Offensive Line Depth As It Stands.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I know, I know, you have the Big (literally) Five. Alaric Jackson, Jonah Jackson, Steve Avila, Kevin Dotson, and Rob Havenstein.

This is not the thread to talk about them.

Instead, let's discuss depth. It's fucking insane how much depth we've accumulated thus far.

Noteboom is our swing tackle, obviously. That much shouldn't be denied. We know what he is at this point.

Warren McClendon is a potential right tackle whom, I feel, will be Havenstein's eventual successor. I will stick with that prediction. He has a lot of the same traits as Big Rob, winning with technique and leverage more than raw strength. They saw something in him last year to take him before Davis Allen and Puka Nacua. Right now, he's our backup right tackle/guard.

Beaux Limmer. Oh my fate, how did he last this long? Country strong, technical, smart, more athletic than given credit for. He's going to at least be a long-term backup, if not an eventual starter once Dotson/Jonah Jackson move on from their three-year deals.

KT Leveston. Big, strong, smart, technical. I think Ryan Wendell has a type. Maybe not athletic enough to be a left tackle, but Leveston is certainly a capable backup.

Zachary Thomas. He may be the most interesting offensive lineman. I don't think he's a starter at all, but I believe he can legitimately back up all five positions, and that has value in this era.

Logan Bruss. This is his last chance to show out, and I don't think he's safe...but he was a third-round pick for a reason. Hopefully, he can compete another year removed from his injury (which I think was the real reason he hasn't shown out), but...well, we'll see.

A.J. Arcuri. Big, technical right tackle/guard type. His job is in danger because of McClendon and Leveston, who do basically the same things, but better. Still good depth and possible practice squad, but the clock's ticking with him.

Mike McAllister. Definitely more of a center type. He'll have to learn guard on the fly, but we kept him on the roster for a reason. Practice squad seems likely.

Grant Miller. Not sure about him. Pure guard, it looks like. Don't see much of a future with him.

Blake Larson. Interesting tackle from a smaller school. Possibly developmental. Has the tools. Practice squad, possibly?

Justin Dedich. Center/guard type. Stronger than he looks, but still undersized. Don't see it with him, but I've been surprised before.

Other free agents ought to be interesting, but I think we have incredible depth. It really is going to be a privilege to see who gets where.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I know, I know, you have the Big (literally) Five. Alaric Jackson, Jonah Jackson, Steve Avila, Kevin Dotson, and Rob Havenstein.

This is not the thread to talk about them.

Instead, let's discuss depth. It's fucking insane how much depth we've accumulated thus far.

Noteboom is our swing tackle, obviously. That much shouldn't be denied. We know what he is at this point.

Warren McClendon is a potential right tackle whom, I feel, will be Havenstein's eventual successor. I will stick with that prediction. He has a lot of the same traits as Big Rob, winning with technique and leverage more than raw strength. They saw something in him last year to take him before Davis Allen and Puka Nacua. Right now, he's our backup right tackle/guard.

Beaux Limmer. Oh my fate, how did he last this long? Country strong, technical, smart, more athletic than given credit for. He's going to at least be a long-term backup, if not an eventual starter once Dotson/Jonah Jackson move on from their three-year deals.

KT Leveston. Big, strong, smart, technical. I think Ryan Wendell has a type. Maybe not athletic enough to be a left tackle, but Leveston is certainly a capable backup.

Zachary Thomas. He may be the most interesting offensive lineman. I don't think he's a starter at all, but I believe he can legitimately back up all five positions, and that has value in this era.

Logan Bruss. This is his last chance to show out, and I don't think he's safe...but he was a third-round pick for a reason. Hopefully, he can compete another year removed from his injury (which I think was the real reason he hasn't shown out), but...well, we'll see.

A.J. Arcuri. Big, technical right tackle/guard type. His job is in danger because of McClendon and Leveston, who do basically the same things, but better. Still good depth and possible practice squad, but the clock's ticking with him.

Mike McAllister. Definitely more of a center type. He'll have to learn guard on the fly, but we kept him on the roster for a reason. Practice squad seems likely.

Grant Miller. Not sure about him. Pure guard, it looks like. Don't see much of a future with him.

Blake Larson. Interesting tackle from a smaller school. Possibly developmental. Has the tools. Practice squad, possibly?

Justin Dedich. Center/guard type. Stronger than he looks, but still undersized. Don't see it with him, but I've been surprised before.

Other free agents ought to be interesting, but I think we have incredible depth. It really is going to be a privilege to see who gets where.
Yeah, you can see their OL profile certainly changed from what it was just 3 yrs ago. No longer focusing on somewhat undersized IOL that move well... Now it's about guys that can move with size, and can just blow guys off the ball.

No more finesse, now they want to bludgeon you of they have to. A much better approach when dealing with teams like the Niners.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Damn.... scrimmages during camp, are going to be just nasty, on both side of the ball!!

TexasRam

Legend
Tons of bodies for depth now.

Still to be determined if any of them will provide solid actual depth.

We do know what we have in Noteboom, which is someone that can stop the bleeding at T or guard for a few games.

I think of someone like Anchrum, we saw a few games here and there from him but until we saw extended play time we didn't realize how much he would struggle and that was after several years in the system.

jjab360

Legend
I love the optimism and I think our starting OL is filled with tone setters and one of the best starting 5 we've had in a while.

I'm not really banging the drum on any of the guys behind them at this at this time if I'm being honest though.

We know what we have in Noteboom and that's a reliable sixth man that we have buyer's remorse on now that he got beat out at LT.

Limmer has an interesting profile, I'll be watching out for him. Seems to play a bit upright for a C but will likely be an upgrade over Brian Allen.

McClendon... has some work to do to claw out of JAG territory. Hoping to see an Alaric Jackson type transformation from year 1 to year 2.

Bruss was one of the biggest draft disappointments we've had recently. I have no faith here, surprised we even brought him back for the practice squad.

And I don't see anyone else with starting potential tbh. Could be wrong, as I said Alaric surprised me when he put the work in and came out looking like a different player on the other end. Still just an average starting LT, but impressive for an UDFA.

As always, health is going to be the key to success for the OL this year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Tons of bodies for depth now.

Still to be determined if any of them will provide solid actual depth.

We do know what we have in Noteboom, which is someone that can stop the bleeding at T or guard for a few games.

I think of someone like Anchrum, we saw a few games here and there from him but until we saw extended play time we didn't realize how much he would struggle and that was after several years in the system.

Not really - Anchrum was jap 100% from Day 1. He was an add on late in the (7th rd) of the 2020 Draft.

The Rams were HORRIBLE Upfront in 2020. Jared Goff is tough.Compare The Rams Offensive Line now vs then.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams finally come to their senses and build a dominate OL. Not since the '99 SB and the doughnut Bros. have the Rams fielded a massive OL . The 2020 OL was good with Bi Whit, but the with the sized and depth of this years OL has the looks of being truly dominate.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think all the incumbents after Boom and McClendon are toast (practice squad for some).

Limmer is basically a lock, not just because he was a pick but he's only the one that can play center.

I think we now have decent depth, but really only because our 6th can play 4 positions and has shown to be a great 6th man.

Leveston will have to earn it IMO. Because of the position flex of Boom/WM/Limmer - we could get by with just the three of them. Leveston will be competing with some other positions more so than the OL in my opinion to show hes worth that 53rd spot on the roster

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, you can see their OL profile certainly changed from what it was just 3 yrs ago. No longer focusing on somewhat undersized IOL that move well... Now it's about guys that can move with size, and can just blow guys off the ball.

No more finesse, now they want to bludgeon you of they have to. A much better approach when dealing with teams like the Niners.
LOVE it!

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
Let’s say that, hypothetically, the Rams keep nine offensive linemen in the final 53. What is everyone’s current prediction?

A. Jackson
J. Jackson
Avila
Dotson
Havenstein
Noteboom
Limmer
McClendon
Leveston

The last spot is tricky, as I think KT could be put on the practice squad if the Rams don’t want to give up on Bruss just yet.

jjab360

Legend
Let’s say that, hypothetically, the Rams keep nine offensive linemen in the final 53. What is everyone’s current prediction?

A. Jackson
J. Jackson
Avila
Dotson
Havenstein
Noteboom
Limmer
McClendon
Leveston

The last spot is tricky, as I think KT could be put on the practice squad if the Rams don’t want to give up on Bruss just yet.
This list makes sense, Zach Thomas vs Leveston for the last spot imo

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He was absolutely awful at LT (Bengals game I think?) but was completely out of position there.

He was decent at OG in the preseason.
Yes - WORST thing EVER in 2023.Why not switch him & Noteboom ?

IMO Stretch will help with game time management, same thing with Bobby Evan’s in 2022.They got Matthew Stafford hurt witch cost The Rams season.

IMO The Rams really addressed needs,but Dotson really became excellent & then signing J.Jackson was excellent.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Funny, we replaced 1 guy from the 2023 OL and we're so much better there. 4 returning as well as #6 and a 2nd year guy (McClendon) and we are talking them up? FWIW, I believed Shelton was decent but also the difference between being good or very good. And does the late 6th and 7th round selections improve our depth? We'll see.

fearsomefour

Legend
Funny, we replaced 1 guy from the 2023 OL and we're so much better there. 4 returning as well as #6 and a 2nd year guy (McClendon) and we are talking them up? FWIW, I believed Shelton was decent but also the difference between being good or very good. And does the late 6th and 7th round selections improve our depth? We'll see.
One guy but two spots.
Avila moving back to his more natural position of C could be huge.
Signing Jackson gives the Rams three interior OL that play with a chip and are athletic and mobile.

fearsomefour

Legend
My depth at this point would be Noteboom, McClendon, Limmer, Thomas....because of the flexibility of Noteboom and Avila the Rams probably dress 7 or 8 lineman on game day.
Did the Rams resign Anchrum?
I had McCallister listed as by the backup C until Limmer was signed.
I expect McCallister, Bruss and this years 7th round T to end up on the practice squad.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
He was absolutely awful at LT (Bengals game I think?) but was completely out of position there.

He was decent at OG in the preseason.
I was really pissed they kept him in there. He was overmatched. It was a winnable game till Jackson went down and they subbed the wrong guy.

dang

Legend
My depth at this point would be Noteboom, McClendon, Limmer, Thomas....because of the flexibility of Noteboom and Avila the Rams probably dress 7 or 8 lineman on game day.
Did the Rams resign Anchrum?
I had McCallister listed as by the backup C until Limmer was signed.
I expect McCallister, Bruss and this years 7th round T to end up on the practice squad.
Wtf happened with Bruss? Mis-evaluated, never recovered from injuries or did he just give up.