Now that AD is extended, I have a hypothetical question for y’all...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fair point, his tenure was certainly better than the absolute awful era of LineSpags ... of the era I will henceforth refer to as The Great Suck, that part was the worst. We did have pretty good defenses and great ST's under Fish, but the incredible offensive ineptitude he displayed really dragged the team down and he just was never one to look at the results and change. So while I won't completely dump on him and will give the credit he is due, I will also be thankful that his era is over and we have a great offensive mind running the show.
Not to turn this into an anti-Fisher thread... and I agree he did some good things (on defense)... but, when Schottenheimer left, he had a great opportunity to hire a good OC... IIRC, there were some good names being bantered about. When he made the decision to go with Frank Cignetti, he should have been let go. Then, when he decided to promote Boras, he definitely should have been shown the door.

I'm not going to deny that he did some things good (truth be told, a lot of bad coaches do at least a few things good).

My main beef is that he stayed at least 2 years too long. Maybe that was on Kroenke.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Not to turn this into an anti-Fisher thread... and I agree he did some good things (on defense)... but, when Schottenheimer left, he had a great opportunity to hire a good OC... IIRC, there were some good names being bantered about. When he made the decision to go with Frank Cignetti, he should have been let go. Then, when he decided to promote Boras, he definitely should have been shown the door.

I'm not going to deny that he did some things good (truth be told, a lot of bad coaches do at least a few things good).

My main beef is that he stayed at least 2 years too long. Maybe that was on Kroenke.

I read a piece from Dan Pompei from Feb about Fisher and even as it was a slobbery piece, it detailed that none of the OCs available wanted to be part of a move. So he had to promote.

Debacled

Starter
Bottom line is money talks. I don't think the HC had any impact on this at all.

Donald didn't take a pay cut to stay here....they made him the highest paid defensive player in NFL history (even if it only lasted a day). Even when looking at QBs nobody's per year average matched or topped what Donald is getting until 2016.

Ellard80

Legend
Yeah what debacled said...

Not trying to be a dick but your premise isn't very strong since when he signed he it was the biggest defensive contract in the history of the nfl.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
but, when Schottenheimer left, he had a great opportunity to hire a good OC... IIRC, there were some good names being bantered about. When he made the decision to go with Frank Cignetti, he should have been let go. Then, when he decided to promote Boras, he definitely should have been shown the door.

Believe me, you will find it hard to find someone who agrees with your assessment as much as I do. More than anything, it was gawd-awful OC hires that did Fisher in during his tenure with the Rams. It's even worse when you consider that of the three he had, a mediocrity like Schotty was the best. Fisher sealed is own fate at the beginning by hiring Schotty over Hue Jackson. If he would have hire Hue and let him run his offense his way, he might still be coach and we might have seen some playoffs while he was here.

Debacled

Starter
I was leaning that way, but after seeing how things played out between Jon Gruden and Khalil Mack, maybe it's more relevant than we think.

I don't think Gruden had any interest in signing Mack. They had virtually no contact regarding an extension since the draft. I get the impression he doesn't think any single player (outside of the QB) is worth that much of a cap hit. They were the 20th ranked defense last year with him and appear to be entering more of a rebuild for the next couple seasons.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Aaron would have opted for free agency. No top player would stay with Fisher’s ineptitude after a few years. Fisher screwed himself by believing that he needed to control the offense.

Fisher interviewed successful offensive coordinators, like Chidzinski and DePhillipo. Something scared them off. If Fisher has given them full control of the offense then he may still be the head coach. I am glad his ego was bigger than his ability to make rational decisions.

I think AD would have opted for free agency too, but not because of Fisher, but because of the $$$'s - you forget the team LOVED Fisher, and they probably still do.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Yep, they loved Fisher.

I can’t believe any posters still give a shit anymore.

But, to each his own.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
The real question should be whether we lucked out pulling the trigger before the Mack deal? Would AD have taken his $135M deal on the heels of the Mack deal or would we have had to fork over more in that case?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think AD would have opted for free agency too, but not because of Fisher, but because of the $$$'s - you forget the team LOVED Fisher, and they probably still do.

I think they loved a Fisher the man, not the coach. After several years of inept offenses it was apparent that he wasn’t going to lead them to the playoffs.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I don't think whoever was coaching determined the signing of Donald. I think it was the record. Had this roster only produced another 4-6 win season, it would've been more prudent to go the route the raiders took. IOW, Donald alone wasn't gonna get the Rams to the playoffs, but 4 first round picks over the next 2 years and $$ left over to sign FAs would've given the Rams a chance. That's what the raiders were thinking when they traded mack.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Yep, they loved Fisher.

I can’t believe any posters still give a crap anymore.

But, to each his own.

Made a lot of toxic remarks about Fisher during his last year here but in retrospect, I can appreciate him building the roster with a plethora of talent for McVay and Phillips to work with.