Now that AD is extended, I have a hypothetical question for y’all...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
If McVay had not come in and changed Fisher’s losers into big winners last year, would AD have been inclined to stay with the Rams?

I wonder. In fact, I doubt it. AD wanted to win and it surely didn’t look like it was gonna happen with Fisher running things.

Sooooo...

Is this extension another spinoff benefit from the Sean McVay hire?

I have a follow up question. Did AD sign for less because he sees a bright future with McVay?

Tano

Legend
If McVay had not come in and changed Fisher’s losers into big winners last year, would AD have been inclined to stay with the Rams?

I wonder. In fact, I doubt it. AD wanted to win and it surely didn’t look like it was gonna happen with Fisher running things.

Sooooo...

I have a follow up question. Did AD sign for less because he sees a bright future with McVay?
He signed for less because of all the sponsorship money he is going to get after we win the Superbowl:yess:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Aaron would have opted for free agency. No top player would stay with Fisher’s ineptitude after a few years. Fisher screwed himself by believing that he needed to control the offense.

Fisher interviewed successful offensive coordinators, like Chidzinski and DePhillipo. Something scared them off. If Fisher has given them full control of the offense then he may still be the head coach. I am glad his ego was bigger than his ability to make rational decisions.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Naahhhh

Fisher was a Defensive coach

I don't even know why CJF is even part of the conversation but for those that want to ....:deadhorse:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
You'd have to ask AD what is mindset is, and you might get an answer that is more diplomatic than accurate ... but I think your hypothesis is sound.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I'm not one to completely dump on Fisher. He wasn't a very good coach, he wasn't the worst. I'm still thankful for him pulling the Rams out of absolute ineptitude, but this deal wouldn't have gotten done with Fisher in place. He wasn't going to vault the Rams into real Superbowl contenders.

I won't rule out that Snead or whatever GM was in place could have gotten a deal done with AD, but locking up a defensive MVP onto a perennial disappointment of a team would have likely looked more like Aaron Rodgers money than what AD just signed for.

So, long story short, Yes. The value of this deal and willingness of AD to sign are a reflection of the work that McVay and Snead have done in the last year.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To me, there is not doubt.

I think the players "liked" Fisher, but did not respect him towards the end.

And I think the juvenile screaming and cussing by Williams and staff fell on deaf ears after a while.

Nah, the only players who probably liked it under Fisher and staff were the ones that got away with being lazy.

Had he stayed... sooner or later, the good ones... the ones that work hard every day... the ones who could really contribute to a championship.. would have left.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Sooooo...

Yes, his signing is in large part a result of winning, the culture McVay instilled and the improved roster over the last 14 months.

McVay is a huge part not only of AD, but Peters, Cooks, Suh, Peters and Talib.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Let's not forget that Snead and Demoff were kept on. They helped a ton with Donald and the trades and signings.

TexasRam

Legend
Donald has been through losing. He didn’t like it much.

No question signing with a young powerful Super Bowl Contender came into play in his mind.

So we can maybe thank Fisher yet again.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Fisher drafted quite a few of our young stars. We might not even have Donald here in the first place if it wasn’t for him. While many likely rag on fish, I am actually glad he was our head coach. He assembled a talented roster, especially on defense, and got us out of the gutter.

His ego prevented him from becoming a great head coach. I still think he can become successful if he decides to be hands off with the offense.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Aaron has a chance to play for a Super Bowl under McVay, something that wasn't happening with JF.

While not a deciding factor, it undoubtedly made it easier for Donald, to get paid, and play for one of the top teams in the NFL.

RamWoodie

Legend
I think AD simply wanted to be highest paid and to secure his future. He deserved it...that is why he inked the deal, which is historic.

The rest doesn't matter...especially when it comes to Fisher. He got the team as far as he could...it was time for a change.

Ram65

Legend
Fisher did draft AD. Who knows what a different coach would have done. I'm sure McVay helping the Rams get back to a winning record helped with AD wanting to stay a Ram. AD might be sitting at home if he didn't want to stay with the Rams. Rams were not going to trade him and held the franchise tag ability. Fisher will always be a part of the Rams history so you take the good and the bad. We know the bad offense held the Rams back. We know he had left enough good pieces for the Rams to make a quick turnaround.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm not one to completely dump on Fisher. He wasn't a very good coach, he wasn't the worst. I'm still thankful for him pulling the Rams out of absolute ineptitude

Fair point, his tenure was certainly better than the absolute awful era of LineSpags ... of the era I will henceforth refer to as The Great Suck, that part was the worst. We did have pretty good defenses and great ST's under Fish, but the incredible offensive ineptitude he displayed really dragged the team down and he just was never one to look at the results and change. So while I won't completely dump on him and will give the credit he is due, I will also be thankful that his era is over and we have a great offensive mind running the show.