. 5 on the single season franchise list and set a new career high.

"I don't really pay attention to it much. It's something to be proud of, I guess you could say," Ogletree said when informed he had three of the Rams' top seasons in tackles. "I've only got three, so hopefully I can break that, and keep that streak up, and do more."

Now in the Rams' 3-4 defense, Ogletree leads the team with 54 total tackles through five games, and has recorded 2.0 sacks. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said Thursday he "couldn't be more impressed" with Ogletree.

"No. 1 - besides his athletic ability - his leadership is through the roof. He's a definite leader," Phillips said. "I'm sure he got every vote for captain from everybody on the whole team. He's got that great leadership quality that not a lot of players have. It's just natural with him. And he doesn't go out of his way - it's just the way he is. And players gravitate to him. He's a smart player, too. He can call all the signals on defense, make all the adjustments and all those things - so they look to that kind of guy anyway. And he's got that leadership value."

"I take a lot of pride in it," Ogletree said of being a leader. "When we step out on that field, they're not just looking at me - they're looking at everybody. And so if it's one man that makes a mistake, it's not just him - it's all of us in it together. And you have to have your leaders on the team. Fortunately for me, I guess it kind of came with the position, as far as being a 'Mike' linebacker. But I've always been the type to basically try to lead by example in what I do. And if you love this game as much as I do, it shows in different areas."

Under McVay and in Phillips' defensive scheme, Ogletree felt comfortable re-upping with the Rams for another four years. And while the middle linebacker is staying in the moment, he also acknowledged the big-picture goal that induced him to stay in Los Angeles.

"Just to bring a championship here, at the end of the day," Ogletree said of his goals and expectations "That's what we play this game for, is to win a championship. And I think our goal short-term right now is to win this weekend and go onto the next game. And we'll take it one game at a time.

"But, like I said, [I've] definitely loved the change that's going on around here, and I still want to be a part of that. And that was definitely a big factor into me signing back."

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You can't put a price on leadership....Good move....

Missed tackles...missed gaps...missed assignments..whatever.

But Ogletree is all over the field...throwing his body around violently.

I hope this signals Barron moving to SS next year....Littleton moving in next to Tree....

and sorry...letting Joyner go.

Johnson and Barron as safeties in 2018

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I get the feeling they see him improving and learning the system. We can all say that we want another type player for the middle of the defense but then that player may or may not fit and still has to learn what Tree is learning now. Continuity has its merits. I think he is a damn good player and hopefully he will show it in our new system.

…..

Legend

I hope this signals Barron moving to SS next year....Littleton moving in next to Tree....

sorry i got carried away with my like rating.....between you and me, I'm taking it back. but not really.

why?

Joyner and Barron at Safety.

Johnson plays alot while we rotate Barron all over the place until Barron's contract expires and Joyner assumes that role. Barron stalks the ball while Johnson stalks....the ball. We become a takeaway defense.

Barron can fk up an offense like Faulk fk'd up defenses. You never know where that dude is gonna come from and ruin your day.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I agree with all this except the getting rid of Joyner. The guy is just a player.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Joyner and Barron at Safety.

I agree with all this except the getting rid of Joyner. The guy is just a player.
I will say, Joyner is growing on me...and I think he's kinda valuable now...

Consequently, I can't see a way we can offer him what he's worth...and with the addition of John Johnson....and Barron already signed...no way he fits in past 2017....

Maybe he can return from this injury and change my mind some more....

But if it's a choice between Barron or Joyner getting paid and remaining on the team....it's Barron...Joyner's not even close IMO>