Offseason plans?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Hello, Mr. Demoff. Long time, no see. It's good to have you back.

So, I was wondering something: what plans do you guys have for this offseason? Are there any under-the-radar free agents that you're looking at to improve certain positions, or are you more concerned with resigning some of our own and focusing on the draft?

What you, Fisher, Snead, and the entire Rams organization are doing is awesome. For the first time in a long while, we're not only on the right track, but we're quickly becoming a team that can stand toe-to-toe with and beat just about anyone in the NFL. It feels so great to be able to talk football with my dad and younger brother (who has regained his interest in the team) and say that the Rams are finally back in business and ready to dominate for years to come. For that, as a fan, I can't thank you guys enough.

Sincerely,

Mem.

kdemoff

UDFA
Mem, thanks for the kind words. I think our plans this offseason are the same as they will be moving forward:

1) Re-sign our key core players who are coming out of their first contracts
2) Target areas of need in free agency with impact starters
3) Use our pro personnel staff to identify under the radar players to come in and compete for playing time and improve our depth
4) Use the draft to add difference-makers to our team

If you remember going into this season, our #1 priority was to re-sign Chris Long and James Laurinaitis. So I feel like we've already had a successful offseason because those players are under contract for the long-term. Believe me, when Chris Long finished the season against the Seahawks with 3 sacks and dominated the LOS, I was grateful that wasn't his last game before free agency.

This year we will be active in free agency but I think it will be a far cry from last year's $100m spending spree. If we remain commited to building through the draft, then free agency should be a supplement and not the driving force behind player acquisition. With four picks in the top 80 picks, our major additions will likely come through the draft or trade using those picks.