Official Rams FA Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
How much more cap space does Miami have anyways???? Damn at the guys they have signed already!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
interference said:
A55VA6 said:
I'm growing a little frustrated with the Rams free agency so far..
I've gotta wonder if Kevin Demoff is the only one who can negotiatve with agents, creating a situation where it becomes difficult to bring-in more than one serious FA at a time. Seems we lost 3 or 4 days with Jake Long, precluding talks within anyone else. Does anyone know if that's the case, 'cause it seems like we should have a team of negotiators on staff who can work in parallel so we can maximize the number of players we can bring-in simultanously.
OK. Say you have a birthday pie, and there are several people that want to join your community that have the same birthday. One of those people are your clear favorite. You want to please that person, so you tell them that they can have the biggest piece of the birthday pie, and everyone else has to wait for you to take your piece, to determine the size of their piece.

We can't do anything, can't serve pieces of the set size of the overall pie, until that first, unknown huge slice is taken.

I don't think that we are waiting any longer. The pie is open for claims.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
After the Rams signed Cook, I was wondering how much money the Rams realistically had left to offer Long? The whole thing seemed like they were trying to "sneak one in" so to speak. What I mean is, I heard that Long was asking for 11mil a year (which was probably a high number from his agent to get teams to shoot for 9-10mil, and to basically just shoot the potential offers up as much as possible.) The Rams on the other hand probably only had something like 6-8mil left after signing Cook to offer Long. (Going on the supposed cap numbers, whatever they actually are.) So, to me the Rams never had a realistic chance at signing Long and they were just playing a game.

Then you have the Rams bringing in Delmas at the same time and you know they're playing the same game with him. Hoping if one doesn't sign for cheap the other will. Which is fine. I mean if I was going to buy a new car I would look at a few options and I would be trying to talk the price down as much as possible, I get it.

But, it is getting a little annoying that after they took their strategic gamble with these two guys, that it seems to have slowed down any other players coming in for visits.

I know their is still plenty of time left in FA and that there are still plenty of guys who can be picked up to help us. I guess this is just my little rant to vent out some frustration.

I know people are going to explain that its a business, but I personally don't like this approach to FA. Also I don't run my business this way. I guess the end results are what will matter the most. I'm happy to have Cook. I just wish the Rams seemed to be managing their time better.

Then again I probably just had too much time to think about this, this morning. :bummed:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
DR RAM said:
interference said:
A55VA6 said:
I've gotta wonder if Kevin Demoff is the only one who can negotiatve with agents, creating a situation where it becomes difficult to bring-in more than one serious FA at a time. Seems we lost 3 or 4 days with Jake Long, precluding talks within anyone else. Does anyone know if that's the case, 'cause it seems like we should have a team of negotiators on staff who can work in parallel so we can maximize the number of players we can bring-in simultanously.
OK. Say you have a birthday pie, and there are several people that want to join your community that have the same birthday. One of those people are your clear favorite. You want to please that person, so you tell them that they can have the biggest piece of the birthday pie, and everyone else has to wait for you to take your piece, to determine the size of their piece.

We can't do anything, can't serve pieces of the set size of the overall pie, until that first, unknown huge slice is taken.

I think this approach to FA the Rams FO took was a mistake, and I'd actually like to see KD answer a question about this in the KD forum ROD has setup. This serial approach to FA just doesn't really work given the competition for FA's out there, and the speed at which the other teams move to acquire players. The Rams FO HAS to be setup to move faster on these deals.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
interference said:
DR RAM said:
interference said:
A55VA6 said:

I think this approach to FA the Rams FO took was a mistake, and I'd actually like to see KD answer a question about this in the KD forum ROD has setup. This serial approach to FA just doesn't really work given the competition for FA's out there, and the speed at which the other teams move to acquire players. The Rams FO HAS to be setup to move faster on these deals.
Go ahead and ask. He said we can keep piling them on until he gets back.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
interference said:
DR RAM said:
interference said:
A55VA6 said:

Only Miami has done the speed thing, with the Chiefs being a close second.

Other teams have done the exact same thing the Rams have done.

Bucs- 1....Dashon Goldson

Bears- 1....Jermon Bushrod

Browns- 1....Paul Kruger

Lions- 1...Glover Quin

Seacraps- 2...Cliff Avril/Percy Harvin

49ers- 1...Anquan Boldin

Broncos- 1...Wes Welker (no I don't count Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie)

Eagles- 1...Conner Barwin

Falcons- 1...Steven Jackson

Titans- 1...Adam Levitire

Rams- 1...Jared Cook, Jr

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
Go ahead and ask. He said we can keep piling them on until he gets back.
Asked!

I tried to do it without assessing blame. I dont want the guy thinking I'm coming-down on him. On the other hand, I am curious how it works and whether there is anything they can do to eliminate the bottlenecks, if infact there are any.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - I think Doc is right though. You can have ten guys come in but they and their agents know roughly how much the top FA you brought in is going to pull from your cap. Do we really think we are going to get visits from several top FAs in the first few days of action? Those FAs are going to go where they think there is a legitimate chance of being signed - or possibly as in the case of Long, where they can gain the most leverage on other clubs.

It looks to me like we had certain players targeted. Most of the others either weren't an option or are still out there.

I know as fans we'd all like to see a flurry of great moves. I just don't think that is a realistic option - especially with how free agency is set up now.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I think having both Sebastian Vollmer & Jake Long in-town simultaneously might not have been a bad negotiating strategy.

Ram_of_Old

Angry Ram said:
interference said:
DR RAM said:
interference said:
A55VA6 said:

Only Miami has done the speed thing, with the Chiefs being a close second.

Other teams have done the exact same thing the Rams have done.

Bucs- 1....Dashon Goldson

Bears- 1....Jermon Bushrod

Browns- 1....Paul Kruger

Lions- 1...Glover Quin

Seacraps- 2...Cliff Avril/Percy Harvin

49ers- 1...Anquan Boldin

Broncos- 1...Wes Welker (no I don't count Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie)

Eagles- 1...Conner Barwin

Falcons- 1...Steven Jackson

Titans- 1...Adam Levitire

Rams- 1...Jared Cook, Jr

You left out Reggie Bush in Detroit. The Rams have never been a big player in th FA market. I am hoping Fisher will pickup some potent weapons for Sam in the draft.

Angry Ram

Reggie Bush = journeyman. I don't count him as a major signing.

Ram_of_Old

Angry Ram said:

Really? An ESPN talking head said that his signing may have the greatest impact of any of the FA signings. Detroit is missing the running/passing threat. He gives it to them.

…..

Legend
like some of you...our lack of activity in the F/A market is starting to concern me.

Even if Long signs....I always felt a few selective aquisitions in the market place combined with effective drafting would get us to the level we need to be to fight for a playoff spot.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
We did some moves when we had more room last year. Most of the key moves are still with us - no? Not sure how many other moves we had in us. KD even said we wouldn't be huge in the FA market. So.... Not terribly concerned. Don't think we're done but...

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
RamFan503 said:
We did some moves when we had more room last year. Most of the key moves are still with us - no? Not sure how many other moves we had in us. KD even said we wouldn't be huge in the FA market. So.... Not terribly concerned. Don't think we're done but...

We can't be done in FA. There are still too many holes to fill. A Safety with experience is a must and an OT sure would be nice. You can't count on starting rookies at both Safeties, OT, OLB, and possibly WR.

Angry Ram

Ram_of_Old said:
Angry Ram said:

Really? An ESPN talking head said that his signing may have the greatest impact of any of the FA signings. Detroit is missing the running/passing threat. He gives it to them.

BSPN talkin head. That's all I gotta say to that...lol!

fearsomefour said:
You also left of Vasquez in Denver.

So they have 2. OK.

The Dog said:
like some of you...our lack of activity in the F/A market is starting to concern me.

Even if Long signs....I always felt a few selective aquisitions in the market place combined with effective drafting would get us to the level we need to be to fight for a playoff spot.

Doesn't matter. FA is overrated anyway. You'll generate headlines in March then come the end of the season. :hmph:

They've signed the one player they wanted, it'll be fine if that's it.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Ramhusker said:
RamFan503 said:

We can't be done in FA. There are still too many holes to fill. A Safety with experience is a must and an OT sure would be nice. You can't count on starting rookies at both Safeties, OT, OLB, and possibly WR.

Our owner and entire front office anf coaching staff are all adamant about building through the draft.
They know it could take time but they believe its the best course of action.
I think they are spot on!

fearsomefour

Legend
I was just sayin, I like Vasquez, thats all.

The Rams have said they had a three years plan to build the roster to a place that might "usually" take 5 years or more. If this is to be done it would obviously have to be done through the draft and finding young, good value FA. The Rams are only worse at S at this point....although the Whiners are as well. They havent improved other need areas but they havent gotten worse either. Resigning Hayes, Cudjo and Stewart were good moves to secure depth and in the case of Stewart maybe hang on to an eventual starter.

Last year the Rams were able to add multiple players to improve their team, part of that was the overwhelming number of holes they had to fill. It stands to reason the team would be more selective the fewer holes they have to fill. It will be interesting going forward to see how the team address the LB situation with so few on the roster at this point.

Signing Long would be nice, but, the Rams are taking the right approach not letting themselves being forced into overpaying for him. If he stays in Miami and the Rams add a RT like Vollmer the same goal has been reached while spending less. There is a good argument to the approach of signing Vollmer for $3 or $4M less than Long would cost and signing a vet S (or resigning Mikkel and another player) with the saved money.
The Rams would have to be convinced Long is still a Pro-Bowl lever LT to spend that kind of money on him.

I like the idea of Cook. This can really offset the loss of Amendola and gives the Rams a bigger target down by the goal line.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Rabid Ram said:
Ramhusker said:
RamFan503 said:

Our owner and entire front office anf coaching staff are all adamant about building through the draft.
They know it could take time but they believe its the best course of action.
I think they are spot on!

Of course they are spot on but the Rams won't win if they don't stop gap some positions through FA. They have the cap space to get one more difference maker like they did with Cook. OL or S are the most important in my eyes right now for them to fill instead of relying on rookies. Odds are a rookie Safety will be starting this year, you really don't need two! The OL needs to be solid. This cannot be a year where the Rams have a makeshift OL or Bradford will be spent in a hurry. It doesn't have to be Long. A serviceable ROT would do the trick and draft one also. The worst thing to do would be to overpay Long and he not produce.