Offensive line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I hope that the last time I see Wells and Joseph playing for the Rams is next week in Seadderall. Watching them play is going to result in me breaking shit inside my home. Wells especially. FUCK

Good NFL lineman are difficult to find. There are plenty of guys lining up on Sundays pretending to be NFL linemen... solid performing ones that is. Jay Gruden used to tell me that finding quality O-linemen was the most difficult part of his job when he was coaching Arena League football, and that the problem was just as bad in the NFL. Clearly we need to make some major improvements with our O-line... but it's not an easy thing to do.

I'll just be excited when I don't see Wells in Horns again. For Fucks Sake.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Topic: "Offensive Line"

My reaction: "Yes, they are."

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really hope the Rams don't bring Sean Hooey back to the offseason program either...man was that hard to watch in the preseason.

I saw that Person is an UFA as well this year...what is everyones opinion on him as depth or potential starter?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Not sure I want any more FA guys to patch the Oline together.

Wells was supposed to be excellent in GB came here and has not been as advertised, his health has been a problem and this year he is just embarrassing with the botched snaps.

Joseph has been a complete was of a roster spot this year a last minute sign and none of our young guys could be coached up enough to replace this sieve? Again embarrassing.

Jake Long came back too early, got Bradford hurt again because he was not ready to play and eventually got hurt again. No question he should not be a Ram going forward.

There isn't any over abundance of talent on this team so trading for someone else would have to be draft picks, not a great scenario. How about just biting the bullet and building the Oline through the draft like they have done with the rest of the team???? It has been a problem for far too long and is without a doubt the weakest part of this team. Time to step up Boudreau I believe you have the rep for a reason but what have you done for us lately?

Alan

Legend
Selassie I with sage advice:
Clearly we need to make some major improvements with our O-line... but it's not an easy thing to do.
Which is why we need to devote some resources to the problem and not wait until the 4th or 5th round. Taking GR in the 1st round last year was a good start in that direction. Plus even though it didn't work out, they did try and throw some money at it in FA. While Joseph and Wells haven't worked out well, signing Saffold was a smart move. So far. Long hasn't been a total waste but I think he's toast now so...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Which is why we need to devote some resources to the problem and not wait until the 4th or 5th round. Taking GR in the 1st round last year was a good start in that direction. Plus even though it didn't work out, they did try and throw some money at it in FA. While Joseph and Wells haven't worked out well, signing Saffold was a smart move. So far. Long hasn't been a total waste but I think he's toast now so...

Lots of round 1 O-line draft picks turn out to be duds at the NFL level. Not just Ram picks either... just last week we had an article here about the eagle's 1st round pick who was only interested in being a fireman. Many many busts happen with offensive linemen, 1st rounders included.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'll just address the Rams center post @ this time. Fisher & Boudreau can address this OL post today! Wells should not start in game #17 in Seattle period. Boudreau has three capable centers on his roster NOW! Wells is smart & knows that if he is replaced Boudreau has given him numerous chances to maintain....plain silly to continue with the last ranked NFL center any longer.

Tim Barnes would be a the best of the three to give a chance to show what he can do. Barnes started @ OC last yr at this time...things did not go well for him. Barnes is the most experienced center Boudreau has outside of Wells. Barnes has been here with Boudreau since day one & in his 4th season as a Ram. Barnes will enter free Agency in a few months might as well give him one start this season to get one final look at him to preform well enough to either be resigned to be our leading candidate to secure the post in 2015 or just let him go elsewhere?

Mike Person like Tim Barnes has seen a lot of 5th & 6th OL'er action this season. No other 2014 Ram Ol'er has seen more snaps with the first team in TC & pre season & with the regular offense @ OLT & OLG than Person. Person has center size and started @ center in the last half in the last pre season game. Person is like Barnes where he will be a UFA in a few months. Person has been around the NFL for a while now 4 seasons. he is one tough mean OL'er with only one thing lacking in his skill & talent resume that's his small size 6-4 299 pounds. The center post is where his lack of size can work for Person. It sure looks like the time is right for Person.

Both Person & Barnes who both 26 yrs old & who are fully healthy & ready for action, if by now these two OL'ers above can NOT perform better than Wells has????? as experienced young strong bodies.......then neither should be offered a contract in 2015 & At least Snead & Fisher will know just move on with/out all three.

Finally Boudreau has Barrett Jones who is under a Rams contract until 2017. I see no need to rush Barrett into action at this point over Barnes & Person. If I am off on this post can someone help me get on the right track?

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
Selassie I seeing possible pitfalls:
Many many busts happen with offensive linemen, 1st rounders included.
But the odds are with you. Math is your friend. :)

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
But the odds are with you. Math is your friend. :)

I agree.

But then I have visions of Jason Smith.

I believe that most teams struggle finding 5 quality O-linemen. They may have 2 or 3 studs, but the others that waddle out on the field for them are just big bodies that will never be anything more than a big body on the field.

We have to address the O-line on day 1 or 2 of the draft, I just cringe when it happens.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam forgetting that moss grows on the north side of trees in the northern hemisphere:
If I am off on this post can someone help me get on the right track?
Turn left at the sycamore tree and follow the tracks until you get to the cat house hidden in the woods. Pick up a couple of females and give them to Boudreau as bribes. (y)
images
images
He'll have to get them spayed in the spring though.
Caution, hidden double entendre!

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
Selassie I explaining why he has trouble sleeping at night:

I believe that most teams struggle finding 5 quality O-linemen. They may have 2 or 3 studs, but the others that waddle out on the field for them are just big bodies that will never be anything more than a big body on the field.

We have to address the O-line on day 1 or 2 of the draft, I just cringe when it happens.
We have to bite the bullet though. What worries me the most is if Snisher decides to use a high draft pick on a project that he's sure Boudreau can "coach up."
upload_2014-12-22_15-55-32.jpeg

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I'll just address the Rams center post @ this time. Fisher & Boudreau can address this OL post today! Wells should not start in game #17 in Seattle period. Boudreau has three capable centers on his roster NOW! Wells is smart & knows that if he is replaced Boudreau has given him numerous chances to maintain....plain silly to continue with the last ranked NFL center any longer.

Tim Barnes would be a the best of the three to give a chance to show what he can do. Barnes started @ OC last yr at this time...things did not go well for him. Barnes is the most experienced center Boudreau has outside of Wells. Barnes has been here with Boudreau since day one & in his 4th season as a Ram. Barnes will enter free Agency in a few months might as well give him one start this season to get one final look at him to preform well enough to either be resigned to be our leading candidate to secure the post in 2015 or just let him go elsewhere?

Mike Person like Tim Barnes has seen a lot of 5th & 6th OL'er action this season. No other 2014 Ram Ol'er has seen more snaps with the first team in TC & pre season & with the regular offense @ OLT & OLG than Person. Person has center size and started @ center in the last half in the last pre season game. Person is like Barnes where he will be a UFA in a few months. Person has been around the NFL for a while now 4 seasons. he is one tough mean OL'er with only one thing lacking in his skill & talent resume that's his small size 6-4 299 pounds. The center post is where his lack of size can work for Person. It sure looks like the time is right for Person.

Both Person & Barnes who both 26 yrs old & who are fully healthy & ready for action, if by now these two OL'ers above can NOT perform better than Wells has????? as experienced young strong bodies.......then neither should be offered a contract in 2015 & At least Snead & Fisher will know just move on with/out all three.

Finally Boudreau has Barrett Jones who is under a Rams contract until 2017. I see no need to rush Barrett into action at this point over Barnes & Person. If I am off on this post can someone help me get on the right track?

Would like to disagree with you on this point. Barnes started four games last year and played well in three of the games, in fact, he got a game ball for his play in the New Orleans game last year and more than held his own against Gerald McCoy in the Tampa Game. The Seattle game was not the best, but then, it wasn't for anybody on the Rams as they ran into a dominant defense on its way to a championship. The line in that game was makeshift with Shelly Smith and Brandon Washington being thrown into the fire and Saffold moved out to LT.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Gotta wonder (not really) if playing with Aaron Rodgers automatically makes you a Pro Bowl offensive lineman.

Alan

Legend
-X- noticing the interdependency:
Gotta wonder (not really) if playing with Aaron Rodgers automatically makes you a Pro Bowl offensive lineman.
Yep. Works both ways too.

In general.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Sign Wise or DLP in FA. Replacing Wells should be the only goal in FA. That, and re-signing Barksdale, who I'm not disappointed in at all considering who he has manning the two spots to his left.

For RG, I think you look for a starter in round 2 or 3, and then sign another Barksdale-like project to compete. Those two, combined with Jones, should give us a nice three man competition for the spot.

And that's it. Literally all other resources should be focused on finding a QB. Hopefully, between Bradford and the new QB, someone can step up and give us better production than the BULL CRAP we've seen under center all year.
As bad as our line has been for nearly 10 years how can you say our QB is bad?Just go back and look at our line in the the Washington Redskins game in Bradford's Rookie year.
I agree.

Yes but that was under Devaney and Spags.So you can't mention him in the same breath as Snead as it is no contest.

Alan

Legend
-X- thinking double enshrinement ceremony would be fitting:
You mean like with Jason Brown and Kyle Boller?
Second year of eligibility I'm thinking. It'll be tricky getting them in at the same time though. HOF politics and harvest time are the two main obstacles.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Would like to disagree with you on this point. Barnes started four games last year and played well in three of the games, in fact, he got a game ball for his play in the New Orleans game last year and more than held his own against Gerald McCoy in the Tampa Game. The Seattle game was not the best, but then, it wasn't for anybody on the Rams as they ran into a dominant defense on its way to a championship. The line in that game was makeshift with Shelly Smith and Brandon Washington being thrown into the fire and Saffold moved out to LT.

There is no disagreement between you & I here.(y)

That comment you addressed ...was where referring to the final 2013 season Seattle 17th game that did not go too well for him, not Tim Barnes overall 2013 performance in the 5 games he finished for the IR'd Wells. I know its been discussed around here some last yr & some early this off season about center Tim Barnes 5 game performance. If I can can remember it right it was very mixed by posters. I thought Tim Barnes performance playing next to Chris Williams, Shelley Smith & Rodger Saffold was good enough for Barnes to win the OC starting post in 2014.

Sadly it was that finale game against Seattle that stuck in most all ROD members brains & they have good reasons. Having Brandon Washington play in his first NFL game @ OLG , Shelley Smith all 297 pounds of him playing Right OG would be bad enough :confused:but if you recall before the first half Saffold was knock out (Concussed) causing OLG Chris Williams to play OLT for the injured Saffold & Jake Long that made it impossible to look decent against the 2013 SB World Champions:sick:. So as too his 2013 performance I say it was good overall.

What bothered me was Tim Barnes 2014 pre season performance as the starting center in for the ailing Scott Wells. When I reviewed the pre season games I found his play lacking :(in comparison to what I saw late in 2013. Not sure why but maybe I was under the impression that he would outright take the center position from Wells....that just did not occur. Barnes was getting most all the first team action during camp & did end up sharing some early with Barrett Jones & later with Rhaney(who looked good) & very late with Mike Person. It should also be said that due to the Scott Wells health issues Barnes worked solely @ center. Barnes previously in yrs past Boudreau gave Barnes TC & pre season game action @ both OG posts.Boudreau was trying out & installing a bunch of UDFA's & 7th round draft selections OL'ers & it was a mess too. The OL 2014 pre season performance could only be described as total dismay & confusion IMO. :eek:

fearsomefour

Legend
I
I really hope the Rams don't bring Sean Hooey back to the offseason program either...man was that hard to watch in the preseason.

I saw that Person is an UFA as well this year...what is everyones opinion on him as depth or potential starter?
like Person a lot.
He is not going to physically overpower anyone at the point in the run game, but, he is mobile and moves well. I think he is a good guy to have given his versatility. If my memory is correct he played all 5 O line positions in one game this preseason. If the Rams don't bring in a FA G this offseason I would expect Person to be in the competition for LG (with Saffold moving back to RG).